Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.undercover.com

Pearl Jam’s eighth studio record will be a self-titled set to be released on May 2nd.

The first single from the record is a track titled ‘World Wide Suicide’ which will be coming out on March 8.

This will be Pearl Jam’s first album on J Records.

"It's a very special opportunity for us to work with a band that possesses such an historic legacy," comments J Records founder and BMG U.S. Label Group Chairman Clive Davis.

Pearl Jam will announce a world tour later this month.

woo hoo world tour,rumour has it that they will be comming down australias way nov/dec..hope it happens

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
ups.. thought of PJ Harvey. ;)

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Me too, gutted. :(
We can still take the thread over if we are enough ;)

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Darragh1987 said:
www.undercover.com

Pearl Jam’s eighth studio record will be a self-titled set to be released on May 2nd.

The first single from the record is a track titled ‘World Wide Suicide’ which will be coming out on March 8.

This will be Pearl Jam’s first album on J Records.

"It's a very special opportunity for us to work with a band that possesses such an historic legacy," comments J Records founder and BMG U.S. Label Group Chairman Clive Davis.

Pearl Jam will announce a world tour later this month.

woo hoo world tour,rumour has it that they will be comming down australias way nov/dec..hope it happens
Great news. This album has taken its time. It was supposed to come out at the end of 2005 and finally it'll be released in May. Normally, they always played the new songs in the concerts before even the album was released. I had heard "I am mine" way before "Riot Act" came out. But this time is all a secret. In their South American tour, they played the old songs. Actually, they were touring with Mudhoney there. It'd be great that they do a tour together with Dr. Mark Arm and company.

The new single will be available for free in the fan club web site on March 8.

·
Registered
43,712 Posts
Koeman4 said:
Actually, they were touring with Mudhoney there. It'd be great that they do a tour together with Dr. Mark Arm and company.
Not the first time though. I caught Pearl Jam with Mudhoney opening for them in Singapore back in '95.

·
40,147 Posts
Firdaus said:
Not the first time though. I caught Pearl Jam with Mudhoney opening for them in Singapore back in '95.
Yeah, I read about that tour. It was an interview with Steve Turner, the guitar player of Mudhoney. They had been touring with Nirvana before. He said that the last shows of Nirvana were a pain. It seems that the drugs and the alcohol were beating them so madly that they tried to make a "dry tour", but the result was even worse. It seems that the atmosphere was awful, with lots of fights and problems.

Ironically, Mark Arm was quite mad with Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard, since the two guys of Pearl Jam left Green River in the mid 80s. Mark Arm was all the time calling the "careerists"... you know, not "punk" or "alternative" enough. Actually, the whole initial mess between Cobain and Pearl Jam comes from that. Kurt Cobain became Mark Arm's friend and Cobain just repeated the same things. Even Dave Grohl said that he had heard Cobain saying "how can you call Pearl Jam alternative? They have a lead guitar, they're just a ****ing commercial band". You know, like that cynical punk pose. Dave Grohl said: "I didn't say anything, but I was thinking that I love many bands with lead guitars and I felt weird". :D

Anyway, then Mudhoney met Pearl Jam in that tour and the personal problems among the old members of Green River disappeared. But as long as Steve Turner said, he was thiking "wow... if this is the Nirvana tour, I can't imagine how awful is gonna be with Pearl Jam". :D It seems that also PJ had problem, since McCready was into heroine too and also Gossard and Vedder had their problems. In any case, it seems that, despite all the problems, the people of Pearl Jam faced the problems in a different way.

I am happy for the people of Pearl Jam, because they had to swallow so much shit at the begining. Labeled as fake band, as if they were Silverchair or Bush; with that Rolling Stone magazine hitting at them whenever they could, just for not following their rules; and the same goes for MTV; and the Ticketmaster thing in the US...

After all, all that grunge pose had to be horrible for these bands. "You have to be this way to be reliable, if not, you're commercial trash". Then you can like PJ or not, but I like their integrity... they're just Pearl Jam. I think that they just wanted to be a rock and roll band and they achieved it... and the same goes for Mudhoney. Riot Act sold around 500,000 records, nothing compared to their 3 first albums, but still wherever they go, the concerts are full of people and they have fun playing music, and comfortable out of that pressure of "grunge". I saw on TV their concert in Sao Paulo last year and it was great.

Well.. this is too long. But talking about Mudhoney and Pearl Jam, they played together MC5's Kick Out the Jams and it was amazing. Mark Arm said at the end "this answers the 20 year old question: how would Green River, Shadow (Mike McCready) and Skin Yard (Matt Cameron) sound together?". They started grunge, they are the only ones alive now.

Pearl Jam and Mudhoney are veeeery different, but I'd really love to see them touring together... so yes, I envy you. :D

·
40,147 Posts
Darragh1987 said:
interesting stuff there koeman

poor grohl haha his fav band is led zeppelin,page doesnt mind a solo.cobain is an idiot..having a lead player makes you commercial..riiiiiiite..he said alot of stupid things
I really like Nirvana and, well, he also liked lead guitars, knowing his influences. I think Kurt Cobain had too many contradictions in his head. The success of Nirvana was unexpected. Before all the explossion of grunge, with Nevermind, I think that nobody would have said that they were going to be the flag of the movement. I think that Mudhoney and Soundgarden were highly ranked in Seattle, even Mother Love Bone. After all, the people of these 3 bands were the one who really started the whole thing.

Cobain had a "pop" soul too. He liked The Beatles a lot, for example... come on, About a girl is soooo Beatle. So he was supposed to be a punk and, suddenly, he was selling more albums than Michael Jackson. He didn't have a strong personality and he had problems to deal with success. It's stupid, because not for selling a lot you're "commercial". And even if you are, who cares? As long as you keep the control on what you do...

But he said one thing and he acted in a different way many times. Like that report that they did for Rolling Stone. He appeared with a shirt saying something like "corporate media still sucks", but he was there and he was making photo sessions. He appeared posing for tabloids kissing Courtney Love and, it wasn't a paparazzi pic, it was a pic in a studio. So you can also take the conclussion that he didn't hate it at all. But at the same time, I am pretty sure that he was thinking "oh, what are they going to think about me? am I a sellout?". I think he just didn't find his way.

Kurt Cobain hated the production of Nevermind. He said a lot of shit about Butch Vig, "it's overproduced". There are many ways to produce an album, but come on, how can he complain? I am sure that he complains because, somehow, he didn't want to take the responsability of selling so many albums. "Am I like Guns and Roses after all?". Butch Vig said that it's true that Cobain wasn't very sure about the production of Nevermind while they were doing it. But he went to talk to Cobain and said something like "hey, didn't you like The Beatles?" and he convinced Cobain in that way.

Then Pearl Jam was the "commercial band". I don't think Nirvana sold their music to make money. I don't think they pretended to sound cool for the radio. But he should have accepted to sell so many albums in a natural way. But I never understood why he wanted to smash Pearl Jam, that was so stupid. Pearl Jam is more classic, they owe a lot to classic bands of the 60s and 70s, more than just punk, but that's all.

Cobain was a kid. Maybe Mark Arm was mad with Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard, but that was something personal and I guess he had his reasons... you never know. But Cobain? That story makes him sound like someone who got influenced very easily by other people. It wasn't his battle. I also read that Jeff Ament said that he didn't know Kurt Cobain much, because Nirvana appeared a bit later in the scene. Ament said that he started to hear what Cobain was saying about him and Gossard. One day, he found Cobain in a bar or a party and he went to talk to him and asked him "why are you saying all this?" and Cobain just turned his back and left. After all, he didn't have any reason to hit people he didn't even know well... he just wanted to look "punk". It's so silly.

At the end, Cobain didn't have such a bad relationship with Eddie Vedder. In fact, Eddie Vedder always talked great about Cobain, saying that he was a reference and things like that. I guess that they all finished tired of getting asked about the "rival" band, the damn "grunge" thing and all this.

Now they are all 40 years old and I am sure that they see how stupid were some things said and done back then. Just look at it, Mark Arm, Steve Turner, Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard playing together on stage 20 years after Green River. I think that, after all, the death of Kurt Cobain was a liberation for the rest. They just play rock music, that's all. Even Dave Grohl played with Pearl Jam in Australia. He was there on holidays and he showed up to say "hi" and it seems that Jack Irons had health problems and Irons told him to replace him, when he didn't feel well enough to play... Dave Grohl said he was scared, but he couldn't say "no" to a friend. Imagine, Dave Grohl with Pearl Jam... what would have Kurt said about it? :D

Waiting for March 8th. :D

·
Registered
43,712 Posts
Some nice stuff there, Koeman4. I'm aware of it (mostly from the Pearl Jam perspective), but what a way to summarise. :D

Cobain is still a mystery to me. Your post reminded me of a lot of things back in the day and when I was younger. Now looking back, did Cobain really die for his art, as some say? Was it worth it? I know that he had drug problems, personal problems (with Courtney, etc) but he did seem like the music had taken over his life.

So many people are grateful that Cobain freed the music world from those hair-metal acts (Warrant, Winger, etc). All the copies of true greats.

But with grunge and alternative, the same thing ended up happening - all bands copying each other, etc. There was no change. The copies that saturate the industry and end up killing the genre have always been here. We had it during the Beatles reign; the punk phase; heavy metal; we had it when punk hit the roof commercially after Green Day; Britpop, we had/have it with Nu-Metal; in hip hop (ouch); etc.

And what might even hit home a lot more for you is that there are so many Vedder imitators that it's unreal. Creed, Five For Fighting and a bunch of generic bands who all sound the same now.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Firdaus said:
Cobain is still a mystery to me. Your post reminded me of a lot of things back in the day and when I was younger. Now looking back, did Cobain really die for his art, as some say? Was it worth it? I know that he had drug problems, personal problems (with Courtney, etc) but he did seem like the music had taken over his life. . The copies that saturate the industry and end up killing the genre have always been here. We had it during the Beatles reign; the punk phase; heavy metal; we had it when punk hit the roof commercially after Green Day; Britpop, we had/have it with Nu-Metal; in hip hop (ouch); etc.
yer spot on, i mean you could tell he wanted to push it creatively but was stuck in a rut for some reason..record company pressure would of been a big hurdle.seems like he would of hade to make a new band/start a lebel or change his name or somthing.. General Cobain :tongue:

·
40,147 Posts
Darragh1987 said:
world wide suicide?

yer i rekon it rawks!
Yeah, it rocks. A good start, more rocker than... any first single since Vitalogy? No Code had "Who You Are", Yield had "Given To Fly", Binaural had "Nothing As It seems" and Riot Act had "I am mine"... so that's a change, I wonder if that represents the album somehow.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Me too, gutted. :(
Ditto. She's better anyway. :D

I like a few Pearl Jam songs... Do the Evolution, Jeremy etc. but generally not my kind of stuff.

·
40,147 Posts
Darragh1987 said:
well people who have heard the whole album say it does.its a mostly rocky,angry album.best pj single since given to fly!
Well, it'll be a mix of angry rock with mid tempo songs. It always was... and I don't care, because songs like Black, Oceans, Daughter, Better Man, Off He Goes, etc. are great too.

I agree with you. It's their best single in a long time... since Last Kiss, if you ask me. :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmm yer it always is a good mixture with pj.im not sure if i like the rockers or ballads better,its all good!

cant wait for them to anounce an australian leg for the world tour.we are getting tool,ben harper and pearl jam in the one year!!!

·
40,147 Posts
BTW, did you hear the B-sides of the single? I think they go in the album too. Unemployable sounds so 60s, it's slower than World Wide Suicide and the voice the Vedder is produced to look like if there were 2 people singing. I like it a lot, it's a really nice song.

Another one is a live version of "Gone", which will be among the slowest songs of Pearl Jam. I don't know how the album version will be, but it's just a guitar, no bass, no drums. As far as I know, it'll be in the album too.

Finally, "Comatose" is another angry song, broken voice, quite rough. It's also a live version, not very well recorded by the way. It's too obvious it was recorded live and the quality isn't good at all.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts