1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newly Promoted Wisla Plock.
Plock seven boost survival hopes
Thursday 20 June 2002
Newly-promoted Polish Ekstraklasa side Wisla Plock have boosted their survival hopes for next season by making seven new signings.

Survival target
"Our basic and most important target is to stay in Ekstraklasa," coach Mieczyslaw Broniszewski said. "It will be hard, because five teams will go down next season, but that's why we have bought a few new players. These all are people who have played for good clubs."

European aim
Defenders Marcin Wasilewski, Piotr Mosor and Marcin Janus as well as midfield players Slawomir Nazaruk, Grzegorz Bonk, Ariel Jakubowski and attacker Jerzy Podbrozny have all arrived at Plock. "Yes, we want to avoid releagtion first," Mosor said. "But it's only the first step. We want to play in Europe, and I believe we soon will."
also showing interest in Majdan and Matysek who failed to sign on with Cypress Team.

Pogon Szczein

All change at Pogon
Thursday 27 June 2002
New Pogon Szczecin owner Les Gondor has appointed Albin Mikulski as coach, one of a number of staff changes at the Polish club ahead of the new season.

Trim the wage bill
Mikulski will be assisted by the experienced former player Janusz Galuszka after succeeding Mariusz Kuras, but will have to make do with a vastly reduced squad as Gondor, who recently purchased the club from Turkish businessman Sabri Bekdas, wants to trim the wage bill.

Player exodus
Five players - Wojciech Tomasiewicz, Siergiej Szypowski, Rafal Andruszko, Tomasz Podobas and Denis Sokolowski - will be released after not being offered contract extensions - while Dariusz Dzwigala and Pawel Drumlak appear likely to join the Polish champions, Legia Warszawa.

Avoid relegation
Mikulski's primary aim will be to avoid relegation from the Ekstraklasa as eight of the 16 teams will be relegated in May 2003.

I think with 5 teams being relegated this year is going to make things pretty interesting.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Polish clubs aren't happy with so many teams having to be relegated after the end of the following season. That's very true that the fight is expected to be extremely tough. Staying in Ekstraklasa means money from Canal Plus and we don't need to say more.

Whenever Wisla (former Orlen) promotes to Ektraklasa, they always spend big money on new signings. And with absolutely no effect so far :D This time their transfer seem to be more reasonable though ;)

Pogon finally managed to get rid of Bekdas and perhaps Svenska's money will help them a little bit. But their squad is still weak. As to Drumlak, I heard he moved to Paok Saloniki. And Dzwigala is more likely to join Polonia than Legia ( :( )

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Prewitt whats happened to Barlinek and co? i mean it seems like just two of us now! Before at the Prediction league comp there was like 7-8 people. How dismal.
.. Anyway who is your prediction to more interestingly fight to avoid relegation. I would think that the newly promoted Jaworzno will be one. I have big expectation for Lech though. I am expecting to see big crowds and even bigger signings. So far all i have heard is Piotr Reiss, Kaczorowski, schferen(polonia) and maybe a few others??

.. Widzew also looked to have signed Marcin Kuzba from St Ettienne in french 2nd division!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Fear not polska, I am still here.:cool:

Will we be having the prediction league again?

·
Registered
535 Posts
hey, I'm here ready to kick ass in the prediction league, as always!! i just hope this time you guys won't flake out on me!!:D

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Drumlak did not sign with PAOK as the club considered his wage demands too big. Was he any good?

PAOK signed a dude named Marius Kukielka though, what can you guys tell me about him? Tell me he is not the cheap, crap, defender our financial situation indicates he is. :(

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
It's a holiday time (btw, I'm leaving Warsaw for a few days on Wednesday :D :cool: ) and after our debacle in the WC the traffic there has lowered a little bit, but I don't think we should let this forum die. The prediction league starts with the beginning of the new season in August and now matter how many competitors enters it ;) Obviously, the more, the better :D

Polska, I think a half of the teams will fight to avoid relegation ;) And just hope Legia stay away from the zone :D Lech may bring some fresh air with their huge crowd of fans, but it's difficult to predict how good they'll be doing in Ekstraklasa. Their squad wasn't much strengthened. Bosacki is the only good player among new signings. Scherfchen and Kaczorowski haven't been confirmed yet as far as I know.

Amoroso, Kukielka may improve PAOK. He's a very intelligent player and a fighter on the pitch. I'm kind of surprised though that you consider him to be a defender. He tends to make individual mistakes as a central back and performs far better as a defensive midfielder. Another problem with this guy is that he's prone to injuries. He failed medical tests in Wisla Krakow few weeks ago... As to Drumlak, he is a decent playmaker but his skills have never been really tested. It's difficult to rate him. There are constantly rumours in Poland that he's about to move to Wisla or Legia but his dream is to play in Germany. It's amazing that his financial demands were too high for PAOK :eek: In Pogon he hasn't been paid at all... :confused:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
PAOK has huge financial problems.

But I dont think we cant afford him, it was just that the club thought he didnt worth what he asked. To tell you the truth, I dont want another play-maker cause it could mean that we're selling someone from our team. :(

For Koukielka, noone has ever seen him play yet so I assumed he was a defender. Thanks for the info anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts