Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this has been the hot issue for some time now and it certainly takes alot of charge.What do you think about this?Shoyld we have Technology so Ref's have a better chance to help with their decisions or will it simply be to time consuming.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
it would be very hard to introduce though, it's impossible to let the game continue for who know's how long after an incident and then go back and check it. one of the best things about this game is that it flows for minutes sometimes, but that makes it hard to incorporate the kinds of technology that gets used in other sports.

also some people actually seem to like the element of human error, but when you see a game like Roma-Juventus from the weekend :wallbang: :mad: , and how we got shafted, and consider how some teams always get away with this, i really wonder if something couldn't be done.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Vagabondo said:
it would be very hard to introduce though, it's impossible to let the game continue for who know's how long after an incident and then go back and check it. one of the best things about this game is that it flows for minutes sometimes, but that makes it hard to incorporate the kinds of technology that gets used in other sports.
I don't believe it is hard to impliment or would it be time consuming. A TV referee sits and watches live feeds and lets the referee know if there is an incident which the refs can then decide if they want to review via replays. Time taken could be a while depending on what the incident is, whatever it is has to be crucial and therefore worthwhile.

I would limit it to incidents in the penalty area though, not offsides or fouls etc. If it happens in the box - handball on the line, diving in the box etc - then it is going to be crucial. This would cover the ball crossing the line but I think the number of times it isn't clear is so few that would not be a reason in itself for introducing technology

Vagabondo said:
also some people actually seem to like the element of human error, but when you see a game like Roma-Juventus from the weekend :wallbang: :mad: , and how we got shafted, and consider how some teams always get away with this, i really wonder if something couldn't be done.
Still plenty to debate, even a TV replay can leave room for doubt. You can also discuss incidents outside the box, players reactions, the way teams played and of course go home happy your team wasn't robbed by a blatant dive meaning the ref awards the winning penalty

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
yeah, i definitely agree with checking the incidents inside the box if this can be done efficiently, but like you said this would still leave the offsides up in the air and this is one of the biggest areas of concern. obviously you couldn't stop the game to check something, and you can't let plays run over and over again and possibly teams to score, only to disallow the goal.
not without a few thousand riot police on hand anyway.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No doubt it would be very time consuming and we all understand human error.But some of the shocking calls really have to be looked at and can't go on,teams get punished for nothing.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Well if they develop a system where a bulb lights up when the ball crosses the line, then yes. Fouls and offside calls should be handled by refs and linesmen. A sensor inside the ball could be developed to detect handballs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
O Glorioso said:
Well if they develop a system where a bulb lights up when the ball crosses the line, then yes. Fouls and offside calls should be handled by refs and linesmen. A sensor inside the ball could be developed to detect handballs.
Fifa is already trying this kind of solution to decide whenever the ball is past the goalline or not. They've already tested it with the german club Nürnberg and will try it in U17 WC I think.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
No
No
No
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

:yuck: :yuck:

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Yes!

As put forward above FIFA is already testing balls with chips in them with which you could easily detect whether the ball has crossed the goal line or not. I think that's a great idea. Furthermore, with RFID coming into the fore, one solution for offsides would be to put an RFID on every players' shirt. An RFID costs about 10 cents and is so small that when embedded in a shirt sleeve is unnoticable. But coupled with the chips in the ball and some sensors one could always figure out whether someone is offside, and it would be instantenous. I'm against video replay cause it cuts the game into pieces but using instantenous sensors would be great...

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand that ref's linesman make mistakes they're only human and we accept that.But disgraceful decisions really need to be looked at whether they're for the team we follow or our opponents.It's simply not good enough,where do you draw the line.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
What I really hate is everyone just says "it will take too much time". How the feck do you know? This isn't the NFL, this is football. We won't know until we've tried it or perhaps we could try sticking our heads in the sand and screaming "it will take too much time".

You'll all walk away from the match or your armchairs and bleat on about how you was robbed, anyone ever thought the robbery could be stopped by technology? I think you'll find the most time wasted in the match is by players, stoppages etc. I reckon 1/4 or more of the match is wasted and completely lost by substitutions, rolling around feigning injury, retrieving the ball, players waiting to throw the ball in, free kicks and other restarts which take a lot more time than is allowed.

Deliberate time wasting needs to be clamped down on as does diving, good to see Collina book Xavi was it for diving against Chelsea last night.

·
Registered
607 Posts
you cant open the door to this stuff or else it wont end, controversy is good for the game and in the end everything balances out.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
How is controversy good for the game? Last Saturday Man Utd were denied a late penalty. Alex Ferguson and Wayne Rooney are now being investigated for their post match reaction to the controversial decision

So how exactly does controversy help? If the TV replays showed it was(n't) a penalty then the players and managerial staff would just get on with it rather than blaming the officials and throwing their toys out the pram. There have been far worse incidents, players would let the refs get on with their job if they didn't doubt them. I think we'd have at least six more points and a cup if we'd had replays, no matter how many arguments are made against I believe some games are just to crucial to be decided by human judgement

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The clear goal's that teams are denied are absolutely absured If ref's or linesman can't get those right then what are we coming to.It looks like we'll have to revert to technology to stop the game going down with less credibility.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
But they are rare occurences, certainly ones where it isn't clear. Why waste technology on the rare events which you can write off as one offs?

If nothing else TV replays would without much doubt clamp down on diving in the box and that has to be good for the game. Who is going to dive when there will be a replay to show they dived? Players can rely on the speed of incidents to get away with all kinds of crap, would they dare if it came under closer scrutiny?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
i think technology should be (and can be) introduced in football without affecting the game too much. Some time back I happend to read about micro chip embedded football where the chip records the time and players position when he recieves a ball (solves offside problems) and the same chip declaring a goal when the ball crosses the goal line by some signals.
The main problem when technology is introduced comes when these technologies themselves makes some errors. People will start making the hell out of nothing when such a thing happens.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Don't sky claim to be able to show a player's every movement? Surely if they know where a player is at any given stage if they can tell where the ball is they can accurately call offside.

This ball crossing line debating is a real bore, it happens once every blue moon and if it isn't clear like the spudz goal noone gives a sh1t but as that happened all of a sudden it is vital we know if the ball crossed the line. Surely the handball by Saha which lead to Smith equalising against Blackburn was as crucial? If that had been seen the goal would have been disallowed and Blackburn would have won. These kind of incidents are far more comment, why bring in technology for incidents in maybe 1/100th of the games when diving, handballs and penalty claims come a lot more often in every game

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
a recent article from Sports illustrated online.....

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) -- FIFA will consider using an electronic microchip inside soccer balls at the 2006 World Cup finals if the technology proves successful.

The microchip, intended to confirm whether or not a ball has crossed the goal line, will be tested at the under-17 world championship in Peru in September and October. FIFA (the Federation Internationale de Football Association) is the official governing body of international soccer.

"We will test the goal-line technology at the FIFA under-17 world championship in Peru. If it works OK, we could introduce the chipped ball at the World Cup 2006," FIFA president Sepp Blatter said Monday at the Confederations Cup, which starts Wednesday.

"We will run the test but I don't know that it will be successful," Blatter added. "But at least we are going to try it."

Blatter cited two games where rival teams have disputed goals.

At the 1966 World Cup final, a linesman ruled that Geoff Hurst's shot had hit the crossbar and bounced over the line for England's third goal against West Germany at Wembley.

Although the ball bounced back into play, the goal stood and England went on to win 4-2.

More recently, Liverpool was awarded a goal this season in the semifinals of the Champions League against Chelsea. The Blues, however, were convinced that defender William Gallas had cleared the ball off the line.

Liverpool won the game 1-0 and went on to win the trophy.

"There were 12 cameras at the game but nobody was able to say for sure if the ball crossed the line or not," Blatter said. "It's part of the game.

"Like the players, referees make mistakes. The only people who don't make mistakes are the spectators. The technology will take away the fun of discussing whether the ball went in or not. They will be missing out on something."

Another recent error came during a Jan. 4 game when Tottenham appeared to have scored against Manchester United in the 89th minute of a 0-0 draw. United goalkeeper Roy Carroll let Pedro Mendes' long-range shot slip through his hands and replays showed the ball about a yard over the line, but referee Mark Clattenburg declined to call it a goal.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts