Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not exactly the hottest issue today, but I was thinking about it Yesterday, does it serve any kind of purpose anymore? Nobody really takes this game too seriously and it gets the feeling of a semi-practice match many times. Take for example The Netherlands in 1998, how could they treat this game seriously after being cruely knocked out in the semis on penalties? I even remember one of the de Boer's saying he couldn't care less for the outcome of this match. Sure, countries like Croatia and Sweden have probably enjoyed winning the 3rd place, but 'winning' the 3rd place is a weak consolation for those who were that close from making the final and failed right before the finish line. So to sum it all up, the 3rd place match is nice and all, but it doesn't really give me the impression of a competitive game, you know.... :)

Your thoughts?

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
You have made a valid point about the commitment thing cuz it's very natural that the teams will not feel like playing that match. However, I just like to watch more and more games:D.....so I am against the idea of scraping it;)

:angel:

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Good question Ran.

To me its a very useless games, but in the past it has actually brought up some nice matches as teams are more "carefree" and open up when they play it.

Who can forget what Baggio did to Shelton in the WC90 3rd place match? it was amazing :)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
It's a useless game so it wouldn't be a bad idea to stop it.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
You make a great point, but you have to understand for many countries, this is there main sport. And if they can't be first or second in the world, they'll sure play their hearts out for 3rd. Trust me, if you were in their situation you'd feel much different.

·
International
9,526 Posts
I agree. I remember in 1990, after the semi final against Germany, England played the Italians in the 3rd place match with anything but a real interest in the game. Certainly, it mean't something to the ities, but I think to most teams, they'd prefer to be out of there as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Come on guys, WC is once in 4 years !!! in your average life you only see it 12-14 times!!!! more games should be fun ... that;'s the first reason... second: 3rd place should be the consolation game for te semi finalists .. they should appreciate what they have not thinking about what they have missed .... :)

·
Banned
692 Posts
Can't believe...

I can't believe some of you people, especially the ones from smaller countries (kostas). Don't tell me that you would not like to see your team play in a 3rd place match. For me, even though Croatia didn't make it to the finals it was a joy watching the match. Besides, Suker secured the golden boot at this match :D

Before responding, ask yourself this "if my country was knocked out of the finals would I still want it to have a chance at winning a third place match?"

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
If you place the subject like this "would you like your team to win the third place?" then my answer is yes.For nations like Brazil the third place may be unsuccessful but for many others this is an important match...But if you can understand it has not the lights of the final...

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
utopia: If I could say anything in favour of this match this would be it. :D It has s point but when I watch WC I wanna watch competitive games, not semi-friendly ones.

Soccer Star: You're a Portugal fan, let's look at Euro 2000 for a minute. Portugal were cruely eliminated after a dubious penalty call. Imagine that they had to play for the 3rd place then, how much effort would they put into this? Sure the fans might like it, but from the player's point of view they wouldn't make a huge effort to win this one. Besides, 3rd or 4th, if you reached the semis it means your team had a great tournament and they'll leave their mark on it anyway.

Lazindo: That's the point, their mind is busy crying about the miss instead of putting 100% effort into this game.

Boban: Your small country has participated for the first time ever in a WC, of course you'll be delighted by winning the 3rd place. Which country in your place wouldn't? :) But with all due respect, '3rd place' is a weak consolation for the big nations (Brazil, Germany, Holland, Italy and etc).

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
But consolation nonetheless. Even if the country doesn't take it seriously, it's a matter of placement. 3rd place matches happen in every sport virtually. Some sports even playoff for 5-6, 7-8, 9-10 etc.

Maybe a big country like Brazil can give some of their reserve players time in this match, and valuable WC experience. It is a shock to lose in the semis, but players get over it in a couple of days, and are usually ready come game time.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Soccer Star said:
You make a great point, but you have to understand for many countries, this is there main sport. And if they can't be first or second in the world, they'll sure play their hearts out for 3rd. Trust me, if you were in their situation you'd feel much different.
yep... its pretty shortsighted to think that countries only value first place... there are many countries that would just die to be 3rd in the world, no matter what... sure some might get dissapointed and play less, but 95% of countries/population would absolutly love it

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Raanan said:
Boban: Your small country has participated for the first time ever in a WC, of course you'll be delighted by winning the 3rd place. Which country in your place wouldn't? :) But with all due respect, '3rd place' is a weak consolation for the big nations (Brazil, Germany, Holland, Italy and etc).
what you are trying to say is that there are like 5 countries in the world that would get really dissapointed by not going into finals, so other 195 countries that play soccer should suffer?

I can bet you right now that those germans would have loved it if they were able to play for 3rd place... this year, Brazil will consider it a achivement, etc, etc...

... maybe you dont understand how cool/interesting/amazing is to see your NT playing? heck, half of good firendlies in Europe are packed, and they are playin for nothing and usually sub half of them team...

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Kostas said:
If you place the subject like this "would you like your team to win the third place?" then my answer is yes.For nations like Brazil the third place may be unsuccessful but for many others this is an important match...But if you can understand it has not the lights of the final...

That might be true, but for everyone 3rd place is better than NOTHING!!! so just play it well!!!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
also, when asked about it, great Michael Platini said that he definetly believes 3rd place game should be kept (France played it 2 times so far)... and France is definetly not a small football country ;-)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I don't think the 3rd place match should be cancelled. Some teams would want to console themsleves of the disappointment in the semis and try to finish 3rd in the tournament. I think UEFA should also have this game for the European Championships.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
spwolf said:

what you are trying to say is that there are like 5 countries in the world that would get really dissapointed by not going into finals, so other 195 countries that play soccer should suffer?

I can bet you right now that those germans would have loved it if they were able to play for 3rd place... this year, Brazil will consider it a achivement, etc, etc...

... maybe you dont understand how cool/interesting/amazing is to see your NT playing? heck, half of good firendlies in Europe are packed, and they are playin for nothing and usually sub half of them team...

Brazil finishing third would be an achievement? are you insane? Brazillian people demand to win the World Cup and win it in style and that's a fact. People know the Selecao will want to win it all and there is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that the Brazillian national team will find a way to win it all.

Germany beat Saudi Arabia 8-0 yesterday, another bad guess form you, both Germany & Brazil won't take third place as an achievement. Sorry to dissapoint you.

·
Registered
765 Posts
People in general don't remember the loser of a final - let alone who won the 3rd place. I think the 3rd place is a good consolation for a team/country that didn't get in the final.

I don't know who was 3rd in 1978 but I remember Argentina winning the final. (I was 7 years old and it's the first WC I remember)

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Have you guys ever witness being a third team? I was in 94. All of Sweden was treating the team as heros and this was the best thing that has ever happened to Swedish football in soooooooo many years. Pointless, no way!

Just looking at our WC 94 campaign and see us grab that third place makes me shiver. To see this coming from no where team, grabbing a medal and have thousands of people celebrating in Stockholm when they arrived made it all worth it. We didn´t win the gold, but we celebrated like we won it.

The third place match is far from pointless.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I kind of agree with you, but I mostly don't! If FIFA would start cancelling matches, they may start cancelling other things too and in about 10 - 20 years there would be no WOrld Cup. That's what could happen. I mean does it really matter? If you don't like the match, don't watch it, don't care about it and don't find out who won. In major tournaments like the World Cup, there should be a 3rd place sot to play for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts