Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's take a look at these two players. Simunic has bumped Simic out of a starting spot which is nothing short of amazing, so let's take a quick look at them.

Dario Simic

Simic is 26 years old and plays for Inter Milan of Serie A. He made his international debut for HRV against Israel in March of 96. He became a regular in the squad during the qualifying campaign for WC98 and played in all games in the tournament, with the exception of the third place game against the Dutch, which he missed through suspension. He had a great tournament and really seemed like a lifer for Vatreni.

He's been a regular since then and one of most important and consistent players. Although his form hasn't been exceptional at times for Inter, he always played well when he put on the Cro jersey. He's an excellent man marker, one of the best in the world and has proven it in his years in Serie A, which is undoubtedly the best defensive league in the world. No other league can boast the quality of defenders that Serie A has and Dario is one of them.

Josip Simunic

Simunic is 24 and plays for Hertha Berlin of the German Bundesliga. He made his international debut in November 2001 against Korea and imperssed coach Jozic. I can't think of anything else to add.

The loss against Mexico was Simunic's first competitive game for HRV and he had a good game, although he could be faulted on the goal and did appear to be nervous quite often during the game. Simic missed the game with an injury but according to Jozic, would not have started anyway. The next game is against Italy and all indications are that Simunic will start whilst Simic finds himself on the bench.

Simic is experienced and proven on the international level. He also plays in Serie A and is familiar with all the players that Italy have. He plays with Vieri at Inter and is a good friend of his. He's faced Totti on a number of occassions and also knows this man quite well, well enough to effectively mark him out of games, which is not an easy task to accomplish.

I'm unfamiliar with the Australian NT so I'm just making assumptions here and could be completely wrong but let me give it a shot.

Simunic had not been called up by Australia, not even as a substitute by the age of 23. We call him up and 8 months later he's a starter ahead of Dario Simic.

The Australians would cream their pants to have a player like Simic in their defence, but we prefer Simunic.

If a poll were to be taken of all national team coaches, how many of them would have even heard of Simunic, let alone pick him over Simic?

So my question is to everybody, how does a "johnny come lately" who's coming off a good season(not great) and has only played for the NT in friendlies manage to win a spot over a proven international who is widely regarded as one of the best man markers in Italy, which makes him one of the best man markers in the world?

Anybody wanna try and answer this one?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
yes Ivo, Simic wasnt 100% fit... there was possibility of injuring him further... a lot like what happened with Tudor, when you were outraged, I believe, that Juventus wanted Tudor to play

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not talking about the first game, all indications are that Simunic will start ahead of Simic in the Italy game even if Simic is fit.

So give me your answer.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
well, according to training reports (by each one of our newspapers), Simunic is better than Simic currently... keep in mind that Simic hasnt played many games this season, so he is probably not at his greatest level...

I have my worries about the midfield and formation, Simic or Simunic is very close call anyway

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simic may not have played regularly, but he played enough. If Simunic was on Inter, he'd be playing with the reserves, not even a bencher.

Let me paraphrase what Jozic has said:

Prior to the Mexico game.

"If Simic is fit, there's a chance he'll play"

So that means that there's actually a difficult decision to make between a fit Simunic and a fit Simic.

Most recent comment:

"Saric will play at RB even if Simic is fit"

That means that Simic isn't even contention to play in the middle, if Jozic is talking about him at RB.

A 100% Simunic is a better option than even an 80% Simic? And that isn't to say Simic is only 80%, it's just to show how much better of a player Simic is.

We have a must win game against the Italians and Simic will watch from the bench while Simunic starts the game.

:wallbang:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
i could care less Ivo... they are both close, both will do fine, after mexico game I would preffer to have ppl who actually played more htan 5 games this year... but once again, I could care less, you always get stuck on some small issues... my head is full of rapaic, prosinecki, olic, vlaovic, etc,etc... and you... I bet you gonna ask who's gonna be on the bench...

:p

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're not close, Simunic is nowhere near Simic's class. This isn't a small issue, we're facing Totti-Vieri-Inzaghi this time around, not an old Blanco.

If you prefer players who play regularly, then you shouldn't prefer Tomas anymore because he's a bencher on a Serie B team;)

·
Registered
Hrvatska, Hajduk
3,666 Posts
I agree with Ivo. If Simic can play he'll be better at 90% than Simunic at 100%.

This is the World Cup and big game experience is essential, especially in a defence corps.

Simic has played MANY big games and handled them with calm and confidence. Simunic looks like a great addition to our stalwart defence but the World Cup isn't the place to test out that theory.

Yes, in the first game we had no choice but now we do. Let's hope Jozic makes the right one. It is not a 'small issue.'

I think Saric is useless. I can't understand how he even gets to be considered a national team player.

BTW if Boksic's comments are true, we're in big trouble Saturday regardless of formations and lineups.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
one things for sure, he was our best player vs. Mexico, even though he was nervous. He earned a well deserved 8 from Croatian media.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hrsport gave him a 5.5, it depends where you look.

But tell me zemljak, I know you rate Simunic highly and I agree that he's a good player and potential for the future, but in all honesty, do you prefer him to Simic?

If so, why?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Ivo, u know that saying "pissing agains wind"? well you are not doing that,, you are pissin on ur own shoes ;-)

seriously, reason that Simic is not selected is that he is not in form currently, he is not playing for Inter either, so I doubt you can call him one of the best defenders in the world... he had ****ty performance in Friendlies as well... why should he given a place instead of Simunic? you would think that after Mexico game people realized that there should be no guaranteed places, but some people never will so it seems...

if Jozic learned anything, it would be that he should not play pleyrs "just because"... he should be playing players that are currently in best form

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
honestly zemljak?

well, all things considered, taking into account Simunic's technique and effectivness in dealing with high balls. Also Simic's work rate, man markingm, experience and reading of the game at the highest level.....

Simic, ofcourse zemljak

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Ero, for being honest, always a pleasure discussing things with you.

Wolf, there you go again, Tomas is a bencher in Serie B in case you missed it the first time, yet he finds room in your team. You contradict yourself time and again and as a result, your arguments lack credibility.

Let me remind you again about France98 where Suker, Asanovic, Jarni and Stanic were not regulars at their teams either but performed great, so please don't ever bring that up again because it's not an argument.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Ivo, you have some kind of special glasses that dont let you read something that you might not agree with

you are trying to say that its not the issue that our players are not regulars or that they didnt play many games this year?

wow, interesting... I would think thats what exactly was the issue in our games against Mexico... and gee, reviews of the game agreed with that too...

How is it not an argument? current form of player depends if they performed a lot in past 6 months for their team... how is that not important? If that was true, we would beat mexico 10:0 last week, simply cuz Suker, Boksic, Prosineck & Jarni would blow them apart

Ivo, I have to ask this question since your arguments consisist of repeating same things over and over OR closing one eye when readin other people's replies... are you still in highschool?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
and oh yeah, as to your clue on what are you talking about -Tomas played 26 games in 2001/2002 season while Simic played 12, and we all know that all of those 12 were as subs or in the cup

anything else to say?

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Spwolf are you an assistant of Jozics?;)

man like Baraba already said i cant believe Saric is even in this squad in fact i cant believe half the things Jozic has done!

although we must give him a lot of credit for bringing us to the world cup that was HUGE! and i thank him for that

BUT what he has done with us while we were at the world cup is for the most part a joke!

you know what i guess Jozic is a good qualifications coach while Ciro wasnt but he seems to be a bad motivator for this group of guys while Ciro was great at it!

so here is my solution with Ciro we probably wouldnt have made it to the world cup so let Jozic coach them in qualification games and let Ciro coach them in the big tournaments:D

oh and on the debate between Simunic or Simic?

Simic i say because he has had more experience in dealing with Serie A strikers such as Vieri and Inzaghi while Simunic is good i must admit he is too rough against them and Inzaghi might fall and get hurt by him in the penalty box;) :D coincidentaly that is:tongue:

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
jeez fellas, let's get a grip. Simunic is a great player, I believe he deserves a lace on our squad and will be included in Euro qualifiers by whichever coach takes over. He certainly might become better than Simic, he may become better than Maradona, but that's just speculation.

all in all, I'm glad he's there, but Simic is better. Count Simic's NT experience, his Champs League experience with Dinamo, his UEFA cup experience, his Serie A experience and the fantastic job he's always done.

You'll come to the same conclusion.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts