·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sign The Petition after reading this:

ESPN World Cup Announcers
Created by John Sheehan on March 3rd, 2006 at 3:03 pm AST

To the officials at ESPN:

I am sending you this letter in protest of your decision on the commentators for the World Cup. The largest sporting event in the world deserves the best coverage possible. An estimated 28.8 billion viewers watched the 2002 tournament with 1.1 billion tuning in for the final. Even the World Cup finals draw had 300 million viewers world wide.

As a sports leader and the largest cable sports network it would make sense that the company would want to have the best coverage of the event possible. Putting someone who has never done soccer commentary at the head of your broadcast team will only serve to alienate fans and move more viewers to Univision and other networks covering the games. You wouldn’t put Dick Button on the Superbowl announcing team or John Madden on the World Series telecasts, why would you put a baseball announcer in the World Cup broadcasts?

The fans deserve better. They deserve intelligent announces who are highly regarded in their field. The idea that Americans would not accept foreign announcers for the games is ludicrous. Most knowledgeable fans in this country pay more attention to leagues overseas than to the domestic game. One reason for this is that the game is taken more seriously in many other parts of the world. Please do not add to the stereotype of ignorant Americans who bring nothing to the sport.

Add quality announcers who are available regardless of nationality. Having announcers who do not know the proper names of the positions on the field and who mispronounce the players names is aggravating, frustrating and annoying to real soccer fans and that should be your market. The typical soccer mom is not going to sit through game after game of the World Cup. Please attempt to rectify this situation by including professional commentators who have experience in the sport at the highest levels.

Thank you for your time and consideration concerning this matter sincerely

http://http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/World_Cup_Announcers

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
ESPN's coverage of international football is generally horrifying, with many of the announcers unable to correctly pronounce the player's names.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
who cares, they are showing the games. Announcers just about everywhere stink. Try listening to Michel in Spain:eekani:

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
Humbird said:
ESPN's coverage of international football is generally horrifying, with many of the announcers unable to correctly pronounce the player's names.
Thats why FSC or GolTV should show the games but the CL is all about money and ESPN has the dough to buy the rights and now with ESPN Deportes on i doubt that anyone would buy the rights from them.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
I don't care... I'll be watching the Univision coverage anyway, like I've done with past World Cups.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
Al Capone said:
They are having Joe Morgan annoucne? WTF
Joe Morgan???? :googly: does he even know the rules of the game? the guy is pure baseball i have never seen him talk about anything beside baseball... whats next Chris Berman screaming goallllllllllllllllll :rolleyes:

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Tim said:
I don't care... I'll be watching the Univision coverage anyway, like I've done with past World Cups.
Same here. It's too annoying listening the the ESPN announcers try to cope with the Argentinian names. The last straw was Roberto Aylala.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I had to watch the Arsenal, Madrid game at 12:45 a.m. yesterday.

Apparently their showing some bullshit baseball tournament.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Paraiso said:
I had to watch the Arsenal, Madrid game at 12:45 a.m. yesterday.

Apparently their showing some bullshit baseball tournament.
To tell you the truth both of the baseball games were more exciting than the borefest Arsenal served up.

The game the previous night was even worse since Barca went anti-footy on the world.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Al Capone said:
To tell you the truth both of the baseball games were more exciting than the borefest Arsenal served up.

The game the previous night was even worse since Barca went anti-footy on the world.
For a neutral it was boring, but not if you were an Arsenal supporter.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Al Capone said:

Are you non-European? Because that would be the only explanation for this ridiculous claim.

Arsenal-Madrid was one hell of a game, almost constantly attacking football, especially from Arsenal's side. Hleb was amazing and Henry showed his superiority.

·
Registered
27,295 Posts
Barçawinner said:
Are you non-European? Because that would be the only explanation for this ridiculous claim.

Arsenal-Madrid was one hell of a game, almost constantly attacking football, especially from Arsenal's side. Hleb was amazing and Henry showed his superiority.
Yeah, I thought it was a great game, too.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
The baseball is a slap in the face to all football fans in USA and an affront to God himself!!

Barca played anti-football. How can you play anti football when you have the ball the whole match and score first?

I'll never understand that one. By the way, the link didn't work for me and i'm dying to sign that petition.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Al Capone said:

:howler:

I absolutely loved Arsenal v Real, one of the best 0-0 you can actually enjoy. For a neutral was on the edge of my seat imagine for Real and Ars fans.

You're right Barca was anti football :D

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
i dont really care as long as they telecast it.. better than those tsn fools.. yesterday they went on and on abut beckham being this and being that.. when he sucked monkeys balls

1 - 20 of 24 Posts