Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you think,there are some similarities between these teams,and belgian team of 1980 finished second in euro 1980 with stars like gerets,van moer,phaff,van der elst,and ceulemans.
it wasn't one of the strongest teams according to the experps but they played as a team without any "anelka" or "ronaldo" who gets all the passes and score all goals,its the same thing with this team i think and i think they also can finish second or something this year.
5 best player this year is de wilde,stealens,walem,nilis and.......wilmots

[This message has been edited by nasty nick (edited 01-06-2000).]

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Well, I was just born in 1980 so it's really hard to compare them for me :)

In 1980 they came so far because of their fighting spirit and they were playing like a team. Other teams didn't pay attention to Belgium cause they thought it would be an easy game against them. That was a huge advantage and today we don't have that anymore. We're still not considered as one of the best teams but most coaches think Belgium will do great on Euro2000 and know when they confront them now, they should be aware of them.
In 1980 there were also only 8 teams in 2 groups i think so it was much easier to play the final. Now we have 16 teams who belong to the best of the world. Put Argentina, Brazil,.. with these teams and you have a almost perfect World Cup.

It will depend on the form of the day and also you have to got some luck...

For me the best and important players of this team are De Wilde, Staelens, Wilmots and Mpenza..
Walem won't play much and i don't like him. He doesn't play great games with the national team i think..

If we play like in our friendly games we have a good chance to go to the second round and then everything is possible, but i still have my doubts about them. All will depend from the result against Sweden !

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you think about the old stars incl.
gerets,van moer phaff and co?

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
i don't think you can compare these situtaions (although i only was 3 in 1980).

first of all football has changed. it has become more physsical now. in 1980 a team could make the differce by working hard, now all teams work hard even a team full of ballerina's like italy. the teams that don't, don't really make a chance as talented as they might be (romania).

second the team of 1980 didn't have stars but they had worldclass players (pfaff, gerets but also vandereyken) they were underestimated. now we have a lot of players that just suck (looking at you verheyen).

------------------
Always trying to be modest. And damn proud of it!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Pfaff was great i think. The keepers who we have know certainly aren't that good as him are they telling me.. But sill we have very good goalies !

Gerets, a great defender, never gave up, always fighting for the ball. He isn't called The Lion for nothing :)

Ceulemans, simply amazing. One of the best !

Van Moer, this is the guy who actually brought us to the European Championship in 1980. He was playing on low level when national coach Guy Thys asked him if he would like to play again with the Red Devils. He hadn't played for more then 5 years for the national team and Thys was taking a huge risk. But Van Moer played as good as before and had some decisive moments...

The others i just know so names but not much about them, maybe someone else..

Luc Millecamps, Swat Van der Elst, Erwin Vandenbergh, Julien Cools, Walter Meeuws, Rene Vandereycken, Raymond Mommens are some of them.

--------------------------------------------------------

gOD, i don't like Verheyen either (i hate him actually that stupid arrogant thing :() but you have to admit that he plays some good games and never gives up, Has good fighting spirit and scores easily goals. And i think we have one world class player in our team : Mpenza !

D

·
0 Posts
I think the best 5 players in the squad are:

1) Lorenzo Staelens - Libero with great vision.
2) Emile Mpenza - A speedy striker who gets better every year.
3) Luc Nilis - Exceptionally talented front-runner whose role as a provider could be vital for the team.
4) Yves Vanderhaege - A hard-working controlling midfielder who is praised for his attitude. A great Anderlecht buy.
5) Marc Wilmots - Powerful and expereinced midfielder. Prefers to play behind the strikers where he is most dangerous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts