Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you probably know, once again a professional football team is on the brink of disaster. After Vitesse, Utrecht, NAC and more we have Fortuna (again? :rolleyes: ). Tonight will be decided if a plan is accepted by the city council to give the club a boost to keep its head up. We have seen city councils pump a lot of money into teams over the last few years and not everybody is too happy with it.

Arguments are that professional football clubs should not receive money because not every inhabitant is interested in football, while the city pays it with the money of all the inhabitants. Also, one says that other sports should receive financial aid as well.

Arguments in favour are for instance the fact that a club attracts people to the city and it is good for the city. Just think of how much football supporters spend in a town every other week.

What do you think should happen with Fortuna now, but also in other cases? In the case of Fortuna it is not only about money though, but also about the fact that there was a 'bestemmingsplan' to make the area around the stadium a business area with stores et al. but that does not seem likely to happen because the local 'middenstand' has complained against this. So Fortuna wants this to go through because this would improve their financial situation, and until that time they want a loan from the city to help them instantly.

Long story I know, but where do you stand?

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think this is a perfect example of mismanagement. The City council should not block the plans around the stadium because of a few whiners in Sittard and Geleen. On the other hand, how does a small shite team like Fortuna get a debt of 20 million?

I think this shows perfectly how stupid and ignorant the Limburg football fans were in their rejection of FC Limburg. We are talking about a region here that does not have the attraction, nor the inhabitants of the Randstad region, but that has 4 professional football teams. MVV was already close to death, Fortuna is now and VVV is just a minnow. The only team that is solid is Roda, although they seem to be lacking too over the last few years, because they have been overtaken both in results and/or potential by Heerenveen, Utrecht and maybe AZ and Twente.

How can you expect 4 professional teams to be profitable in such a small region? It's impossible. They will have a hard time surviving, and if they survive they will stay minnows. The potential of FC Limburg is immense, but only a few people in Limburg seem to understand that. If one solid team was to be formed in Limburg, it would be right behind the top-three.

I am not one of those people who are against City councils pumping money into professional football, but this seems like a Bottomless Pit to me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
All the teams that have been or are still in trouble have in common that they had a new stadium or at least some rebuilding. So that's why a team like AZ now has decided to take it easy in the beginning with the amount of seats and don't rush any things, although they can still easily recover from a debt with Scheringa as chairman.

Fortuna has become a grey mouse the last couple of years, so I wouldn't be bothered that much at the moment if they would disappear completely now. You have to draw a line some day.

·
Registered
59,141 Posts
I' haven't really followed the story but I say enough is enough. It's also rediculous how so many clubs are subsidized by or need help from a city council almost every season like Vitesse. In fact Feyenoord might as well spend like crazy since there always will be the council which will be willing to put taxpayers money into professional football instead of the more needier sectors :rolleyes:

Anyways for starters how on earth could Fortuna make such a debt?! it's not like they ever had stars playing there and they've also always had a good academy they could rely on to make profits. Mindboggling.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
It's the stadium Wally!! Now they have been deducted 3 points due to their financial mess, but that doesn't make any difference in a league where you can't relegate and where Fortuna doesn't have a chance either to get promoted and for the purpose they still the periods.

A few years ago I know they set up a plan where you can take shares in the young players, so when they were sold you could get something of the profit. Only that didn't work out, cause lately there haven't been any players sold. Two of the talents they did have both left for free to Utrecht.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts