Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: With Dixon gone and Adams on the verge of retirement dont you think it would be drastic if we were to loose martin too?
Stepanovs yesterday was back to his usuall crappy self of struggling with even the most innocuous balls! so even if we do sign some one new i think that the experience that martin could impart to that player would be vital.

:cool: Dont we need a new right back? Lauren for another whole season could prove to be costly. With Grimandi gone Lauren should move back into midfeild and can cover at RB once in a way but we still need a regular RB either from the youth or a new buy.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The rumor of Keown going to Newcastle is very unlikely.
It is almost impossible. Im pretty sure that AW will buy a big name for CB position.

Lauren has done a great job for us. He is more than good in that RB position. He will do better next season, even better than G.Neville. Just remember, this season was the first season he played in that position. I don't see any reason why we need to buy another right back. We still have Parlour who can play in that position, and also young Volz need more chance.

In the game against MU, Giggs could not do anything with Lauren and Parlour in the right side. They could only do better after Giggs moved to the right side. This proved that Lauren does a decent defending and also he dribbles the ball well.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I believe the rumour was made because the press realised Keown hadn't signed a new contract so they decided to make something up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
yes i also heard keown going to newcastle
i hope thats not true
if he can stay
then let him stay for another year

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The Arsenal future of Martin Keown looks set to be settled by a compromise over his new contract

Direct talks with Keown have been put on hold until the 35-year-old central defender returns from World Cup duty with England.

The sticking point has been the length of the new deal.

Keown feels fit and able to play for another two years at Highbury and wants a contract that will keep him at Arsenal until 2004.

But the club have opened negotiations with only a one-year offer. Manager Arsene Wenger has made it clear that he wants Keown, who played a major part in the triumphs in the Premiership and the FA Cup, to stay next season and the player told Standard Sport two weeks ago that he is happy to commit himself to the club.

With Newcastle reported to be ready to give the player the security of a contract that he wants, Wenger is anxious to reach agreement as soon as possible.

It is likely now that the club and the player will settle on a one-year deal with a one-year option. If Keown, as seems certain, agrees to that in principle then his representatives can continue talks while he is away with England.

Wenger will want to keep Keown because he could lose as many as three experienced players this summer-Gilles Grimandi has quit the club and so has Lee Dixon. They may well be joined by Tony Adams, whose testimonial against Celtic ended in a 1-1 draw at Highbury last night.

Wenger said last week after the victory at Manchester United: "I like to think I have 11 leaders in the dressing-room. Martin is certainly one of them. Of course I want him to stay."

I knew he would stay, i couldn't even dream about Keown playing for another club. I always knew he would finish his career here.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
i think the dispute is how wenger put 1 year extra on the contract
but keown wants 2
that is easily fixed as wenger is happy to see to it and change it to 2 years

1 - 8 of 8 Posts