Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's quite a big debate at the moment.

Firstly I must state that I haven't yet made up my mind on England.

CASE FOR:

Many people think Scotland, N.Ireland & Wales alike should be supporting England because we all come under the Union Jack. We are all British teams and I for one am proud to be British & Scottish. I have no problem with the flying of the Union Jack in Scotland and my own team, Glasgow Rangers have very strong British roots and are a proud British club. England are the only British country represented in Japan & Korea so why shouldn't the Scots cheer them on?

Another reason to support England, is that unlike Argentina or Germany, they stood shoulder to shoulder with Scottish troops in the World Wars. Although this is all in the past and too political for this site I won't go into further detail. There is also suggestions that it will be disrespectful to cheer on Argentina when they play England. Many died in the Falklands war & survivors think it would be disrespectful and again I don't want to go into detail.

My final reason for contemplating cheering on the English squad is that up here, in Scotland, the National Press harps on about Bigotry and how Rangers and Celtic need to stamp this out. But in truth every other day the papers are making racist comments towards the English and are so anti-England it's quite embarresing. By supporting England at the World Cup we mat be able to help quash this racism that is widespread in Scotland. I know for a fact that the English papers are not the same. They tend to concentrate on their own team rather than slander the Scots.

CASE AGAINST:

Hardly a day goes by without hearing about 1966 :eek: and it does get a little boring after a while. So why should we cheer them on and risk an ear-bashing for another 30+ years?

The arrogance from a lot of England fans is sickening, and it get's a bit tiresome hearing 'we can win this' every four years. I've been slagged off about our defeat to S.Korea which is fair enough, but what is worse, 4-1 defeat with 2 regulars at the most? Or a 1-1 draw with superstars like Michael Owen? :confused:

The commentators, ignorant and thick if you ask me, they know hee-haw about the world game and I could do their job with my eyes close(It would be hard but I could do it ;) )

CONCLUSION:

Looking at the above I'm still thinking long and hard about cheering them on, I'll probably be branded a bigot, but rather be that than small-minded & racist.

I'll be cheering on Denmark the hardest though;)

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
up to you, but 99% of scotts want us to get hammered due to bitterness and i never see anti-scott comments in the media. I did support Scotland until i found out how much the majority of scotts hate my guts :rolleyes:

·
International
9,526 Posts
I've always supported Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland and even the republic, knowing that most of the footballing contingent within those countries would love us to fall over in the first round. But as for going on about 1966, well, maybe the media do, but none of my mates make much of it. Only when bitter fans from other countries start decrying it, telling us we haven't done anything, or go on about Hurst's goal, do I talk about it. After all, people say 'oh, England have only won it once' but when you consider that only 7 countries have ever actually won it at all, its not bad. But its the here and now that counts. I don't think we'll win it, this time round, but we'll give it a go.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Russell, I'd ask you to continue cheering on Scotland, we should be united as a Union, and don't pay attention to the filth that is printed in the Scottish press day in day out, I don't. 99.9% is not accurate, I know you were only exaggerating but if you look @ the Glasgow Rangers messageboard it is a 50/50 split between England & Scotland but the reason for Rangers fans supporting England are not the right reasons.

Fred Elliott, when I mentioned (whisper it)1966, I did mean the Press talk about it too much not the regular fan.

I like to see all countries of the Union do well, but the ROI, don't bother with them, they are no more british than the Swedes IMO ;)

Let's just say if England were drawing with Sweden and in a position where they go through and Sweden were awarded a penalty and up stepped Larsson, then I'd want him to miss :D

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
up until probably 2 years ago, i used to hate England at football so much, and take great pleasure in seeing the Germans beat them at penalties all the time :D

But lately i've realised this is a bit pathetic, and i get embarrassed by the attitude of many people, hoping England lose more than they hope Scotland win

That doesn't mean i support England though, just that i dont really care so much what happens....although saying that i have an Argentina top (mainly cos its colours) and will definitely be supporting them in the big game, hoping that Claudio Caniggia comes on and scores the winner :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think that all scotland fans should cheer on England as we are a better side and it won't be enjoyable for any scotland fans to just sit there impartial.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Why would they cheer England when the best team from the old Empire in the WC is EIRE???

GO IRISH! :)

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Brilliant topic ChelseaBear!:)

Now I don't wanna get political here, but why should I support England? I don't believe the Union givess anything to my country, but is that really a good enough reason to support England anyway? Hey, since Britain & Germany are both in the EU, lets see all the English people cheering on for the Germans:rolleyes: Not gonna happen, is it?

Now it is worth pointing out that there's a few reasons why we, the Scots, aren't so keen on the English, & most of them are quite stupid. But here goes.

1) History. The countries spent the majority of human histroy warring against each other, & so naturally some "hatred" will remain, especially in the country that ultimately lost (we surrendered by letting some politicians sign for the Union).

2) Religion. Historically, ie before the up until the mid-1800's, Scotland was a mainly catholic country while England was protestant. Things have changed a helluva lot these days but it's something.

3) Jealousy. Yes I am Scottish & I will openly admit that jealousy comes into this rivalry a wee bit. Scotland have never qualified for the 2nd stage at a major tournament while England have won the biggest trophy in football.

4) British (read as English) Media. You have no idea how annoying it is getting ready to watch the biggest spectacle in club football, Real Madrid versus Bayer Leverkusen, to have to hear Des Lynam & his motley crew going on about how great England are. Or during the game having to listen to Big Ron & Clive Tyldsley talking about how Manchester United would be doing so much better than Leverkusen:rolleyes:

5) 1966. OK this could go down partially under jealousy, & also partly under media, but really this one just deserves a topic of it's own. Every time England win a couple of games in the World Cup they think it will be 1966 all over again. I don't know if I could cope with '66 all over again, & while it won't happen this summer, don't count against it in 2006.

Oh my god. I can't believe I said England can win the World Cup when I am alive to witness the fall out:tongue:

Still, my loyalties are primarly with the Azzuri, though I will be cheering on Sweden, Nigeria, Argentina & then probably France because the thought of another '66 is just unbareable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All Scottish fans should cheer on England as England are a far superior team. The Scots, when it comes to World cup time are either not there or just go to make up the numbers so for a change support a decent team, it will also give them a chance to appreciate a good standard of football for a change.

Put away your tartan and fly the George Cross

Go on England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Interesting theory Stevie, but it doesn't work. So when Manchester United get knocked out of the European Cup should their die hards should be supporting Arsenal/Liverpool? It's pretty unlikely. Or how about if Isreal qualified for the WC, should the Palestinians be supporting them?

To be frank, I get more enjoyment of watching the Italian game than either the English or Spanish, & so if I really wanted to support someone at the World Cup I'd support the Azzuri...And so I am, even with Del Piero in the side:rolleyes:

The thing is that great rivals do not support each other in club football & so why should things be different at international level, when things are even more passionate.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've made up my mind :)

I will cheer on Argentina & Denmark because they have players who represent my club, when England play I will simply be happy to see them win and happy to see them lose, if they draw I'm buggered ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
I definitely wont be supporting England in Japan & South Korea this summer.

It’s nothing personal (Fred), I know a few Englishmen, and get along with all of them. However, as a nation I can’t stand England. They are so arrogant.
They still go on and on about 1966. This is annoying, but I know we would do it too if the situation was reversed.

Basically, it’s jealousy. They have wot I want, A good league, A great NT team, lots of promising youngsters, and a tonne of money :D

Yes, in sport, I support whoever England are playing. But who cares? Its only a game. It is friendly rivalry (okay fierce friendly rivalry, but friendly none the less) If we went to war or anythin like that the whole of Britain would unite as one.

No-one would expect a Man Utd fan to support Arsenal in the CL. So why expect it in a more passionate situation?

Stevie: Do you think that, by your own logic, every single football fan should support France? They are superior to all therefore should be the only team that ppl should support? Cant you understand that football is a game? We don’t really care if we are a bad footballing nation (okay we would all love it to be so much better), We appreciate it is a sport, a game, created to bring entertainment to people. We, the Scots, are always there, partying, singing, having a good time. We never are successful, but we always enjoy it. We don’t cause fights (generally), we don’t provoke other fans, and we don’t ruin every sporting event held every 2 years. We get along with other supporters, and above all, enjoy the occasion. Wouldn’t you like to be able to say your country are so light-hearted and friendly, but at the same time, passionate and competitive.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
adam2k1- I understand what you mean and i respect your opinions.

I couldn't really care less if you cheered on England or not.

But it's becoming a serious problem among Scottish youth to dispise the English. It isn't a just a simple dislike for the English national team, its racism to anything English. A great example of this is when Celtic fans decided to boo out a 2minute silence in tribute for the Queen Mother. I realise it's a minority I am talking about here but its pathetic to see such things from the fans branded the "Friendliest" in Europe.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
one_love_PARMA! said:
Now I don't wanna get political here, but why should I support England? I don't believe the Union givess anything to my country, but is that really a good enough reason to support England anyway? Hey, since Britain & Germany are both in the EU, lets see all the English people cheering on for the Germans:rolleyes: Not gonna happen, is it?
That's because we're different countries. When we all speak Esperanto, and all swear allegiance to a Letzburgesch President, then I'll cheer on the other EU nations (Not Germany though...).
one_love_PARMA! said:
2) Religion. Historically, ie before the up until the mid-1800's, Scotland was a mainly catholic country while England was protestant. Things have changed a helluva lot these days but it's something.
For a Scot, you know surprisingly little about Scotland. The Scottish reformation happened in the 17th century, no the 19th. The Scots have never been fiercely anti-Protestant, and the English have never been fiercely anti-Catholic like on Europe, except in the 1550s.
one_love_PARMA! said:
3) Jealousy. Yes I am Scottish & I will openly admit that jealousy comes into this rivalry a wee bit. Scotland have never qualified for the 2nd stage at a major tournament while England have won the biggest trophy in football.
Understandable, but, then, if there were a World Cup in 1872, Scotland would automatically make the final!

As for me cheering on Scotland, there are three factors:

1. Why? You know they'll lose in the 1st round anyway.
2. How many Rangers players are playing?
3. How many Celtic players are playing?

If more 2 than 3, count me in. If more 3 than 2, I'll be supporting Germany before I start supporting Scotland. I just hate Celtic...

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
It’s nothing personal (Fred), I know a few Englishmen, and get along with all of them. However, as a nation I can’t stand England. They are so arrogant
you know enough English to make such a bold statement? i dont think so....

I would say the English are one of the most polite societies in the world. You say we are arrogant, is this because the scottish media portrays us as stuck up snobs who look down on everyone?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
my main problem with the English in football terms is their hooligan fans. Not just a tiny minority looking for trouble (which every country/team has), but thousands of them at times.

However, they seem to have sorted themselves out on this front and seem to be attracting human beings who get more into the spirit of things than teaching 'johnny foreigner' a lesson, so i have less of a problem with their team doing well. I like some of the England players, i watch the EPL on tv and i wish England well but would never support them as my international team. When Beckham scored the penalty today I felt no natural passion for the goal and did not cheer, which proves I am not an England 'fan'. However I wasnt unhappy for him scoring either so i dont hate or dislike them either. Just as long as they are out before the final i wish them luck!

Mind you if England get Denmark later in the competition i'll support Denmark, because of blue Peter. If they get France, i'll support France because they play in blue. Same goes for Italy. Spain because my girlfriend is Spanish. Senegal, South Korea, Japan because they are major underdogs And Brazil because its Brazil. Other than that i'm fairly neutral ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts