1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend alone, out of the seven EPL games I saw:

Chelsea - Newcastle
-Gudjonsen stole a ball (and missed) after a school kid mixup by the defenders
-Lampard was alone, in the penalty box to take the ball on his chest and score. Truely shocking in the most entertaining :rollani: league in the world
-Drogba easily pushed a defender away for his goal
-Robben's goal ... see drogba above.

Man U - Southhampton
-Rooney break. You expect third division defenders to let a kid just break away like that

Rovers - Spur
-Brown literaly walked from the center line to set up Keane who was left unmarked. Where we all the defenders

Arse - Bir City
- Henry literaly walked from the half way line to score

Porsmouth - Wes Brom
-Two own goals in a game :eekani:
-Taylor had a worst first touch and just gave the ball to Scimeca and for some reason the keeper was nowhere near the goals.
-Lualua was unmarked for his goal

Nor City - Fulham

Liverpool - Villa

Everton - Bolton

Call serie A slow and boring but you don't see such horrible mistakes.

Fortunately I had the pleasure of watching Barca later on that night. Four quality goals. No school yard errors. EPL has a long way to go.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
CMBurns said:
Arse - Bir City- Henry literaly walked from the half way line to score
Maybe blunt in a way but in the Serie A if he got as far as 10 strides he would have been either pulled down or hacked from behind.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
blah blah blah blah blah blah. Heard it all before.

CMBurns said:
Arse - Bir City
- Henry literaly walked from the half way line to score
Watch the goal again you lemon. He flicked the ball around Cunningham and sprinted about twenty five yards. But, of course, it's Kenny Cunningham's fault he wasn't born with Henry's blistering pace.

Really, this was a very poor effort.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Very poor, completely inaccurate observations.

There's been alot of quality entertainment from the EPL this weekend.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
The own goal in the Everton game was a cracker as well. The worst ones for me were when the strikers just shouldered the defenders away. Surely shoulder to shoulder challenges should be a basic part of defending.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
CMBurns said:
This weekend alone, out of the seven EPL games I saw:
Can you do a check on Bundesliga too.... they got a moutain of Goals.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Adriano10 said:
And the Bundesliga is far more defensive, safety-first minded than the Premiership could ever be.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adriano10 said:
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately :D) I don't have access to ze German league. Those observations are not something I made up from the internet or something. I watched those games.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Angle_eyes said:
The own goal in the Everton game was a cracker as well. The worst ones for me were when the strikers just shouldered the defenders away. Surely shoulder to shoulder challenges should be a basic part of defending.
I forgot that one. It killed me. Poor Jaidi. Good defender though
In the same game in the Everton free kick, a striker came rushing and pushed the whole wall away to let the ball pass. Horrible stuff.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
But Italian teams have conceeded nearly twice as many goals in UCL and UEFA cup this season, compared to the English sides. :rollani:

Fact is, you can look at every goal that is scored and pick up some fault in the defensive play. That goals are scored because of defensive errors in EPL - just as they are everywhere else - is hardly groundbreaking news.

·
Registered
46,428 Posts
mutu1875 said:
But Italian teams have conceeded nearly twice as many goals in UCL and UEFA cup this season, compared to the English sides. :rollani:
I don't talk about Premierleague cause I don't watch it.

About serie A clubs in the European competitions:

Juventus 0 goals conceded
Milan 3 goals conceded
Inter 3 goals conceded

Roma are the only club who really concede lots of goals: 13

The clubs playing in the UEFA Cup must not be considered cause everybody knows (or should know, if they pretend to talk about serie A) that they had their teams full of reserves since the UEFA Cup here in Italy is considered as important as the Italian Cup (that means: quite nothing).

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Ok, fine but I can change it to Spanish teams, who are also close to conceding twice as many goals in Europe as the English.

I'm just trying to disprove this myth that English teams can't defend.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
mutu1875 said:
Ok, fine but I can change it to Spanish teams, who are also close to conceding twice as many goals in Europe as the English.

I'm just trying to disprove this myth that English teams can't defend.
The problem with that is that it is misleading and deceptive a little. I mean, combined the four Spanish teams have conceded 24 goals, but it's not a real indicator of anything. Deportivo have conceded only four, but they're been apalling and haven't even scored a single goal.

I don't really think it's something you can base an argument on. :thmbup:

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
Well it does become a bit tougher when you have to try and muscle a powerhouse like Didier Drogba off the ball.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
It's really funny that half of the threads in the World forum end's in duscussions about Serie A Vs EPL Vs La Liga:):

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
EPL defenders suck,, it's a world known fact CMBurns :D

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
khimik said:
The problem with that is that it is misleading and deceptive a little. I mean, combined the four Spanish teams have conceded 24 goals, but it's not a real indicator of anything. Deportivo have conceded only four, but they're been apalling and haven't even scored a single goal.

I don't really think it's something you can base an argument on. :thmbup:
I was trying to back up the argument that EPL defenders aren't crap with some kind of fact, other than a debate along of the lines of "EPL can't defend" replied by "Yes they can".

But I don't see why it's not a real indicator of anything. That Depor have scored 4 and conceded 0 indicates they are reasonable defensively but lack goals doesn't it?

·
Registered
607 Posts
i dont know about the other games but the newcastle game had some poor defending but in there defence they were playing a 18 year old because of injurys and are in need of some new CB's, they never got around to replacing woodgate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts