Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Cd-wow was really cheap since they somehow ripped off the customs and tax for their records. You ordered records from Hong-Kong, but they were shipped from England. It was really strange, but for the customers really good. But since they were threatened by legal issues, the now have stopped that. And since they don't have a very good selection I don't see a reason to buy from them anymore.

Actually Amazon.com has a very good selection. They have almost everything.

Ebay has offcourse even more. Especially rare records can be found on ebay. The problem is that it's abit complicated with the payment and all that. You should really read alot of how it works before trying to buy stuff from there. But Paypal seems really effective and secure, so why not?

The problem with both these are that they both operate mostly in america, so the shipping and customs can be a pain. But since the dollar is really low at the moment (compared to most currencies at least) you can still actually make a profit from buying records overseas. :)

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks a lot. :)

I'll definitely give Amazon a try with the dollar this low and everything.

Yeah, the Hong Kong-scam was the best thing about CD-Wow. So much cheaper than paying in £ or € and no shipping fee either but they had to ruin it for us. :(

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
cd wow was great :(

play.com is still good ( especially for dvd's, its about the cheapest place with the biggest selection) but there is also legal action being taken against them so they might have to raise their prices eventually :(

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've struck gold!

It's still possible to buy cheap from CD Wow. Replace .com with .net and click on the Stars and Stripes. They operate in dollars and still no delivery fee.

Just ordered the new Franz Ferdinand for $12.95.

:happy:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Biancoceleste said:
I've struck gold!

It's still possible to buy cheap from CD Wow. Replace .com with .net and click on the Stars and Stripes. They operate in dollars and still no delivery fee.

Just ordered the new Franz Ferdinand for $12.95.

:happy:
You convinced me. The new Von Bondies and a Rough Trade collection on the way.
Not so surprisingly they didn't have the Pretty Girls Make Graves record. :groan:

I'm not convinced about Franz Ferdinand yet. I like what I've heard so far, especially if you judge by my reaction when they played Take Me Out when I was out this weekend. Darts of Pleasure and 40 ft are also really nice along with another couple of records. But I have a feeling I will grew tired of them very soon. I'll reserve judgement on them for the time beeing.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like Franz Ferdinand even if the British hype-maschine went a bit too far this time. Von Bondies on the other hand just don't do it for me. I know I'm 'supposed' to like them but I just can't get into it.

Enola, are you sure your records where shipped from England when you bought from CD Wow because everytime mine arrives the return adress is in Malmö? :confused:

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Biancoceleste said:
I really like Franz Ferdinand even if the British hype-maschine went a bit too far this time. Von Bondies on the other hand just don't do it for me. I know I'm 'supposed' to like them but I just can't get into it.

Enola, are you sure your records where shipped from England when you bought from CD Wow because everytime mine arrives the return adress is in Malmö? :confused:
To be honest I didn't check much from where the records are shipped or anything. I just ordered the records pretty spontaneus and didn't bother to check everything so careful. But I do know that CD-wow have a swedish version too, and if you saw the catalogue, there are very many purely swedish records, so I guess it's possble that the headquarter for northern Europe is in Malmö.

About Von Bondies, I'm just very weak for dirty rock with lots of edges. And the whole Detroit garage scene with bands such as the Paybacks, Detroit Cobras and Von Bondies are just something very great in my ears. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts