Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Arguably the best English player at the moment. He's playing as if he never went on that mistimed adventure to the oligarch's.

So where does Capello play him?

Who comes out of the squad to make space for him?

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
He's in his old City form and his link work with Robinho is fantastic. If he can do that with someone like Joe Cole or Ashley Young then he could do well.

That said international football is rarely played at the same pace as City have played at these past few weeks, so its quite possible he'd be nullified an England shirt.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I doubt Capello would use Wright-Phillips as anything other than an attacking right-sided midfield player.

In line ...
1 - Theo Walcott
2 - David Beckham
3 - Steven Gerrard
4 - Shaun Wright-Phillips
5 - David Bentley

Why do I reckon Steven Gerrard is ahead of Wright-Phillips on the right-side? Simply because with the last performance Capello has to go with Barry-Lampard midfield partnership. So Gerrard's going to get dropped or be picked on the right IMO. And I think Capello would pick Gerrard over Wright-Phillips.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I think Beckham will drop out of the equation, sadly (for him). He'll be on the bench/in the squad to make up the numbers and get his last caps, but that's it.

Realistically it is Walcott, Gerrard, SWeeP at this point. Beckham and Bentley some way behind, with Aaron Lennon a distant memory.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Wright-Phillips? Forget him, right now the player that needs to be playing in the England team is Ashley Young. How he doesn't at least find himself in the squad at least is beyond me. He is the biggest reason why Villa are dangerous at the moment because he is dangerous from so many situations. I remember a few people questioning his price tag but he has more than justified it.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Yesterday he was pretty poor.

He's still good enough for the squad but he has to go aways before he can be thought of as a starter. If he's consistant this season, then yeah, awesome. We should probably put him in instead of Walcott.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Young, like Joe Cole, is a right footer playing on the left. As that's the position we are short on, leave him there.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Wright-Phillips? Forget him, right now the player that needs to be playing in the England team is Ashley Young. How he doesn't at least find himself in the squad at least is beyond me. He is the biggest reason why Villa are dangerous at the moment because he is dangerous from so many situations. I remember a few people questioning his price tag but he has more than justified it.
Agreed. He's been outstanding for nearly a year now...

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Shaun Wright-Phillips has been decent this season but is far from a starting role for England. Possibly one of the quickest and fittest players in the England squad, and causes problems with his ability to turn and change direction so quickly, but wouldn't influence games if he started. SHould be an impact sub.

Young on the other hand is a brilliant winger, although he is better suited to the left. Imagine the problems him and Joe Cole would cause interchanging positions. One cutting in, one staying wide. Ashley Young is technically very strong and capable of doing what wingers are suppose to, get to the byline and whip balls in. Also could give us a decent set piece taker when Beckham isn't on.

Theo Walcott was brilliant against Croatia but he is young, and blows a lot of hot and cold. For this reason he shouldn't start, still like Phillips could be an impact sub who would bring on pure pace and someone who will run at players.

I think that Dave Beckham should have a future with the squad as he does bring something that other countries don't possess and he is a good influence in the changing rooms. His right foot is the best in the world and is always good for 20 minutes whipping in balls. You saw the change he made against Croatia. He also has a real fighting spirt and I see him as a big influence on the younger squad members.

Lennon shouldn't be involved. very similar to Walcott in that he comes on and brings pace, and a little skill but has not final ball whatsoever.

Bentley could be included if he gets back into form as he is a versatile performer. Very good technically and a true right footed player, the problem is that we have other options like him.

·
Registered
41,681 Posts
And I think he'll play too. I agree with the first post, he's one of the in-form English players. Along with Rio and I guess now Rooney. Very exciting player who should never have gone to Chelski in the first place. I suppose his bank account isn't complaining though. The only thing I do wonder is, if he's walked into a similar situation at Man City, come January when they start throwing their wallets about.

·
A true hero
31,411 Posts
He's been more than decent. He's been the second best English player in the premiership this season, behind only Lampard, who's been the best player in the premiership full stop.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
He could still be so much better, though, that's the thing. Maybe it's his super positive way of playing (always taking people on etc) but he does lose the ball a lot. But then, there are lots of occasions where he beats his man.

I'm undecided on him in terms of him being an England starter, basically.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
He could still be so much better, though, that's the thing. Maybe it's his super positive way of playing (always taking people on etc) but he does lose the ball a lot. But then, there are lots of occasions where he beats his man.

I'm undecided on him in terms of him being an England starter, basically.
Agree his final ball isn't brilliant and he is often indecisive as seen against Liverpool but he gets through with his pure pace.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts