Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Croatia defender Dario Simic is a major doubt for his country's opening World Cup game against Mexico after aggravating a calf muscle injury.

The 26-year-old had a scan on the problem today, which he picked up in Inter Milan's Serie A defeat to Atalanta in April, and it is doubtful he will make Monday's first game.

'He went to hospital for an examination... he feels 60 per cent better than on Monday but we will not know how bad it is for another 48 hours,' team doctor Sasa Jankovic told reporters at Croatia's training base near Tokamachi. 'It is the sort of injury that can happen again.'

Simic played 45 minutes of Croatia's warm-up match against Toyama Dream at the weekend, but aggravated the damage and now faces a race against time to make their first Group G match in Niigata.

'If Simic is fit, why should he not be in contention?" coach Mirko Jozic asked reporters.

Jozic said Alen Boksic was making good progress in his recovery from an abdominal strain, even though the striker trained alone again on Tuesday in a bid to build up his fitness. Croatia also play Italy and Ecuador in the first round.
--------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmm :(

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Simunic is good thou, so I wouldnt be too woried, he showed more in trainings this month than Simic

·
International
8,545 Posts
mARZ said:
'If Simic is fit, why should he not be in contention?" coach Mirko Jozic asked reporters.

Is this to suggest that Simic isn't a starter for sure? Is Jozic kidding?

If Simic is fit he plays, he's not just "in contention."

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
actually I read that Simunic is ahead of him, he showed more in training and played great against that Jap club.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Well, if Jozic has a healthy Simunic and Simic to choose between and he opts for Simunic then he's a retard, for lack of a better word.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Retard is a bit harsh, but moron would suffice! Simic, if fit has to play against Mexico, period! He is quick, and a better man marker than most of our defenders. I'm not putting down Simunic, but we all know that a healthy Simic is a better choice against Mexico. I also keep reading that Simunic is playing great in the warmups and practice games, but these are just scrimages between our squad, and one meaningless game against a 3 division Japanese club. We don't know how he will react when it comes to gametime! I will definately sleep easier knowing Simic is back there against Mexico, since we don't have Tudor. Naprid Vatreni!

·
International
8,545 Posts
I guess retard is a bit harsh but I couldn't hold back....Simunic is a young up and coming player but I see him as more of a last resort. He had a good season with Hertha and is a possibility for the future but Simic is one of the pillars of our defence and is a much better defender overall.

It isn't to say Simunic wouldn't do well, maybe he would but I can't see a reason to take a chance when we have a proven guy in Simic!

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
I'll tell you what the media in Cro have been saying. Namely, Jozic would prefer Simunic. He's more technically gifted, his passes are great and he's good in the air. Dario is a good man marker, he's quick and he can man-mark anyone out of the game.

They say this, Simic is faking a leg injury, in order to save some face when he's not in the lineup next week.

I cannot substantiate these claims and could be more pot stirring by media hungry to sell papers, but also could have a ring of truth to it.

I think Dario will be of more use when he needs an assignment, against Italy perhaps and even Ecuador, Delgado is dangerous. Simunic is a strong central defender that's better suited to Jozic's concept of the defense, and can simply take Tudor's place.

I've heard nothing but praise for Simunic. I've seldon seen him play lately (two highlight films :) ) but feel that if he earned the respect of our players, coach, media and experts, he can certainly contest one of the two spots available for himself, Kovac and Dario Simic.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
conspiracy theories everywhere. Simunic played a full season at Hertha while Simic was in and out of the Inter side all season. Maybe on form Jozic should go with Simunic. Either way i'll be confident in whoever starts. If Simunic does, then i'm sure it will cause a little stir here in Australia. Today they had an article on Seric and Simunic "Aussies at World Cup". It goes on to say that Seric/Simunic had the last laugh as they are at the World Cup. :D

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Simic poised to return to training
Dale Johnson

Croatia defender Dario Simic is winning his battle to be fit for his country's opening game in the World Cup.

Dario Simic: Picked up a calf injury
(Allsport)

Simic aggravated a calf muscle injury he picked up in Inter Milan's Serie A defeat to Atalanta in April and was a doubt for Croatia's first match against Mexico on Monday.

Coach Mirko Jozic today said that Simic would be back in training 'within days' and has a great chance of featuring in the game in Niigata.

'He's getting better,' Jozic revealed. 'The doctors are taking good care of him and in two or three days he will be ready to continue training with the rest of the players. There is no reason to rush, and I don't want to influence the opinion of the medical staff.'

Under FIFA rules, a replacement for an injured player can be brought into the squad up to 24 hours before a team's first match, providing the injury has been verified by a FIFA official.

The 26-year-old had a scan earlier this week after he aggravated the problem during his side's final warm-up game against Toyama Dream on Sunday. Simic is competing with Josip Simunic for a place in the starting line-up.

Meanwhile, striker Davor Suker believes he can become the first player to win the World Cup Golden Boot award in two successive tournaments.

The Croatia striker finished top scorer at the 1998 finals in France four years ago as his side reached the semi-finals on their debut appearance at a World Cup.

'I want to play and I want to be the best goalscorer again,' he told reporters today. 'No-one has ever done it and it would make me very proud if I could do it. If I can get one or two goals in the first match then anything is possible.

'In 1998, we beat Jamaica in the first match and everything went well from there. Now we need another good start because you don't want to fall behind your opponents (in the group).

'We have younger players in our squad this time and a win in our first match would help our confidence.'

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
man, they're pretty optimistic. I hope Suki is right.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
just imagine if Suker were to win the Golden Boot again. just imagine. :) he is paying $81.00 to do it....with his confidence, i mite go and put a couple dollars on him. Better that i dont.....whenever i bet on Croatia or something croatian i never win.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts