Xtratime Community banner

Should Atlético leave the Calderon?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, Atlético signed a pre-agreement with the Regional Government of Madrid to leave the Calderon and to play in the future Olympic Stadium, popularly knonw as "La Peineta".

This agreement is the base to start the negotiations, but it doesn't mean that it's definitive. This operation would allow Atlético to achieve the money needed to build a competitive team and clear the huge debt, although the agreement doesn't show any amount. Some reports talk about 226,2 M €.

On the other hand, Atlético would lose the main asset of their patrimony and a symbol for many fans, who are already protesting for this decission. The Asociacion de Peñas Atléticas (Atlético fan asociation) and the group "Salvemos el Calderon" (Save the Calderon) say that the club would only earn 80 million € and they say that Atlético would have to pay from 4,76 M to 14,5 M € per year to use La Peineta.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Well, I wouldn't, because the Calderón is a very nice stadium, 5-star, one of the best we have in Spain... like you say, it's a symbol. And La Peineta... "no es lo mismo".

I know the money they would get is very important but... maybe it's only good in the short term.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
I voted "NO"

Is the idea of the new stadium built around the idea of Madrid attempt to host the Olympics??

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
:cry:

What would happen to the Calderon? And don't say it gets knocked down! :frustrat:

If it could help restore Atletico to the status they deserve, I suppose it COULD work out well. But I have immense sympathy for the fans who don't want to lose their home. I know how I would feel in their place.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The question is simple... Atlético has a huge debt, they don't have a damn cent... it depends on what you want, a club among the big ones of Europe or what you have right now.

The only thing that makes me wonder about how good would be this operation is that the Gil family and Cerezo are still the owners and they're the ones that brought the team to this point.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
no no no !!!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

http://www.infiernorojiblanco.com/sec.avi

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>
All hell can't stop us now
</span>

http://www.jldominguez.org/salvemos.zip

A great video about the NO of the fans onto the question ...

Should we sell the calderon???

These people deserve my respect!!!

Husky

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
It's a tricky question IMO, if Atletico can maintain their status as competitive Primera-side without giving the Calderon to the bulldozers they should stay for traditions sake. But as soon as this is obviously no more possible the fans should face this question: Do we want a competitive Atletico in another stadium or a sold-out-leftovers-club with a stadium reflecting their former glory on half-filled tribunes?

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Husky... I'm sorry mate

http://www.as.com/articulo.html?d_date=20050314&xref=20050314dasdasftb_3&type=Tes&anchor=dasftb

As long as the economical newspaper, Cinco Dias, Atlético Madrid has sold the 10% of the property of the stadium Vicente Calderón to the savings bank Caja Madrid. With this operation, Caja Madrid has reserved an option over the 100% of the stocks of the real estate division of Atlético Madrid, created to drive the possible operation of the selling of the stadium.

The real state company has a social capital of 226,2M €, estimated value of the stadium and its lands. Caja Madrid is going to pay 11,3M € right now (50%) and the rest, the next season.

In case that Atlético doesn't sell the stadium, the guarantee given by the club are the TV rights which are 20M € per season, although these rights still are seized by the Tax Administration, because the club is still under investigation for tax fraud.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Well I know it is a difficult time, but I will translate the article into german for our webpage, too. (but I am to tired now)

And tomorrow I will tell you my opinion ... But I was not happy yesterday when I read it on my daily visit on AS.com.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts