Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok maybe i own the copyright of this topic to someone else but this is the internet right :)

i just wanted to say that i'm not that optimistic about euro2000 because of a number of reasons.

1) just as in 1998 we've done quite well in our last couple of friendly games. therefore there has been some euforism in the media but also in the team. the wc in france prooved there is a huge difference between friendly games and games that really matter.

2) just as in 1998 our national coach refuses to pick the best players. once again working hard is prefered above talent. although i know football has become more phiscal, i don't believe belgium has enough talent to leave players as baseggio and degryse at home.

no we have a situation where our defence and even more iomportant our midfield hasn't enough skill. there is no way these 8 players can keep the ball in the team. if you look at goor vanderhaeghe wilmots verheyen, my first reaction was laughing then crying. what difference would basegio and degryse (instead of vanderhaeghe wilmots) make!

again i have to say football has evolved. physical skills aren't enough. everybody fioghts nowadays. therefore our talented players shoud fight. this is the only way 'cause we can't learn our strong players how to be a genious

------------------
Always trying to be modest. And damn proud of it!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I agree on some points with you but not all..

The media may be too euforic about our results the last couple of games but i think Waseige is a good coach and knows how to talk with the players. They know that these games aren't the same at Euro 2000.

In 1998 we also had a problem to score i think and with Nilis/Strupar Mpenza that is solved for me..

We always are playing same sort of tactic so the players know what they have to do. In France we changed tactic for almost all the games.

I wouldn't put Degryse in place of Wilmots. Maybe Bassegio in place of Vanderhaeghe.. Wilmots is a good midfielder and i would put Degryse at the position of Nilis/Strupar. Strupar doesn't seems that good at me anymore and Degryse played like this with his team GBA. On midfield his qualities won't show up that much..

I think we have a good mix between talent and players who are working hard.. What talented player did we also left home , not counting Degryse , Bassegio ?

Waseige did a good job choosing his players for Euro2000. He couldn't risk to much with young talented players otherwise the people would be complaining at him. And the results are giving him right .. until now.

But i hope that after Euro2000 he will pick some other players to work for the next World Cup like Bassegio, Somers, Roussel, Englebert, Vanhandenhoven,.. Our U21 are really talented and they should be ready for the World Cup...

ALL will depend on our first game as i already said. If we win it we have a good chance to go to the next round. If we draw or lose, bye bye Belgium i think ..

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 01-06-2000).]

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe you're right. when i read my first message again, it looked like i think the same way about wasseige as i did/do about leekens. that is not the case.

wasseige is a smart guy as for leekens.. . i won't start on him or this topic will have to be deleted because of faul language. anyway yes now we have a clear concept. in 98 i don't believe we had a concept at all.

i have to disagree on wilmots (and verheyen) though. i really think in the case of wilmots: the position he plays is really important. there has to be a player that has ideas and that has good passing maybe more important a player that doesn't loose the ball.

if the "ma" looses the ball, he has a lot of players in front of him. players who in that moment can't defend. loosing the ball at that moment is leathal. this happens to wilmots a lot. of course he tries to correct his mistake (more than degryse, scifo or vandepoaar would) a that is good, but (to quote cruyf) nobody is faster than the ball. soo it often results in a big chance for the opponent

just look at it saturday (?) in the denemark game or else in the sweden game but i'm afraid if it happens then you can't be that cool and analytic about it. it promise it will happen.

------------------

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I will pay good attention to Wilmots saturday and see if you're right ;)

But who would you place in to right midfield instead of Verheyen ?? M.Mpenza ? Our would you take another player who isn't selected in the squad. I can't think of player who would be better at this place for the moment..

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good question. maybe hendrickx, i think right on the midfield is his best place. or englebert in luik he started on the right side as stvv-supporter youy should know better than me were he oplayed for st-truiden. i like him very much and i think he can do it. but that's too late now. let's just hope for the best.

although i must admit the national team doesn't affect me as id did 5 years ago. the fact that there are soo much players i can't stand has a lot to do with that. but it's better then with leekens then i was happy when they lost, now i want them to win

------------------

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Englebert played more on the central midfield. He was really awesome with us and we had many problems to replace him. We still haven't. He was THE man on the midfield. Recovering the balls, passing, crossing,.. We really missed him this season. I think he played well in Brugge too but i don't consider him yet to have a place in the national team. Maybe in a few years.. Hendrickx would be a good choice but his problem is that he can play at too much places and Waseige takes him as backup i think.

Well, the national team didn't care me with Leekens, but before that and now i like them very much. Even the players who i can't stand, i still don't like them very much when they're playing in the national team but i don't hate them those 90 min ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts