Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Niall Quinn obviously had a big influence on Keane's goal agains Germany and played pretty well in the final 20 minutes he was in. My question is should Quinn start up front with Duff dropping to midfield? Quinn probably couldn't go the full 90, but he adds a physical prescence that Duff and Keane don't seem to have. I think this would be big against Saudi Arabia, who were just pushed around by Germany and, specifically, Carsten Jancker. I think Ireland could win even without Quinn starting, but I think a strike force of Quinn and Keane would be great with Duff blazing up the wing.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Well I'd like to see a formation like this for the Saudi game

--------------------------------Given-------------------------------------

Finnan---------Cunningham----------Stan-------------Harte--------

--------------Kinsella----------------Holland----------------------------

Reid--------------Keane-------------Quinn--------------------Duff

A sort of a 4 2 4 formation. It aint gonna happen though. Looks like he's sticking with the team of Keane and Duff up front.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
We need to play 4-3-3, Duff keeps going out on the wing and crossing it in when he should be in the centre waiting for a cross. He is doing tll the work and if we played Keane, Quinn and Duff up front I think it would work better.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Why should Duff be waiting in the middle for crosses? He's tiny, and he's also the best crosser we have. I'd like Quinn to play the first half along with Robbie, try and get a couple of early goals. Very early goals, as I'll only get to see the first ten minutes. :depress: Not sure what to make of Reid yet, haven't seen him for long enough, but I'd start Kilbane on the left wing purely because of his height which could be useful at corners. Duff can play on the right, in fact he'd proabably make a good fist of any position, bar between the sticks. It's a waste of time discussing it though, as McCarthy won't change a drawing team.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
It's a waste of time discussing it though, as McCarthy won't change a drawing team.
Too right...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't think I'd change it either. Duffy is a good little scrapper and seems to know his business and anticipates Keane pretty well. I'm not sure where Quinn would fit in, other than off the bench to add fresh legs and a hard body in the last half. He could score several that way.

Either way, good luck to you guys. Score LOTS!

Oldplayer

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Thanx for the hand up! I think we can get a good enough score-line. It's up to Cameroon and Germany to make sure there is no draw...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts