Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andriy Shevchenko has been compared to the Milan Great Marco Van Basten when he joined Milan. Now that many seasons have gone by and we have seen enough of Sheva, is it about time we make a comparsion and a good judgement of who is the better Milan striker? And like who was the better finisher, and who has the better heading ability? I would like to know everyone opinion, especially those who have seen Van Basten in his peak in the late 80's and early 90's.

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
In my books - uncomparable!

One is a true Legend, who unfortunately got lots of injuries and finished his career early. The other is Milan's most lethal weapon, record breaker and a captain in waiting, which is an honour not given to non-italians for at least 3 + decades.

·
Registered
23,873 Posts
Van Basten was a better player overall and clearly a better header of the ball. Sheva will most likely give more for the club due to his longer career in Milan. It is hard to compare them as they both are fabolous players that contributed so much.

·
Scudetto
23,364 Posts
I dont think any Milan fan would want to choose between the two ;)

Personally, its Sheva because I've never seen MvB play :(

·
Registered
24,061 Posts
Andriy Van Basten :D

I hope that answers your question ;)

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
TO me, both players are essentially flawless forwards. Perhaps MVB is better in the air, but Sheva is also outstanding with his head. Sheva, imo, covers more area and is faster...while Marco was more of a box area forward, but both are/were excellent dribblers, could pass and help with buildup and were/are clinical finishers. I recall Marco being incredibly proficient with his chances. However, I also think of Sheva as a player who will put away the one chance he has to win a match. Maybe Marco held the ball better while Sheva turns and is off and running.

I think maybe you can point out style differences, but as far as skill and technique go, they are perfect players.

Marco, due to injury robbing him of years to his career and also being part of a near mythical period in Milan history gets teh nod for most rossoneri (and I can't argue with that) but Sheva is close to, if not just as good as Marco was.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Definitely MVB. There are no comparison. MVB perform at the highest level while Sheva choked on several occasion at the highest level.

·
Scudetto
23,364 Posts
oh my god?

when in the world has Sheva choked??!

Sheva has scored in almost EVERY important game he's played in.

If ur talking about the missed penalty in Istanbul, dude, the best players in the world miss penalties..

Im not saying Sheva is better than MvB, but ur comment is just dead wrong.

·
Registered
23,873 Posts
Zacxaviqer said:
Definitely MVB. There are no comparison. MVB perform at the highest level while Sheva choked on several occasion at the highest level.
While I think that Van Basten was more skilled, especially on a technical viewpoint I can't for heavens name see why Sheva could be claimed a choker. Van Basten also didn't only have good days.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Johan said:
While I think that Van Basten was more skilled, especially on a technical viewpoint I can't for heavens name see why Sheva could be claimed a choker. Van Basten also didn't only have good days.

Agreed. Sheva is anything but a choker. Sure, he missed that PK against Liverpool, but so did others. If not for Sheva then we wouldn't have won anything the last 4 years. And yeah, even Marco botched a few balls every now and then.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Paul said it best.... we are so lucky :cool:

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Yes and when you consider the gap between Marco and Sheva was paved by George Weah, Milan has had a monster at center forward for some 18 years. ANd no, I am NOT counting Beirhoff on that road. More a speed bump. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,710 Posts
When it's about players of that calibre, the differences are more of taste, and obviously the numerical part plays it's role - Sheva will have an edge on that last one.

As it has been said, they're both perfect strikers. Basically the kind of attacker that would feet any formation, with style differences with Marco beeing clearly more spectacular in a Ronaldinho way (being able to decide the games out of the blue with a bycicle kick) and Sheva with a more dynamic approach, just does the scoring somehow, sometimes in beautiful ways, but not really concerned about aestethics.

My personal choice would be van Basten anyway, he was the kind of player that would make a game worth beeing watched by his sole presence. That is unvaluable for a team and even for the game.
Sheva, I think, will be a legend of his own kind, his scoring and his attitude inside the pitch grant him that status already.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts