Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think, the calls for his sacking are only increasing with this poor run of form and what is more seeming to be a battle against relegation. I think the fact that this team was once 4th place in the league only hurts him more. Derby haven't won a match since New Year's Day and they haven't won at home since November and since that win its been 1 point from 18 at home!!

Me personally, I think he should still stay for now, but the next five matches are crucial: Scunthorpe (away), Hull (home), Sheffield United (away), Doncaster (home), Barnsley (home)

That's three winnable home games and I expect at least one win in the away matches. If they team doesn't show improvement in these upcoming fixtures then I'm afraid its time to make a change

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Unless the board feel the need for a scapegoat they win't sack him, as they share the blame for the current position, from the team that was 4th, moxey, commons, moore and kuqi have all gone, and that has come in is ben davies from notts county. the squad was paperthin during the good run and was only a few players injured or leaving, and a loss in form and confidence away from the disaster we see now.

Clough hasn't helped him self with public fallings out with players, and some strange decisions, but the next games are crucial, we need some wins desperately, from there i'm not sure right now.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Don't think theres many managers that would still have a job at this point, but it costs money to sack a manager and appoint a new one, still don't think the board will do it.

·
Registered
69,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you think he can survive a 3:1 home loss to Doncaster? I still think they won't pull the trigger, the win at Sheffield probably buys him more time but no wins at home since November is shocking

·
Registered
455 Posts
Doncaster are my favourite championship team so no shame in losing to them. :)
I just remember when Clough was appointed i got abused for questioning his qualifications and was told this was some long term plan, hopefully he can survive the season.

·
Registered
69,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/02/nigel-clough-derby-county

Derby board state Clough is safe for the season and they wish to see him managing the club next season.

I still think Derby will survive in this league, but I find these home results unacceptable and the fact that Derby are once again in the lower half of the table. I wasn't expecting playoffs, but at the same time I wasn't expecting it to be this bad

And again, to be fair to Clough, its not all his fault, the board must take some responsibility in selling the best players and not replacing them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good to hear, hopefully theres not too much moaning against Barnsley.
Not wishing to kick you whilst you're down but looking at your squad i'm not sure six players is enough, relying on loans is asking for trouble given their uncertain commitment.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
hopefully we will stay up, then next season he really has to do something, we cant have yet another season like this, the board have to do their bit as well, clough has already said he wants 6 new signings in the summer.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
it's possible, i've always thought hes more likely to walk than get sacked so far. Though i think his strong connections with the club, and he's proved at burton he's willing to stay and build slowly, so i think he will stay on for a good while yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts