Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think its at least worth a try in some friendlies.

If we have a midfield with Camoranesi, Pirlo and Fiore - we would have suitable sources for creativity in the team. Potentially Cassano (if in form) or Del Piero could also play a major role:

Camo---Fiore---Gattuso

---------Pirlo?---------

Toni/Gila---DP/Cassano

Marchionni could also be included in a more traditional 4-4-2 set up:

Camo/Fiore---Pirlo---Gattuso---Marchionni/Fiore

------------Gila/Toni----DP/Cassano-----------

Pirlo has the skill necessary to be a fine trequartista though he lacks the physical presence of Totti. Having said that, many people doubted that Pirlo would do well in a deep midfield position for the same reason but he ended up proving his doubters wrong.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Agreed, Cassano is the only player who could do the job. fiore springs to mind as well.

maybe del piero as well, but i think he does well coming off the bench later in the game playing that type of role cuz he is fresh while others are buggered.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Great Outdoors said:
NO! Why on earth should he? Who's going to play at Pirlo's position then?

Cassano is a straightforward replacement.
:thumbsup:

well cassano absolutley needs to be called up for the march friendly if he's not.....then its time to be worrried because this friendly is prettty much gonna show what lippi plans on playing at the WC.

del piero cannot start at this WC! he had his chances and let us down before, i know he's on form but regardless cassano needs to start, del piero will be fine coming off the bench.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I frankly don't think Cassano can play Totti's role!! I know cassano very well, i've seen nearly all games he played for Roma & now the few minutes at Real, this men is a forward, not an attacking midfielder.. Totti's role is made for him, surely no one will fit in it but maybe Pirlo or Camoranesi have the biggest chances for success!! If you watch Juve's games, Camo can be sharp comming from the middle!!

So either:

Marchionni--Pirlo--Gattuso
----------Camoranesi-----
----Gilardino----Cassano--

or give Perrotta the chance he 100% deserves: here Pirlo & Perrotta can keep on exchangig roles with Camo as well, & Pirlo may play his role as usual!!

Camo---Perrotta---Gattuso
---------Pirlo-----------
----Gila------cassano

This in my opinion is better than the Del Piero idea as a starter, becz DP must be the Super-sub, we need that thing he's created throughout this season!!

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Judginvg from what Lippi is saying, maybe Italy won't play with a trequartista. In fact, not many teams actually use one.

Its an Italian obsession to have the one BIG star calling all the shots.

I think its most likely that Lippi simply plays 4-3-3 or uses a 4-4-2. If you can't find an exact replica of Totti, then don't use a substandard one. Play to your strengths! Italy have good forwards and it shouldn't be too hard to play with 3 up front......and now Italy has interesting wingers in Camoranesi, Fiore, Esposito and Marchionni to pick from.

I would actually prefer the attacking play to involve more than 1 player and be shared by 2 or more players. That is actually more healthy.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I hate the idea that we might be abandoning the 4-3-1-2. I was so looking forward to using this in the World Cup and now it seems my dreams will be shattered. This is a sad day.

I'd agree that Cassano is not a natural trequartista; he simply drifts around too much to be able to dictate the pace of a match as charismatically as Totti does. No matter how you see it, Cassano IS a substandard replacement for Totti. Apart from Ronaldinho I think everyone else in the world will be.

Please don't float around the idea of Camoranesi as trequartista; I just can't imagine him doing that in the middle of the pitch. And getting Pirlo to play in that position is just suicidal; you're lifting a player away from his optimal position and placing him somewhere he hasn't played in for a couple of years. I don't think any coach in the world will do that and expect to get away with it..

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Firenze said:
What about Morfeo?
Not of the same build as Totti IMHO. Since Lippi has in mind a Milan style lineup, 3 players only could fill in that spot: Totti, Ronaldinho and Kaka.
Having said that naturally we all wish Totti will recover, eventually Lippi would necessarily need to switch to something else.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Honestly, theres no current Italian player who is capable of taking Totti's position in the NT. If Cassano is the straightforward replacement, i would be seriously worried bout our chance to Win the World Cup.

If say Totti doesnt recover in time(which im sure he will), No way Italy Can play with the current 4-3-1-2 line up. Lippi said he will switch to 4-4-2 if im not mistaken, but IMO a 4-3-3 is a way better Choice with Cassano & Del Piero supporting the Sole striker which is either Toni or Gilardino. With the 3 midfield players comprise of Perotta, Pirlo and Gattuso.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
I don't think Pirlo should take Totti's spot
hes tried and failed

Pirlo is the ebst in the planet in his position
Nothing else to add

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
When Morfeo's name can be mentioned..... :eekani: I just have to say that Maresca should not be outside consideration, considering that he is playing a better season than most every other Italian central/attacking midfielder.

...although I have absolutely no doubt that Maresca will not even get a friendly and that Totti will indeed be there for the tournament.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Glen said:
When Morfeo's name can be mentioned..... :eekani: I just have to say that Maresca should not be outside consideration, considering that he is playing a better season than most every other Italian central/attacking midfielder.

...although I have absolutely no doubt that Maresca will not even get a friendly and that Totti will indeed be there for the tournament.

What's wrong with Morfeo? He is better then your loverboy (Maresca) is when it comes to beeing a playmaker. Especially as replacement to Totti.

Morfeo is the closest italian genius to totti. Right now he's having a dip in form but he still is CLASS allover!!!

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Maresca, like every other Italian midfielder, cannot replace Totti in his position. It would be different from Totti's Italia no matter who you choose. Much like Diavolo said - very few could take on the same kind of role.

Just don't see a reason to choose someone playing rather crappy for an ...ahem... small side without any ambition :cry: . In that sense I think playing one of the most in-form playmakers in the Spanish league, playing for a team chasing the CL and UEFA, who can score, create goals and defend too, would be somewhat smarter. With respect.

Of course the team would be different, but positionally speaking Maresca is closer to resembling Totti the midfielder than Morfeo is. If anything - the move could also make sense because Italy's midfield is not very solid defensively.

Not to say that Maresca is an obvious option because noone who hasn't played a single NT match can be a logical option for an Italian WC side, but when we talk of someone creative for an attacking midfield position - the selection range is rather limited.... and Morfeo seems to me an outlandish option.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts