Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I will probably be entertaining myself here, but for those who care, I´ll make this thread the official SK Rapid Wien pre-Season 2002/03 Thread.

So, who´s in, who´ll be out? What´s the situation with the Sportdirektor? I´ll post all the news I get when it comes to Rapid here :)

Transfer Market:

In: Steffen Hofmann (Bayern München Amateure): does not exactly sound like the transfer bomb everyone expects, but from my understanding he´s been doing a pretty good job at his current employer and definitely worth a shot. I welcome him.

Other names that float around are some Croatian player called Piric (formerly at Ulm), the inevitable Ali-Daei - rumour came up recently as well, there´s an Irish player called Goodwin who currenly has trials at Rapid, and the romours around Michael Baur and Wolfgang Mair can still be heard. Leoben - striker Parapatits is also in the mix...

Out: Günther Schiesswald and Gaston Taument were supposed to be drafted at the end of the season since the contracts of both are about to expire, if I´m not mistaken. After their recent displays, however, both are in contest again. I´d like to see at least Schiesswald getting another chance - perhaps a 1-year - contract? There´s not much depth to speak of in the Rapid-backline, so it would be a bit risky to get rid of him.

I always sort of liked Taument, especially last fall when he had some amazing displays. However, he is neither the youngest nor the cheapest player in Rapid´s squad, so offloading him would be okay with me since Matthäus is not planning with him anyway. Same goes for Jürgen Kauz who had like - what? 10 matches? - in his time at Rapid. Plus, we have Ivanschitz who is the team´s future anyway.

Oliver Lederer? Thankfully, he was already sent to the Amateur´s squad last winter. He has no future at Rapid. He´s 2nd division material... another wasted talent.

Oliver Freund is supposed to make his way back to Germany. Don´t know where he´ll land, though - maybe Freiburg?

I have never really understood why Jürgen Saler has been rated that highly at Rapid - after having won the lottery, his performances even further dropped, so I wouldn´t mind seeing him trying his luck someplace else.

The coaches´ situation (I consider Matthäus to be the coach - just to avoid misunderstandings) is a difficult one. I never was and never will be an advocate of discharging the coach in bad times, and I am fine with seeing that SKR obviously plans to keep him for the new season. THe majority of Rapid-fans are with me on this, as it seems, hearing how they cheered him in the last matches. I tend to give him the benefit of doubt but simultaneously warn that the fan´s credit might be over sooner than expected once the new season turns out to become an equally miserable one as this one.

That´s all that comes to my mind now, but I promise I´ll keep myself updated! :D

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Ernst Dokupil: Rapid ist wie ein kopfloses Hendl.
Rapid makes exactly the same mistakes we made during the mid 90s. At first they let some of their best players go, saying they want to rely on young players. That doesn't work. They bring in a German coach and a lot of old or/and mediocre players and hope for a better year, having no concept at all.

Steffen Hoffmann is the hero of Bayern Amateure? Markus Oberleitner had the same image, even a full contract with the 1st team - he is not exactly the strongest player of FC Kärnten now.

That's just one example for the crazy transfer policy of Rapid: You need an experienced goalgetter, a real libero (Baur will stay in Tirol), not supplementary players.

Rapid entertains its fans with signings like:
-top scorer of the Slovenian league
-best midfielder at Bayern amateure
-central defender at Croatias leading team in the table

We heard such things for years - those players are pure mediocrity and nothing more. It's a shame that Rapid keeps the living catastrophy Matthäus to keep sponsors - and to splash out money on players you would consider for Bregenz..but not for Rapid...looks like another fight for something like 6th to 8th place in the table.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Sounds reasonable Viola, and , yes, there's definitely some similarity to signings made prior to Stronach.

What I don't see is Rapid sticking with Matthäus. I think his time is over and I think it's the best Rapid could do, though it would cost some money.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed on the transfer matter, but mind you - a player being cheap or unknown doesn´t necessarily make him a bad one. Think back to the winter signings of Ivan Knez or Maciej Adamski - both came in for free, being no-names, and adapted pretty quickly to the Austrian league and proved to be enforcements.

That´s all I am asking for at the moment anyway.

That said, I too hope that there´ll be a somwhat big / known name joining Rapid in summer in order to lift us in higher league table - regions.

Meanwhile, Zizo Kranjcar pointed out his interest in joining Rapid, and if Matthäus would have to leave the club, I´d like Zizo to take over the helm - he´s a SKR legend and would probably be very accepted by the fans.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Kranjcar would be a good choice.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Quentin, just think about it. Did Adamski and Co really improve your squad? I say no. They are average players like you can find them in Austria too or build yourself in a good youth system.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
I would say they're ok players, used within a wrong system. Knez isn't the right man for his position, he should be used as a lateral defender or a defensive midfielder. Adamski is inconsistent, just as Feldhofer. With a good libero, they would be valuable players...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I have seen from both Adamski and Knez, yes, I think they strengthened our squad.

You´re right about Knez, though - I´d like seeing him as a DMID too. And about Adamski, I don´t think that he was THAT inconsistent at all while Feldhofer had a few shaky performances. But I think we can agree that if in form, he would be an enforcement for any BL team.

But the more striking news could be that Lothar Matthäus is indeed about to resign... at least according to German news agencies. Let´s wait what this turns out to be - rumor or fact?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Josef Hickersberger will take over the vacant coaching spot at SK Rapid Wien for the next season. The former Austrian NT coach succeeds luckless German Lothar Matthäus.

I would have preferred Kranjcar - isn´t Hickersberger actually more into FAK than SKR? I know he once played fpr both clubs, didn´t he?

Anyway, welcome at Rapid, and may you be a lot more successful than Matthäus was :)

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Hickersberger had spells with both clubs. He's surely better than Loddar, but not the best of solutions. Maybe a good solution for the young players.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts