Xtratime Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am australian, at least I am now. I live here and support australian soccer, wecurrently have over 150 players plying their trade in europe, not all of them are in the best footballing countries but a fair few of them are very established players in the top leagues in the world (Viduka, Kewell, Agostino, emerton)

So australian soccer as a NT are very much going forward!!

so it brings to the point? should oceania have direct qualification??? so far i have only spoken briefly about australia, and prtty much, that is as far as oceania goes! New zealand upset the socceroos 3 years ago to go to Confederations cup and in the previous cup australia made the final...

The point is that every other continent has at least 1 team going to the world cup. Europe, Africa, Sth and Nth America, Asia and any other one i miss out on all has a fair and even qualification system.

SAying this, it is because At least in every other continent there is multiple good countries vying for a place. Oceania has pretty much just australia, this is why the qualification in oceania is a joke, because australia still has to qualify against the likes of Soloman Island, vanuata and Cook islands etc which end up getting beat 31-0 etc.

So what should be done?

I believe to make oceania soccer better 1 spot should be awarded, Sept Blatter is an advocate for this. Others say that Oceania should join up with some asian teams and form an Asia-Oceania group where 2 teams or however many can qaulify from.

I just dont believe it is fair at the moment, that a team like uruguay who miss out on the CONCACEF top 4 get a second chance.

And how fair is it on australia that they have to play uruguay to get in the world cup? obviously uruguay at home is a lot more of an advantage than australia at home. And quite frankly they are the better team.

Australia pretty much plays 2 games of football eveyr 4 years which determines if they make the WC or not. Unlike Other NT who have training camps and practice matches together, Australia plays their best XI in these 2 matches only, and they meet up for a week before these 2 matches.

And how unfair is it that then the club managers complain that the players want to play for australia, Oceanian soccer gets treateted like dirt, and in a way it is not undue. FIFA does not look after this area of football, and our own Soccer Bosses do nothign for the game as well.

The major issue is that teams that australia have beaten and are much better than are making the world cup through the asian and african and even Nth American qualification. Senegal, Tunisia?? come on, Australia beat tunisia by a bette score than england did. And i can garuntee that Australia would do a lot better against england than they would against uruguay.

Bottom line is that FIFAhave to go one way or the other, the current system is crap. absolute rubbish! theres no fairness in it. And now it has to change. Even if they were chucked in the europe divisons (far fetched i know ;)) and givena fair qualification path.

IF they dont qualify then, ok that means they were not good enough, but eventually something has got to give

·
Registered
36,439 Posts
In a word, NO !

I am living in Australia, currently studying in NZ. If Australia isn't good enough to beat the 5th SA team, they have no business at the world stage. The WC is meant for t he best teams, not for equal geographical distribution. I guarantee that any team that got 3rd in the UEFA qualifiers, would beat Australia.

Plus football is like Australia's 5th sport, which is pathetic, half the country couldn't tell you what an offside is. I think Australians should stop their moaning and face the facts, there's no interest, hence less talent, therefore a weak national team.

Sure it's unfair, I know that Samoa and the other teams are pathetic, but they're also Rugby countries that don't take football seriously. I know the Aussie NT play every 4 years, I know the skills of Skoko, Viduka and Kewell, also Simunic and Seric who play for Croatia. It's amazing for so much talent to come out of Australia considering a population that enjoys "league" and "aussie rules" more than the world game.

Direct qualification would be unfair to the country that loses it's spot to favour Oceania's team, a country that's probably better than Australia or NZ.

So a happy medium must be reached, I propose a playoff of Oceania nations, the top 2 go into Asian qualifiers and try to prove their worth.

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
The best thing to do is to put Australia into Asia, that way we will have at least 5-6 good qualifying games in front of 80,000 people, instead of about 2000 when the piss poor Oceania teams are in town, and the Australian FA are in large debt and this would help considerably.

The main problem would be getting the European based players to fly over from Europe every so often for the games. Some players have already stressed that it would be very tiring flying 20 hours from Europe to play a qualification game.

Also, remember this is a World Cup, and it's not really the World Cup is it when there is no Oceanian team there except for the times when Australia qualified in 1974 and NZ in 1982.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes, I think Oceania deserves at least one berth to the World Cup. Australia and New Zealand are two quality teams who are better than some of the qualifying teams out of CONCACAF, CAF, and AFC.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I see your point Beechy. But still I have to agree with Ero, if you can't beat the 5th team in South America you're not ready for the WC.
IF Oceania would be given one spot to the WC, Australia would have the monopoly on that spot, which isn't that fair either.
I'd like to do a similar proposition as KingItaly made, put Asia and Oceania together. It would give Australia better opponents overall, which would bring more interest to the game and develop Australian football.
And to make things a bit more fair perhaps Africa should give one spot away to Asia-Oceania since Asia is a much bigger continent and have overall equal teams to the African ones.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Direct qualification NO WAY.
If you can't beat the 4th best Asian team (98) or 5th best CONMEBOL (02) then you don't deserve an automatic place (coz lets face it, it's a free ticket for Australia, who could qualify with their domestic players in Oceania). Play your qualifiers with AFC and give us your 1/2 ticket, that way, either you qualify, or we get an extra place, and everyone is happy.

·
Registered
36,439 Posts
exactly, I may have come down somewhat harshly on Australia, a better qualification system must be incorporated, but in no way direct qualification.

Oceaniasimply aren't good enough, San Marino could beat every team there bar Australia, they would easily beat NZ

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok... sorry i aint been back! forgot that i posted this thread!! :D

uum,

ERO: i think u have been maybe a little harsh, u say that if we cant beat the 5th best Sth American team then we shouldnt be there. This is perhaps true, but if u were too put up any of the african sides that qualified (and i mean any: cameroon, nigeria, etc) against uruguay in uruguay, I doubt that the african side would win. And then take the Asian qualification.... Australia shot itself in the foot in 98 because we had iran down and out. Only ******** Peter Hore who tangled himself int he net and delayed the game for 20 minutes is to blame, unfortunately Iran controlled themselves and handled themselves better in the situation.

Now, you also said that every tmea that finished 3rd in their UEFA qualification would beat australia?? are you being serious?? theres no way australia are not in the best 20 in the world, I barely support them, I am english, but because I live in australia I feel some National pride coming through :D But i do think they are in the top 20 (maybe 25) in the world.

i said it before, i can garuntee that the aussies would be competitive against the english NT.

I dont believe in direct qualification either, not unless there were 2 other decent sides in the region. Yet, like said before, it is not a world cup without an oceania nation.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Azzurri1009 said:
Australia and New Zealand are two quality teams
:eek: :confused: New Zealand a quality team? :dielaugh: :D

I am one of those who thinks Australia should try to play in the Asia qualifiers. If a direct place was given to Oceania then Australia would make it into every single WC but then get smashed because of poor preperation. During the Oceania qualifiers Autralia was playing with the reserves of the reserves and won with 31-0 scorelines in some games.
For Australia to successfully make it into the WC I think 2 very big things need to be done. 1) Play against better opponents in qualification and more importantly 2) Play with the starting team MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more often(this could come as result if 1) happens).

·
Registered
36,439 Posts
Beechy said:
ERO:
Now, you also said that every tmea that finished 3rd in their UEFA qualification would beat australia?? are you being serious?? theres no way australia are not in the best 20 in the world
Ofcourse it's the world cup if Ocenia nations are missing, it's not, I repeat, a cup made for equall oportunities among geographical locations, but a cup for the best 32 nations.

Teams that didn't qualify from Europe that are certainly better than Australia include Czech rep., Ukraine, Netherlands, Romania, Norway and most probably Scotland, Yugoslavia and some others. Australia has today it's best generation of players, but the unfortunate truth for them is that they don't play enough for the national team, due to the FIFA qualification system for Oceania.

The region itself is awful at football, it's a disgrace. How would you justify direct qualification? It's absurd. Football, as I said, isn't even the most popular sport for these tiny islands and their inhabitants. This would mean Australia would have the monopoly on a WC place every 4 years, only to get whipped into shape by supperior sides at the actual tournament. Nobody deserves a free lunch, which is what you're asking for.

Australia wouldn't make my list for the top 20, sorry.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The question must be better"Should AUSTRALIA qualify directly to the World Cup?"

And the answer is no.They must play at least against the 4th Asian team and if they don't win them,then Australia doesn't deserve to be in this big competition.

Can you imagine Australia to be always in the World Cup and break all the records?This will happen if Blatter do the stubitity to give them automatic qualification.

·
Administrator
12,308 Posts
There is no justification for direct qualification because if you believe that every confederation must be represented you are only one step away from saying that the bigger the confederation the more places it should have. It should based on quality of play and nothing else. However FIFA should do a better job with the qualification process. One time Oceania has to go thru S.America, the next thru Asia... if the qualification process is constant then it would be fairer for the Oceania representative

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes, at least thats 1 thing i agree with, consistency.

Find a metthod and stick with it,wether the oceania have their own qualification and say Australia joins asia or wether they play against Sth american side or whathaveyou.

I just wish their was a simple answer, but once again FIFA aremaking the possible seem impossible.

OK ERO: we agree to disagree ;) True, those nations u mentioned from europe are better sides that australia, well at least id say Netherlands, Cheque (cash, cha ching :D) Yugoslavia and Norway...

I have seen 95% of Australias games in the past 3 years and it has certainly been a major improvement. Venables brought this change in when he made it more professional!

The major problem is that countries like Fiji, Soloman Islands etc dont give a **** about the sport, yet still put a team in because it can make the government some money. And therefore it makes oceania look 5 times as bad.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Look at it this way.. imagine Aussies going directly to the WC and then loosin every game... wouldnt that be a bit embaressin? ;-)

believe me, you dont want to go before you are ready to go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.