Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the past 2 years, when sheva or pippo are healthy, we normally field 4312 in most matches. X'mas tree formation are usually employed only when we are losing some strikers. Berlu even made a warning to Carlo after the famous 3-2 derby comeback that, ALL Milan coaches MUST field 2 strikers every match.

however, over the past 8 matches we created a winning streak, owing much to the 4321 formation. It guarantees creativity, control of the match, and solidity in defence. In two striker system, kaka carried too much playmaking role, while in 4321 formation Rui can give a help and release Kaka for his deadly finishing.

The question arises, should we use 4321 for ALL matches from now on? IMO it's a big YES. It seems to be defensive as it has only 1 striker, but in fact we usually get more scoring opportunities with the X'mas tree formation and we usually play more beautifully with the X'mas tree formation. All in all, we are a much stronger team when we play 4321. The away win in Roma, the CL wins over RM, Bayern and Manutd all confirmed that.

Some may argue that we should use 4321 only when facing tough componets. But IMO 4321 will give us more options when facing catanaccio. Small teams usually tightly mark the 2 strikers we fielded and making our play difficult. in X'mas tree formation there's only 1 target man, it's impossible for the opponents to man-mark all of guys who would come to their penalty area, namely kaka, rui, seedorf, pirlo, maldini, cafu and even rino!

Field the second and even the third striker only when the team is stuck with 0:0 with minnows or trailing a game. The sudden addition of an extra striker will prove to be handy for the opponent's defence to deal with.

it may seem to be a waste to have 4 strikers but start only 1 of them, but IMO we should not sacrify the well-play of the whole team for this concern. We are much better offensively and defensively with 4321 formation.

Next summer if Rui really quits, IMO we should add a support striker ala Chevanton or Cassano instead of another playmaker.

to have

cheva-kaka
--sheva---

is much more creative, unpredictable and flexible towards tight italian defence.

of course, who would mind a gila-sheva combo? But that's too early to assume gila's signature IMO.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I like 4-5-1, but against catenaccio it will not work, because in these matches we make many high-ball assists to penalty area and the sole striker will not be enough to score.

But we can use Sheva instead of Rui Costa in the 4-5-1.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I prefer the christmas tree too . I always tought that Rui and kaka should play together.
I hope carlo keeps this formation. IMO , berlu should shut up when commenting on the x-mas tree formation. Even if we have 2 strikers , Rui should play along kaka all the time.

It such a waste of talent to keep him on the bench.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Have you guys already forgotten the problems of the feb games? The last UCL games were an exception. When Sheva returns, he must enter the team and Crespo has performed, no- he has delivered, well enogh that he can't be thanked and then put on the bench.
Our problems of penetration still remains- we need two strikers. Shevchenko is our best teamplayer, he works well with basically everyone in the team. When he returns, getting and staying in the final third won't be a problem.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quivering said:
Have you guys already forgotten the problems of the feb games? The last UCL games were an exception. When Sheva returns, he must enter the team and Crespo has performed, no- he has delivered, well enogh that he can't be thanked and then put on the bench.
Our problems of penetration still remains- we need two strikers. Shevchenko is our best teamplayer, he works well with basically everyone in the team. When he returns, getting and staying in the final third won't be a problem.

so we start 2 strikers only because we must thank crespo by giving me a guaranteed starting spot?:rollani: :wallbang:

come on, with pippo recovering, hernan will soon be under fierce competition of starting place(which is good for the team), even if we play 4312.;)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Politician said:
It surely depends on what we want to do :)

care to elaborate, politician? :shades: i'll be grateful to have your view on this! :thumbsup: :cool:

Of course I am not saying we should play 4321/4312 in EVERY single matches and never change. i am referring to the dominant formation Milan to be used in the remaining 2 and a half months. We used to play 4312 whenever main strikers are healthy, but after so many glorious victories with the X'mas formation, it surely means something right?

should we establish it as our dominant strategy finally?

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Elephant King said:
care to elaborate, politician? :shades: i'll be grateful to have your view on this! :thumbsup: :cool:

Of course I am not saying we should play 4321/4312 in EVERY single matches and never change. i am referring to the dominant formation Milan to be used in the remaining 2 and a half months. We used to play 4312 whenever main strikers are healthy, but after so many glorious victories with the X'mas formation, it surely means something right?

should we establish it as our dominant strategy finally?
In his brief stay in Milano, respected member Haroon :cool: enlighted me on what Carletto should consider :stuckup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I really like the Albero di Natale tactic but as someone mentioned, we better not forget the difficult matches we had back in February. And also we've had a lot of luck lately by late goals. Yes the injury-time is a part of the game but we still must consider the risk with scoring late goals. When we play 4312 we're playing better offensively and scoring more goals but with the Albero di Natale tactic we're not letting anything going past us. It's a hard decision/call and we should change formation depending on what we want to achieve in the different matches since we know we can play both formations excellent. The X-mas formation may benefit us in hard away matches and if it doesn't work we could easily switch to the 4312 formation during the match.
The X-mas formation is obviously better when we play against tight defense where the opponents shrinks and minimizes the space whilst the ordinary 4312 formation has been working fine when there is a lot of space to work on. An other thing I've noticed with the formation we've been using lately is it is way more dangerous when counter attacking and we've been very effective in that point of view.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nesta said:
I really like the Albero di Natale tactic but as someone mentioned, we better not forget the difficult matches we had back in February. And also we've had a lot of luck lately by late goals. Yes the injury-time is a part of the game but we still must consider the risk with scoring late goals. When we play 4312 we're playing better offensively and scoring more goals but with the Albero di Natale tactic we're not letting anything going past us. It's a hard decision/call and we should change formation depending on what we want to achieve in the different matches since we know we can play both formations excellent. The X-mas formation may benefit us in hard away matches and if it doesn't work we could easily switch to the 4312 formation during the match.
The X-mas formation is obviously better when we play against tight defense where the opponents shrinks and minimizes the space whilst the ordinary 4312 formation has been working fine when there is a lot of space to work on. An other thing I've noticed with the formation we've been using lately is it is way more dangerous when counter attacking and we've been very effective in that point of view.

:star:

the devilhood is proud of our San Magno :proud:
great analysis! :thumbsup:

However, you're right about 4312 is good when there's open space, but how many matches could we really enjoy open space in a season? Even Juve and ManUtd shut their defence tightly, so I wonder...

there's only one Lecce in Italy afterall. :wallbang:

p.s.

hilarious stuff prez :D , i never knew carlo is a mathematician. and haroon too. :D :eekani:

·
1st Tier Poster
50,406 Posts
4321 worked well against ManU, so it might be possible that we will continue using it in CL, where every game will be difficult. But in Serie A we will probably go back to 4-3-1-2 when Sheva comes back.

Personally I don't think there's much difference which of these two formations we use. But it's good to alternate between them every once in a while, so that we will not become predictable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Elephant King said:
the devilhood is proud of our San Magno :proud:
Maybe I should change my nick to Sandro Magno sicne everybody insists to call me that :D
Hehe no seriously I really like the name... "Sandro Magno" ...guess I never thought of it. :) *Proud of being Sandro Magno* :stuckup:

Elephant King said:
great analysis! :thumbsup:
Thanks.

Now back of what I was going to write in the first place.

I think that If we are going to keep on to this X-mas formation thing it would give us an advantage since we could, if the formation not works, change it during the match to the regular 4312 formation. This would confuse our opponents because we would be even more unpredictable. Or we could start with the 4312 and change it to 4321 later on if things are going bad. There's many ways of combinations we could use.

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
By playing the Christmas tree, there is more ball possession, passing fluidity, chances created. It's heavy resposibilities on the shoulders of the lone striker to score goals, but once we've scored it's keep ball time :devil: :shades:

Notice the :star: at the top of the christmas tree? It's there for a reason :stuckup:

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
here is the thing

the 4321 gives us alot of control in midfield and allows us to control the play and possesion...it is perfect for the CL where middle is the key

as for seria a, vs a juve (not in their current state) and other such strong midfield teams i would play 4321....

but vs weaker sides 4312 is easier option as we do have midfield easily and the extra striker to convert

naturally sheva starts in each one and if its a 4312 Pippo comes in once healthy

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
I am glad that we can do well with the 4321 formation, but hardly think that it is optimal for all occations. A team of Milan's calibre and depth should adapt formation and change players according to the situation at hand.

Against ManU 4321 worked well because we needed to diffuse their normally strong midfield and wings. Against a team like, for example Roma which is not as strong in that department, 4312 might suit us better. The more open the game is likely to be, the more sense having 2 strikers makes IMO

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
I may state the obvious, but their is no ideal lineup.
Personally I believe that most of the times having 2 strikers is better, but depending on whom the adversary is and our state of form, other solutions may be advisable.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
The magic of the tree is that we have an amazing record under it. Excess of anything is bad. We should use it only when required. ;) I would prefer using it more for the UCL games and especially on away trips!

With Sheva coming back soon we have more options. Not to forget Inzaghi's return on the cards as well.

We don't need the tree in the Serie A "NOW" unless we play a 5 man midfield side. With teams sitting back we don't need possession. We need more attacking presence and a 4-1-2-1-2 is just fine.

When we have started to get the results with the X-Mas tree as in the past the transition to a 4-1-2-1-2 is much easier and it seems like the same system (performance wise) while we add more goals to it.

The X-Mas tree is like the magic key. We turn to it when all else fails and it opens doors for us. A special gift from the Devil for the Rossoneri. :devil:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts