Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sven-Göran Eriksson admitted today that Alan Shearer might make a comeback in Englands NT and be a man for the WC, Shearer on the other hands hasnt sad this is impossible.
It's now up to Shearer it seems...
If he wants to comeback he will be given a chance...

Shearer has been suberb this season and I dont doubt he could still make a good work for the NT...

What do you think about it???
Would you like to see Shearer back in the NT? Yes/No-Why?

·
International
9,526 Posts
Surely not. He's too slow. He is a strong forward, but I am hoping that with the amount of games that will hopefully be on offer at Leeds, that Robbie Fowler will come more into contention, along with Owen, Phillips, etc etc

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I would like to see him in the squad. Maybey not a starter but as a reserve and mayby get in a game or 2. His experience would do the team well...

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
we aint going to win it so what's the point of bringing back that old bastard :D
Stick the kids in and see if they sink or swim ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Alan has hinted at it but he has lately said he wont and its time to give the young lads a chance and he is done playing for england.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
well, i don't think he should make a comeback in the NT...he is slow...i think he better just stays and concentrates on EPL...england NT's future is owen...

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Yes hes slow but hes experienced, he'd strengthen the team because experience is the only thing England really lack in at the moment.

I'm hoping England will win a major tournament by 2006 ( maybe runners up in 2004?)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why not? Shearer's way better than the likes of Heskey, Smith, Fowler, Philips, Cole.... anyway the guy is only 31...he is not a pensioner yet and will carry one playing for a few more yrs yet.

Even Gazza would love to play, and he is 34...

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Matthew Smith said:
He may score goals but hes as slow as ****e. i think hes always been an overated player he always scores easy goals or penaltys not many of his goals are brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some times the easiest goals are the most important...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I used to post on the worldsoccerboard as Pedro. Recognize some of your handles here, hi FredElliott. Conversation seems much more balanced here.

About Shearer, I would like to see him play, always makes a contribution and he strikes me as a good sportsman and all that. You know, best of England stuff...

On the other hand, it IS a good point being made about giving the younger men a chance. I'm curious to see if England really has been improving on the way to the WC, or if it's all talk. IMO, far too much has been made of the victory over Germany. I support Portugal, but would like to see England do well.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tinto said:
I used to post on the worldsoccerboard as Pedro. Recognize some of your handles here, hi FredElliott. Conversation seems much more balanced here.
Yeah, that's our goal...Here we're argue, not fight :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Alan Shearer has been the best striker in England for the last ten years.

If he had signed for ManU they would have won the league every season and they would have won the CL at least once more. He is a striker that rarely misses a chance when it comes his way- unlike AC and DY.

He has lost that bit of pace that gave him an extra yard before. That knee injury really affected his speed. I think that he is feeling a wee bit sore at the English press/public turning on him after he didn't recover 100% after the injury.

IMO I think he should still be number 1 alongside Owen as he didn't particularly rely on pace anyway. He would be ideal alongside Owen. His strength and intelligent movement would create plenty of space for the boy wonder to exploit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts