Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a couple of websites, Trapp has been quoted as saying that he will NOT be picking Roby Baggio due the high risk Baggio runs. While this is certainly true with the WC being only 44 days away, do you all think Baggio should be/have been picked for the squad? Personally, I am a huge Baggio fan and supporter and would love to see him make the squad. This is certainly his last chance at the WC and his chances for making the Euro 2004 squad seem slim also. However, the question begs is Baggio ready and who would he replace? I don't think anyone can answer the first question since Baggio has not played since the injury although, according to reports, he plans to play either this month or the beginning of May. However, I think there are a couple players he could replace. Certainly Totti and Del Piero are locks. Doni is in excellent form and should go. That leaves Montella and Delvecchio. I think Baggio could replace either and I would pick Delvecchio personally. Although experienced, I think he is overrated and not very creative with the ball at his feet. Another option would be to play Baggio as a midfielder and drop someone there. Any opinions?

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
I think it will be tough for Baggio to play in the wc, and now he's been injured for so long also. DP, Totti, Vieri and Montella among our forwards should be untouchable IMO. And i think all of them most likely will be included in the squad too. Although it's likely we have 5 forward with us. So Baggio will have to compete against Inzaghi, Di Vaio and Delvecchio, but if i remember it correct Trap said that he'll include Delvecchio as a back up for Vieri. We mostly play with one tall physical player like Vieri, Delvecchio who's got at air balls and one smaller faster guy with great techical skills like Montella, DP. I don't think Baggio will be chosen, but if he will, he'll have to make some real miracles when he comes back and have some luck too. Baggio is a legend, the best italian player ever. He shall be given a chance i think, this will be his last tournament ever for sure, it really would be great finnishing his career with a new WC medal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm a huge Baggio fan and was really sad to see him go down injured right before the WC. If he's fit I think he should be on the team no question about it. Baggio has that gift that not many have, to pull out a win when least expected. Look back to the other WCs that Baggio played in, how many times did he save Italy from possible disaster? Against Nigeria, Spain in 94 and against Chile in 98. He knows what it takes to win and his leadership would be a great lift for the Azzurri. As far as playing him in the mid field, I think would be a good idea. They could play him as an attacking midfielder right behind Vieri and whoever else the choose for the stryker role. Wouldn't it be great for Baggio to sneak on the team and pull out a late minute goal to win the WC for Italy? ;)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Baggio set for Sunday return? Wednesday 17 April, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brescia’s Roberto Baggio could be on the bench for Sunday’s game against Fiorentina just 77 days after undergoing knee surgery.

The Italian legend, 35, has been sidelined since February but is on course to make a record recovery according to his doctor.

"Baggio is very well and on Thursday he will undergo some final tests," said Gianni Nanni. "If there are no problems then why shouldn’t he be part of the squad for Sunday?"

The medic added: "Baggio already wanted to play against Inter last week. He has an unbelievable hunger and determination to return. His recovery is nothing short of extraordinary."

The former Juventus star had initially hoped to be back for the final two games of the season. But his early return would be a vital boost to his relegation threatened side.

"I feel good, better than when I was in hospital," said Baggio. "What will I be doing this weekend? I’m still thinking about it."

Baggio is also hoping that he can still force his way into the Italian national side for the World Cup even if Coach Giovanni Trapattoni has hinted that he will not be selected.

"I can’t take too many doubts along with me," said Trap. "I need healthy players and I don’t think that nature can perform miracles."

channel4

·
Registered
33 Posts
Baggio won't go unless their is an injury to a key forward and even that happens it's still unlikely. Even though he's injured I still think he should be picked if he proves himself in the last couple games.

Face it, for a player who one the golden ball and WP award, the NT has shown him little respect. Since 94 he has been snubbed by the NT and I don't think its right. He definitely should have gone to Euro96 and he probably should have gone to 2000 in Vieri's absence, but Zoff chose not to include him. I don't know the last when an Italian player won the golden ball, but I'll bet it has been awhile. I'll bet Trap would wait for Vieri, DP, or Totti if they were in the same position, but there not.

I believe Baggio has done enough for Italian football to be awarded this opportunity. To change his legacy as the player who missed the decisive penalty in WC94. Any player in the same position would desperately want another chance to change that.
His was the most famous penalty miss of all time.

·
Registered
584 Posts
baggio should definitely be in the world cup squad its only because trap is a wanker that he won't pick him
baggio should replace del vecchio

·
Registered
46,743 Posts
I think that in a 23 players team you must risk something, so Trap must risk to convoke for the WC Robi Baggio. If he is healthy he will be important, if he is not you have 22 more players. Perhaps, if Trap leaves Adani home...
GK Toldo,Buffon,X (a GK who probably will never play)
DF Nesta,Cannavaro,Maldini,Materazzi,Panucci,X (not Adani please!Better "old" Ferrara than Iuliano)
MF C.Zanetti,Tommasi,Di Biagio,Doni,Zambrotta,Coco,X,X (Gattuso and Tacchinardi in my opinion are too bad, I would call Antonio Conte and Ambrosini...)
FW Vieri,Montella,Inzaghi,Delpiero (perhaps it would be better to leave him home, people says he was the cause of our flop in 1998 and 2000, if he does another mistake he won't come back to Italy... :D ),Delvecchio,R.Baggio,Totti

Consider that R.Baggio and Totti in a 3-5-2 can be offensive MF.
In my opinion these are the best in Italy now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts