Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you think we'd be better off having Mathis in midfield teaming up with Reyna & leaving Donovan to run up front?

Mathis seems like a harder man to me, more determination on 50/50 balls & able to open things up with his passing touch. Especially against a slow, tight defense like Poland, Donovan might get swallowed in midfield.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I used to think that, but then Mathis kept scoring all those goals.

Donovan hasn't really impressed me in the midfield though. I have a feeling we might not see too much of him in the World Cup.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well, PC, you make a very good point about Donovan. He simply isn't a midfielder (at least not yet). But I absolutely love his passing touch and the runs he makes, so it is a shame to keep him on the bench. I can see him in an attacking midfield position in coming years, a la Etcheverry or Valderamma.

That said, unless he slumps precipitiously over the next 6 weeks, there is no way we can take Mathis off the front line. He scores goals. They may not all be pretty but he gets the ball in the back of the net and that's what the U.S. desperately needs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Purple Cowbopy,

Swithc Mathis and Donovan? NO WAY! Keep Mathis on the front line and Donovan on the bench! :D

Oldplayer

P.S. Seriously, I like Donovan, but he has VERY much to learn and his speed is just not enough right now. Mathis might actually be one of the first Americans we've seen with the "Gift." The jury's still out, but we will know in a year or so whether it is he or whether we should wait for another.

Donovan will continue to improve. He needs to toughen a little and get more vision for himself, not others. He sees offensive opportunities well, but doesn't seem to position HIMSELF too well at times. On defense, he has a ways to go, something you allude to by suggesting he play up front. I see him now as a Reyna type player, but he could develop into much more.

IMHO

Oldplaeyr

·
Registered
42 Posts
Donovan does not belong in the midfield. Is too small and too young. I think he has a great first touch and shoot. He should play as backup for Mathis and O'Brian up front.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
I'd rather have Mathis start up front and have someone else besides Donovan in midfield. Whenever he is needed Donovan can come off the bench. Besides, even just ccoming along to the WC will be valuable experience for Donovan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mathis and Donovan

I agree that Donovan has a ways to go, expecially defensively before he can play as a solid midfielder. However, we may find in a few years that that is not the mold he needs to fit. He shows alot of similarities to a McBride type foward.

Oldplayer, I disagree with your comparison of him to Renya. There is one Donovan has that Renya does not come close to having . . . a shot. :D

-Turtle

·
Registered
674 Posts
Welcome Turtle

Turtle,

Welcome to Xtratime. Hope you enjoy the Board if you haven't been here before.

Couldn't agree more about the difference between Reyna and Donovan!

By the way, out of curiosity, where do you call home?

Oldplayer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Oldman . . . err . . . Oldplayer :D

BTW, tell Rach gratz on the win! It is about time!:tongue:

-Turtle

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Purple Cowboy said:
Don't you think we'd be better off having Mathis in midfield teaming up with Reyna & leaving Donovan to run up front?

Mathis seems like a harder man to me, more determination on 50/50 balls & able to open things up with his passing touch. Especially against a slow, tight defense like Poland, Donovan might get swallowed in midfield.

Any thoughts?
Where would you play Stewart ... He deserves to be on the pitch?
Who would cover the midfield on D?

The objective is to balance defence with offence, we are not yet Brazil.

I think that Donovan will play. He may not start, but he will play.
Hopefully he pulls a Michael Owen, forcing Bruce to include him, but for now IMHO, he is "not man" enough yet to start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts