Xtratime Community banner

Who is the better player?

• Total voters
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Are these two even all that comparable? They play so differently. Even when Totti plays highest up in the team, he doesn't play anything like Shevchenko. The players were expected different things. I would understand more if it was the usual Del Piero vs Totti thread.

Well Shave did actualy won a Ballon d'Or ina year that was Henry's for the taking imo. So basically he was close to Henry level too.
He wasn't close, and he shouldn't have won.

In 2003/2004:
Henry League goals: 30 in 37 (0.81 GPG)
Sheva League goals: 24 in 32 (0.75 GPG)

* Henry also made 11 assts that season

Henry UCL goals: 5 in 10 (0.5 GPG)
Sheva UCL goals: 5 in 10 (0.5 GPG)

Henry total goals: 39 in 51 (0.76 GPG)
Sheva total goals: 29 in 45 (0.64 GPG)

That's right, Henry scored more goals in the league than Sheva scored in all comps. I'm almost 100% certain Henry made more assists as well.

Both teams won their league, but Henry's team went UNBEATEN. Both teams got knocked out of the UCL 1/4 final. Sheva didn't go to EURO 2004. Henry did.

In the first half of the 04-05 season, Shevachenko scored 11 league goals. Henry scored 16 league goals in the same period.

For all this, TH14 wasn't even top 3 in the Ballon D'or list. The award was a joke.

This is why no one should use these awards as the main tools for judging players, even on the most basic level. Future fans will unfortunately do so, and think Owen 2001 was some ridiculous striker, when he wasn't anything special. They'll think Cannavaro reached heights other defenders didn't, just because he won the award.

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
Well Shave did actualy won a Ballon d'Or ina year that was Henry's for the taking imo. So basically he was close to Henry level too.
Henry and Totti were on the same level with Henry being a bit better due to performing better in the big games.

Sheva was a level below them.

Were they both better than lets say , Xavi and Iniesta(or one of them)? It's hard to say so when you look at their trophy cabinet.
I'd put Henry, Totti, Xavi, and Iniesta on the same level. At their best, Xavi and Iniesta also were top-5 players in the world.

·
Registered
16,828 Posts
Are these two even all that comparable? They play so differently. Even when Totti plays highest up in the team, he doesn't play anything like Shevchenko. The players were expected different things. I would understand more if it was the usual Del Piero vs Totti thread.

He wasn't close, and he shouldn't have won.

In 2003/2004:
Henry League goals: 30 in 37 (0.81 GPG)
Sheva League goals: 24 in 32 (0.75 GPG)

* Henry also made 11 assts that season

Henry UCL goals: 5 in 10 (0.5 GPG)
Sheva UCL goals: 5 in 10 (0.5 GPG)

Henry total goals: 39 in 51 (0.76 GPG)
Sheva total goals: 29 in 45 (0.64 GPG)

That's right, Henry scored more goals in the league than Sheva scored in all comps. I'm almost 100% certain Henry made more assists as well.

Both teams won their league, but Henry's team went UNBEATEN. Both teams got knocked out of the UCL 1/4 final. Sheva didn't go to EURO 2004. Henry did.

In the first half of the 04-05 season, Shevachenko scored 11 league goals. Henry scored 16 league goals in the same period.

For all this, TH14 wasn't even top 3 in the Ballon D'or list. The award was a joke.

This is why no one should use these awards as the main tools for judging players, even on the most basic level. Future fans will unfortunately do so, and think Owen 2001 was some ridiculous striker, when he wasn't anything special. They'll think Cannavaro reached heights other defenders didn't, just because he won the award.
nice attempt but you are comparing close stats of players in two different leagues. seems like there are too many variables you are not considering in your simplistic analysis

·
Registered
162 Posts
nice attempt but you are comparing close stats of players in two different leagues. seems like there are too many variables you are not considering in your simplistic analysis
And the voters didn't? I'd love to know their reasoning.

What's the argument FOR Sheva then?

·
Professional Pirate
7,086 Posts
Who revolutionized football and brought back the false 9 ;)

The art of passing features Totti. It's weird because Totti makes other players better.

Sheva was a monster though but for me, for obvious reasons, Totti. Always.

Enjoy his last year guys.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
totti's a piece of shit.

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
The latest gaffe from Totti:

"I dream of a league where there's no more than two foreigners per team. No one in Roma speaks Italian anymore, not even massage staff."

It's funny because he himself doesn't speak Italian.

·
Registered
33,545 Posts
Henry and Totti were on the same level with Henry being a bit better due to performing better in the big games.

Sheva was a level below them.

I'd put Henry, Totti, Xavi, and Iniesta on the same level. At their best, Xavi and Iniesta also were top-5 players in the world.
No fcukin way would I put bloody Totti on the same level as Xavi and Iniesta.

·
Registered
43,220 Posts

·
D10S
2,124 Posts
Totti speaks Italian and hap-hazard English
Shevchenko speaks Ukranian, Russian (growing up in USSR!), English (married to an American and playing in England) and Italian.

So that's 1.5 Totti; 4 Shevchenko...
Clearly Shevchenko is a better man...

===
Jokes aside, Totti is like Matt Le Tissier with more trophies/achievements. Shevchenko is like Michael Owen with slightly less injury proneness.
Le Tissier clearly more talented than Owen.
But unless you're a Southampton fan, Owen easily trumps Le Tissier, loyalty aside.

·
D10S
2,124 Posts
The latest gaffe from Totti:

"I dream of a league where there's no more than two foreigners per team. No one in Roma speaks Italian anymore, not even massage staff."

It's funny because he himself doesn't speak Italian.
This is basically pre-Bosman European leagues.
Only the best of the best could play abroad. Sub-par foreigners would have no spot in the team.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts