Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking-
would you prefer the second round to be drawn, like the CL?
Im not sure if the 2nd round of the CL is seeded or not, but if it weren't would it be a good idea? if it was seeded would it make the cup more predictable?

I like the idea of an unseeded draw. It keeps from teams knowing who they'll play in December.

whatchy'all think?

·
Registered
17,227 Posts
you're scared you're gonna get spain so early? :D

but yeah, i like the idea, although draw in the middle of the world cup seems a bit weird

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe on the day there are no matches it would make sense...
Im not afraid of anyone :stuckup:

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
No... every team should know who they are going to get if they finish first or second, also it makes you watch the other groups playing and cheer for teams you wouldn't be cheering for them otherwise.

Though I have to say I might have given a different answer 4 years and 8 years ago.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the way they sort out the knockout rounds right now - having the matchups more or less predetermined might not make the tournament too predictable in the long run (i.e. who will win it, etc.) but it is just not as exciting having a good idea of who you are going to face. Part of what makes the WC exciting IMO is that teams have to adapt to the playstyle of teams that they don't face that option, and I think that teams having a good idea of who they will play takes away from some of that excitement. For example, some groups are more difficult to predict than others, but take Groups G and H. Most likely we will have Brazil and one of Portugal/Ivory Coast taking the top spots in Group G, with Spain and Chile in H. Brazil would play Chile, which they have done many times before and Spain, even though the second spot in Group G is hard to predict, would either face a familiar foe in Portugal or the Ivory Coast. Not much surprise there. If it was more random, I think the ability of the teams in the knockout round would be better tested in that they would not know their opponent until a few days before the match and that way a team like Spain who, barring some major upsets, will most likely finish first in their group, would not simply be able to prepare knowing their opponent would either be Portugal or the Ivory Coast.

As for an alternative, I like the idea of a process like the CL last sixteen. So that teams are seeded first or second depending on their finish in the group stage. I like this because hypothetically in one group (I'll say Group C for now) a team like England could finish on top with 9 points and the USA could finish second with 4 points. Yet if it is a random draw, the USA could face a second place finisher (which could be a team like Denmark, Paraguay, or South Africa) and England could end up facing Spain in the second round, a result which I'm sure not many people would like. This way, a team is rewarded for finishing first or second in the draw, but this ensures an element of randomness.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Logistical nightmare for foreign fans expecting to be in a certain city for a certain match. Although it is an intriguing idea, I don't believe it can work.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Yeah, what Carlos said. Wouldn't make any logistical sense once you factor the punters in.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Also unlike CL where there is weeks or months between the rounds, in world cup you have only a day or two, and the tournament is organized in a way that teams who play on the same day or one day apart meet in the next round most of the time. For example Mexico, group A, will have a huge advantage over Spain, group H, if they meet in the 1/8s, Mexico will have 4-5 days to rest and prepare, Spain will have only one or two.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I love the idea but the logistics makes it almost impossible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts