Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six finalists listed for Fifa top-player gong

Thursday 27th June 2002

Fifa have short-listed ten players for the Golden Ball award for the World Cup's best player. Four Brazilians - Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos and Ronaldinho - are in the running along with two Germans, Oliver Kahn and Michael Ballack.

A media delegation will announce the winner next Tuesday.

The list is headed by Ronaldo, whose outstanding form at the finals is all the more impressive in view of the fact that he spent virtually all of last season on the sidelines with knee and thigh injuries.

His team-mate Rivaldo, who currently trails Ronaldo in the running for the Golden Boot award having scored five goals to his six, is also in contention having been at the hub of much of Brazil's incisive attacking play at the tournament.

Roberto Carlos scored a free-kick goal against China and the Real Madrid full-back and onefootball.com columnist has looked at his attacking best throughout the competition.

Ronaldinho is widely regarded as the brightest newcomer to the world scene having often eclipsed his more established team-mates with some exquisitely skilful displays.

Bayern Munich-bound Michael Ballack earned a nomination on the strength of his surging runs from midfield and his goal tally of three that has helped propel Germany to the final.

His team-mate Oliver Kahn was described by Franz Beckenbaur as "the only world class player in the German team" and makes the short-list after heroic performances against the Republic of Ireland and USA in particular.

Turkey's Hasan Sas is the only player at the tournament so far to have given Cafu something to think about having beaten him on the blindside to open his country's goalscoring account at the finals before starring for a narrowly-beaten side in the semi-final.

South Korea's heroic run was orchestrated by Guus Hiddink but skipper Hong Myung-Bo has deservedly been placed on the short-list for his imperious leading of the team on the field.

Arguably the most exciting team to burst onto the world stage was Senegal with Liverpool's new signing El Hadji Diouf the star of their show. His mesmeric displays against France and Uruguay went a long way to earning his nomination.

And despite yet another example of underachievement from Spain, their skipper Fernando Hierro, who has now retired from international football, is short-listed having marshalled the back-four with composed authority before they crashed out to South Korea.

The committee nominating the player is headed by JEF United Ichihara coach Dr Jozef Venglos heads the group. His assistants include former Scotland boss Andy Roxburgh and former Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira.

Current bosses who have a say are Australia's Frank Farina, Romania's Angel Iordanescu, Colombia's Francisco Maturana and Canada boss Holger Osieck. Sturm Graz coach Ivica Osim and former Ghana forward Abedi Pele also voted.

The last two winners were Brazilian, Ronaldo in 1998 and Romario in 1994. Before then, Italy forward Salvatore Schillaci won it in 1990 while Diego Maradona was the 1986 winner.

onefootball ;)

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
RONALDO....Ronaldo will be the golden boot winner!!

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
diouf for a nutreal persons view
he was really good this world cup

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Rivaldo with his play-acting managed to get into the top 6 players of the tournament? And FIFA wanted to have the best man on the field? I do not think so!

Ollie Kahn. Damm! If Defence win the cup, then, Ollie is the right person for the title.

ciao!

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
How stupid is that. :dazed: :fero:

True the player of teh tournament is there: Oliver Kahn. But the others :confused: I can agfree with Ronaldo, buit Carlos is quite average this tournament and soo is Ballack. If you have to add another German it should be Schneider. But in the end this team only relies on 1 player, much like Argentina did in '86.

As for Ronaldinho he's ok but mor elike the revelation who didn't show much in several games. Rivaldo on the other hand is the best indidvidual in the tournament. Still in several games he managed to be even more selfish than in Barcelona (which indeed is a performance :D). No matter how good you are if you have 3 opponents in front of you and a team mate is standing free, you have to pass that ball. Rivaldo does not uinderstand that and therefore doesn't deserve such an award. :stuckup:

For me the best fieldplayer throughout the entire tournament was Hasan Sas.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I seriously don't think Roberto Carlos should be in the list, if they are saying about defenders who can also attack, Cafu will be a fairer choice as he has not only contributed in the offense but also defended superbly.

My choice will either go for Ronaldo or Rivaldo. IMO, both players actually deserve to get the award.

·
Registered
46,358 Posts
Here is my opinion (but the finas could change it):

1 - Kahn
2 - Rivaldo
3 - Ronaldinho
4 - Ronaldo
5 - Ballack
6 - Hasan Sas
7 - Diouf
8 - Hierro
9 - Roberto Carlos
10 - Hong (he is the captain, but in my opinion the best player of Korea was Ahn)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The top Six in My opinion

1 - Kahn ( By far.Nobody comes close.)
2 - Ronaldinho
3 - Hassan Sas
4 - Ahn Jung Hwan = H M Bo
5 - Ballack
6 - Ronaldo

Many people think Ballack hasnt been too good. I disagree, his crossing has been simply awesome and with 3 goals and 4 assists, he is clearly the second most important player in the German team.Schneider has been good too but Ballack has always been there when it mattered and he has made some crucial tackles too.

Kahn,Sas and Ronaldinho are simply in a different league.The rest are a fair way down.Ronaldo has scored the most goals but that doesnt score as high as playing WITH the team in my notebook.

Kahn should win or even I will start whining !!!

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
1. Ronaldo
2. Oliver Kahn
3. Rio Ferdinand
4. Ronaldinho
5. Rivaldo
6. Hong Myung Bo
7. Christian Vieri
8. Fernando Hierro
9. El-Hadj Diouf
10. Michael Ballack

That adds up to 3 defenders (Ferdinand, Hong, Hierro), 1 (Kahn) goalkeeper, 2 midfielders (Ballack, Ronaldinho), and 4 strikers (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Vieri, Diouf). I'm not sure about the number of midfielders here, but I can't think of many more that have had a good tournament.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The top player is no doubt Olli Kahn.He has almost singlehandedly inspired and willed Germany thru the quaters and semis.
Coming a close second are Rivaldo and Sas.Rivaldo has not only scored goals and also setup crucial ones like the one against turkey in the group stages.True Rivaldo is selfish and tries too much but thats his strength and Brazil have relied a lot on the individual brilliance of the 3 r's and foregoing that wouldn't be of much use.Sas was great overall and has been the revelation,IMO he has been more consistent as compared to Ronaldinho. Posseses great dribbling,finishing and runs well with the ball.He could improve his distribution to become the complete player
3.Ballack for his matchwinning displays and great crosses
4.Ronaldinho
5.Ronaldo
6.Hierro and Ferdinand
7.Diouf

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Diouf ?

Hey Indian dude !!!

I felt like picking someone from Senegal but I wasnt really sure. In the two matches of Senegal's that I saw completely - France and Turkey, Diouf was impressive versus Turkey but played very deep against France.So deep that the only thing he did was to draw defenders to himself. I think Camara and Coly did well in most of the matches.

How is Indiandudette ?
And what do u think of Deutschland's chances?

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
I'm missing C. Metzelder in the list. He is one of the biggest WC surprises IMHO ! He ís just 21 years old but played like he already has the experience of 2 or 3 WC tournaments so far. Everyone is talking about Rio Ferdinand and that ManU is probably willing to pay 40 Mio € for him, but don't forget Metzelder !
OK, lets wait what he is able to show in the finals, but his performance is really fantastic so far.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sure

Tegtmeier said:
I'm missing C. Metzelder in the list. He is one of the biggest WC surprises IMHO ! He ís just 21 years old but played like he already has the experience of 2 or 3 WC tournaments so far. Everyone is talking about Rio Ferdinand and that ManU is probably willing to pay 40 Mio € for him, but don't forget Metzelder !
OK, lets wait what he is able to show in the finals, but his performance is really fantastic so far.
Yup. Metzelder has been awesome. The only reason he hasnt been noticed yet is because King Kahn has completely stolen the show. In fact, IMO Metzelder has been probably the most effective defender in the WC so far.

I wonder why nobody noticed what Sol Campbell was doing when Rivaldo scored. He was supposed to mark Rivaldo but instead was standing in no mans land trying to stand in the way of Ronaldinho. If he had marked Rivaldo properly, he could have prevented Rivaldo from shooting. You dont expect such elementary mistakes at this level.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i heard that rivaldo win it..i think that if ronaldinho would have played against costa rica (already had a yellow...didn't want to miss a game in the knock-out stage) and turkey (red carded)...he would have been the winner of the award

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FIFA announce All-Star squad Friday 28 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italian striker Christian Vieri has failed to make it into the official FIFA All-Star World Cup squad.

The football world organising body have revealed the names of the 16 men whom they consider to have been the players of the tournament.

Vieri was included in a shortlist of 33 players but didn¡¦t survive the final cut. The full squad is as follows:

Goalkeepers: Oliver Kahn (Germany), Rustu Recber (Turkey)

Defenders: Roberto Carlos (Brazil), Sol Campbell (England), Fernando Hierro (Spain), Hong Myung-Bo (South Korea), Alpay Ozalan (Turkey)

Midfielders: Michael Ballack (Germany), Claudio Reyna (USA), Rivaldo (Brazil), Ronaldinho (Brazil), Yoo Sang-Chul (South Korea)

Forwards: Ronaldo (Brazil), El Hadji Diouf (Senegal), Hasan Sas (Turkey), Miroslav Klose (Germany)

channel4 ;)

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
Re: Sure

gautam said:
I wonder why nobody noticed what Sol Campbell was doing when Rivaldo scored. He was supposed to mark Rivaldo but instead was standing in no mans land trying to stand in the way of Ronaldinho. If he had marked Rivaldo properly, he could have prevented Rivaldo from shooting. You dont expect such elementary mistakes at this level.
Campbell had to make a decision. Either he stood between Ronaldinho and the goal, or he gave Ronaldinho a clear run at Seaman. He made the right choice, as there was no other defender covering Ronaldino.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Re: Re: Sure

Bastin said:

Campbell had to make a decision. Either he stood between Ronaldinho and the goal, or he gave Ronaldinho a clear run at Seaman. He made the right choice, as there was no other defender covering Ronaldino.
Ronaldinho has shown a reluctance to take shots at goal himself. That fact was amply proved in the Belgium match. And having watched the match and analysed it , campbell should have known better than to try to tackle Ronaldinho.

My point is : Even if he wanted to tackle Ronaldinho, he should have decided a lot earlier. Watch the replay - He wasnt even close to him and by the time the ball came to Rivaldo, he was too far away from Rivaldo too even though he made a brave lunge in the end.

A tactical blunder.At this level you have to thoroughly understand the mechanics of your opponents attack. I'm afraid England didnt look like they did that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts