Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dan Jones from Deloitte argues that it would be a good thing to introduce performance related bonuses. As in, the more football matches you win, the more money you earn on top of your basic salary. Hugh Pym of BBC says that banks such as HSBC and Barclays are highly profitable at the moment thanks to their key executives, who in turn are rewarded with bonuses which are several times higher than their salaries.

So what they are talking about is the culture that encourages people to aggressively compete against each other and also had a hand in the worldwide recession.

What do you guys think of this argument? Can this bring world football to a new level of success and competition? And does this ethically help those footballers in any way?

·
Registered
32,278 Posts
It's fairly widespread already, of course.

Portsmouth's FA Cup adventure is said to have cost them dearly.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
As it was with Barcelona with the CL! Which is regarded one of the highly rewarding tournaments out there.. yet by winning it they incurred losses rather than profits due to bonuses.

Real Madrid are offering their players just above 1 M Euros each if the team manages to win the CL this season. That's around 25 M Euros to the players... let alone Pellegrini and his workers.

Anyways, I see the suggestion is more related to each match seperately rather than final outcome. I see where you're going through BUT... sayManchester United implements this idea in order for it's players to be motivated...thus when negotiating with a player, let's say X player who's a typical footballer (ie mercenary :pp) and Manchester City are also in the race for him; would you think he'd go for United where his basic salary is lower, compared to City who let's imagine they're not following this scheme?

There will always be clubs who'd ditch this scheme if other clubs started using it to entice players. We're humans, we want something more insured afterall.

It could work somehow... I don't know

·
THE
14,089 Posts
...and of course the footballers are the poorest and starve and desperately need extra-extra bonus system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts