Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone thought of him...

In my mind I think he will match the greatness of Figo if not surpassing at one point. He should definately be given a go as a starter for Euro.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I never cared much for him when he was with Sporting and Barcelona, I always thought he was mostly hype and the type of player who hangs on to the ball a little too long until losing possesion. But, lately he seems to have matured a lot and I guess could be the next figo....but if given the choice I'd still rather have Capucho start over Simao.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with u shinjj. He has the potential to be great. Too bad potential doesnt mean sh*t these days. Just look at our national team. He has some big shoes to fill if he is to surprass Figo. I personally think he will be great but not Figo great. hopefully he can perform better when it counts.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I feel when he went to Barca it was a move that wasnt for him for two reasons
A. Mentally he wasnt ready
B. He didnt know his own game & limitations.

All in all after 2 years he came home & towards the end of last seasobn , he found himself & was in superb touch & in the best form of his life.
IMO He is gonna be very good :)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Before his injury, the dude was easily in the best form of all Portuguese players. That's right. Make no mistake about.

As to potential: He is easily the most athletic. There is no other in the Portuguese team that has his combination of acceleration and speed of Simao's potential.

The last two months, he showed termendous ball dominance and skill of the highest quality, not to mention striker-like fininshing qualities.

His short-comings are obvious: He's short and light. He's not gonna out-muscle anyone, but with his speed and quickness, who needs to?

Barring anything less than a full recovery from his injuries, he will be our next Figo.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Simao is one of the best players in the world in my opinion. I tend to watch a lot of different football: MLS, English Premier League, Brazilian league, Primeira Liga, Primera Liga (when I have the opportunity), Bundesliga, Dutch league...and I have yet to find a player as good as Simao.

I know, you guys are saying: 'Fee-Go, you've lost your mind!'. Seriously, the guy's play is a little bit better than anyone I've seen aside from the likes of Figo and Zidane.

I would put him up there with Recoba.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Fee-Go said:
Simao is one of the best players in the world in my opinion. I tend to watch a lot of different football: MLS, English Premier League, Brazilian league, Primeira Liga, Primera Liga (when I have the opportunity), Bundesliga, Dutch league...and I have yet to find a player as good as Simao.

I know, you guys are saying: 'Fee-Go, you've lost your mind!'. Seriously, the guy's play is a little bit better than anyone I've seen aside from the likes of Figo and Zidane.

I would put him up there with Recoba.
I like the Recoba analogy, FG: they are similar. Although I'd say Alvaro has more natural talent, Simao is close in terms of skill, but far ahead of Recoba in terms of vision and intelligence. Simao seems to be someone who will continue to get better over time, whereas Recoba seems to always make the wrong decision, but will then turn around and make a spectacular shot later in the game to restore your faith in him yet again.

He's also the master of scoring two goals in a 3-2 loss; whereas Simao appears to have a greater knack for performing in the clutch. As Pila said, he could become the next truly great Portuguese player, assuming he fully recovers from his knee injury.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
::shinji:: said:
but if given the choice I'd still rather have Capucho start over Simao.
:wth: Capucho start over Simao? Your nuts, and Capucho will be lucky is he's even in Euro 2004...

Before he got hurt he was the best all around player in the league and single-handedly put Benfica on his shoulders.....

I think he will be a stud if rehabs from his ACL correctly ;)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Especially in the last few Liga games, we was amazing. But the recent knee injury and the fact that he couldn't excel in the Spanish league are worrisome signs.

One in a thousand players develops to Figo's level. Simao is young, but it takes more than just skill to get to the level of Figo or Zidane. .

·
Registered
642 Posts
I just hope his injury doesnt cripple his talent. Knee problems can plague a player for many years, & i hope it doesnt become a reoccurring problem for him or anything like dat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts