Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Correct me if you feel differently as I didn't get to watch nearly as much WC '06 as I wanted to since I was working a lot and it came on at bad times for me. So my memory of it may not be the best.

But here are the similarities and differences in terms of the team and the expectations.

Similarities:

- 2 most historically powerful countries as hosts
- both had squads that were good but not the best on paper. we have seen better squads from both within the previous few WCs.
- both lost in the semis.

Differences:

- Germans didn't have high expectations to win that WC. they were in the final in previous one but that was due to Ballack, Klose and Oli. they were bounced out in group stage of Euro 2000 and 2004. so as a team overall they weren't great on paper.

- Brazilians almost demanded that they win the WC even though on paper, it was a weaker squad than we all are used to seeing from Brazil. the public had sky high expectations because they are used to brazil having great teams and players and also because brazil is practically invincible at home, but all those games didn't include playing superpowers from europe. plus they hammered spain in confed cup.

- germany's loss in the semis was super close. brazil's was a blowout.

- german fans saw it as a good WC. they were a young up and coming team with a bright future and they just fell short.

- brazil fans saw it as a disastrous WC. they were seen as a veteran team, especially up front and in the back. but really their two best players in neymar and oscar were new to the WC and in their early 20s so that is something to look forward to. but overall it seems the public has a very negative outlook on the future unless major changes take place.

I was too young to understand and then remember the feelings of the public for France '98 and Italy '90 though I did watch some of those tournaments. And Spain '82, Argentina '78, Germany '74, etc. were well before my time.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
There are like complete opposites.

Brazil '14 had the biggest pressure to win the Cup I've ever seen and played like crap, Germany '06 went in as underdog with little expectations and played pretty good.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Correct me if you feel differently
Similarities:

- 2 most historically powerful countries as hosts
2006 Germany were nowhere near being historically powerful. WC2002, Euro2004 and WC2006 are their low points. No-one expecting from the title win.
By reaching semi-finals and becoming the 3rd, they surprised most of us and they overachieved.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,984 Posts
I have a feeling that Confed Cup 2013 success hurt Brazil a lot. They played impressive football and actually started to believe they're the best team in the world after winning this insignificant no-pressure tournament. It would've been better for them to fall out early or get a sound trashing by Spain in the final. This group of players was not ready to handle the expectation of being the best in front of their home crowd.

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
the expectation was put on by the manager and the director, who said it was an obligation to win the title.
it dint come from the fans.

that is one of teh reasons the players wept, as they dint train and dint have a proper tactical scheme.

Hulk , who could not get one pass correct, was the playmaker .

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
IMHO, Germany '06 team is the seed of the current German NT. It's a transition of old way to their new way of playing and the start of Klinsmann-Löw's 10 years project. It introduced younger generation players like Lahm, Mertesacker, Podolski and Scweinsteiger.

·
Administrator
29,409 Posts
I have a feeling that Confed Cup 2013 success hurt Brazil a lot. They played impressive football and actually started to believe they're the best team in the world after winning this insignificant no-pressure tournament. It would've been better for them to fall out early or get a sound trashing by Spain in the final. This group of players was not ready to handle the expectation of being the best in front of their home crowd.
I think the Confederation Cup was a double edged sword. The Confederation boosted the confidance, actually organized a team and a form of playing. Basically said: Brasil has a team able to play in high level. It was probally enough to boost to the semifinals.

Then there was the problem - not the players-team beliving the team was the best, i do not think they actually considered it, as dumb it is Parreira doing again the "we have the hands on the trophy", then justifying it as "ever saw a general saying he will go for a failure", just not understand that he can say "we are good to win and will fight for it"... but the main problem is not that in my opinion.

Scolari planned to have the same team and strategy, as it worked, and just "polish" it. That is what, according to the journalists, what he did mostly. This means he didnt actually considered much the substitutes to enter in the team and didn't notice many of his pieces that worked 1 year ago went down and didn't work this time. They should have been replaced because they are not "Neymar" status. He could even have the same strategy, but he needed more efficiency. (the german game for example, there were 5 players of the substitutes in the field. Sure the weakness of Marcelo would be there, but you could see in the game that the players are just not organized to cover it up, making the hole even bigger). So, in this case, Scolari trust in those players to the point he took many in bad shape (one or two, ok) to the cup is a bad side effect of Confederation Cup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts