Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disgraceful !!

Croatia was a team devoid of any ideas, we had nothing tonight, not one spark in 90 minutes.

Mexico's coach, their players and the worlds media was right, we are a bad team.

Boksic was awful, I feel that I could have marked him. Suker has no place at the WC, Prosinecki was also dismal. We had no technique, no tactics (we played like Scotland) and no flair, not to mention heart. Our defense performed well, but that's it.

This is a shameful day for Crioatian football. If we play like this, we will never see another finals either Euro or World. The only team worse so far was Saudi Arabia, and not by much. :( :depress: :depress: :depress:

A u picku materinu...sramota :depress:

·
©
7,230 Posts
I think our forum team would have put up a better display!!:D :tongue:

I mean with the master tactician on the bench.......oh yeah and the players aswell.:D

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
damn..with this kind of play,we can go home..:(:fero: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
33 Posts
And after the performance of the Italian NT...the way through the second stage will be hard:(

Today Croatia really sucked, Rapaic wasn t bad and I hope he'll start against Italy...we need the victory but I'am not sure about our victory.

L

·
0 Posts
come on people!
croatia is a good team and will go through, i'm sure you can beat italy and you will do it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
In 1998 we lived a dream...today, we are living a nightmare.

On the positive side, i don't think we can play any worse than today...or at least I hope we cannot.

Is our tournament over? we'll see on Saturday...but until then
"YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE!" should be our motto.

some changes against Italy:

Pletikosa

kovac simic simunic jarni

kovac vugi stanic rapa

boka balaban

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
What a disgrace

Suker and Prosinecki I don't think even broke a sweat out there. And all I remember Boksic doing was crashing heads with a mexican defender. He was hopeless and I expected him to do great things this game. He is physically so much stonger then the Mexicans and they completely rendered him hopeless.

Di you see how easily the Mexican forwars like Blanco ran into space and got possession deep in our end??? I did not see Suker or Boksic even touch the ball. And who the phuck was marking them that they couldn't run into space?

If they couldn't get open against some no name Mexican defenders, how can they even fathom touching the ball against the Itlaians???

As for the penalty...the game was gong along fine and then out of nowwhere an innocent looking back flip springs Blanco and that's all she wrote...What the hell were the defence doing on that damn play!!!!!
:confused: :confused:

I took a whole week off work for our Vatreni's run, but now the WC is finished for us.:depress:

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pletikosa- Preformed well, stopped one good shot and a header, too unsure in dealing with long balls, let 2 land about 3 meters from the goal.

Kovac- Our best defender today, never made a mistake and made some impressive interventions

Simunic- Played well in defense, had a great chance saved at the end but inexperience is painfully evident in his play

Zivkovic- Thought he was Maradona on the right when he got dispossesed, earned a dumb red card and gave them the winning penalty. All in all was solid in defense.

Jarni- Played for 10 minutes, where was he the other 80?

Tomas- Gave his all, but it's not good enough on this stage, He played like a seljak with the ball

Soldo- Had a good chance to score twice, too bad he missed, played well defensively but that should be the least of his job, couldn't string together 2 passes all game

N. Kovac- our best player, received no help, even though, all Mexico could do was foul him, and they did every time

Prosinecki- bad day for him, bad crosses, no passes and little else.

Boksic- was pushed off the ball several times by players 30 kilos lighter, and couldn't win a header against players 30cm shorter, he won one and earned himself a concussion. Played miserably, poor touch, no chances and overall bad performance.

Suker- aaah, Mr. "I'll score two", invisible today, bad trapping and worse passes, never looked dangerous.

SUBS-

Saric- played well, why the hell did he come on in the forst place?

Stanic- tried to create, was helpless though, he gave his all I feel.

Rapaic- another contender for our best player, did well on the left, lifted our game, but with nobody to latch on to his crosses, really ineffective. Nice freekick that went a foot wide.

Mirko Jozic- bad bad decisions. First of all, our tactics of Scottish style football(loft it high and clean up the pieces) was awful. We never played that way. His substitution of a defender (Saric) for a striker (Boksic) while one-nil down defies logic and good sense, leaving Stanic up front by his lonesome. His half time talk changed little, and again we came out with the high balls and no attacking ideas.

Things have to change, Croatia embarrased herself today, this was dismal performance. We looked the more dangerous team when we attacked, we had 11 corners compared to 3, we had more shots even with the 40 odd percent possesion, but the red card dug us in and it was too late to make drammatic changes.

Nemogu vjerovati, sramota prijatelji, poludio bih veceras od muke, sramote i tuge. Sjecanja na nase nekad slavne vatrene su me polomila. Nema meni pomoci veceras, da mi je samo sjesti i popiti koju ljutu sa par prijatelja sa ovog foruma. :(

·
Registered
983 Posts
Ero said:
Disgraceful !!

Croatia was a team devoid of any ideas, we had nothing tonight, not one spark in 90 minutes.

Mexico's coach, their players and the worlds media was right, we are a bad team.

Boksic was awful, I feel that I could have marked him. Suker has no place at the WC, Prosinecki was also dismal. We had no technique, no tactics (we played like Scotland) and no flair, not to mention heart. Our defense performed well, but that's it.

This is a shameful day for Crioatian football. If we play like this, we will never see another finals either Euro or World. The only team worse so far was Saudi Arabia, and not by much. :( :depress: :depress: :depress:

A u picku materinu...sramota :depress:
Well said.. the performance today was indeed that.. a disgrace. Personally i dont blame the strikers to much its hard without the right service.. for me it was all about the tactics.

Playing an 8 man defense against an average side like Mexico is beyond me.. we should of crammed the midifled which would have given them little space.. WTF went on today.. i still to this moment cannot comprehend the tactical game we played.. actually i find it disturbing :dazed:

Deep down i knew Mexico were gonna be tough.. but in the end we were our own worst enemy.. to not create a genuine chance is astounding.

I still cant come to terms with Jozic's extreme obsession with defence.. i knew he was obsessed but today was taking it to a new level :groan:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bili...I think you are right this is for me the best formation. Anyway Jozic needs to put young blood and hopefully we'll beat Italy (they played very well today).

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we can hope, but well probably lose by a goal or two.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
As I see it......we have no midfield, no creative players who can calm the situation, serve up front with nice passes. We must hold on to the ball, and not "rocket" it up every time. 4 years ago we had to many exellent players in midfield(boban, asanovic, prosinecki), now we have no one. (prosinecki can´t handle the pace any more).:(

So don´t be so critical to our offensive players....with no right balls it´s tough to make constructive moves when you almost never get the ball. We must have Boksic playing next game,
:eek: with his "target"-play abilities combined with Balabans "in box" qualities will make better mix. If that doesn´t work, throw in Vlaovic and Suker later on......Oh, and one more thing......we must play with 2 attackers the whole game. We back down far to deep, with midfield ending up just in front of the defenders, and to far distance to the attackers.

In midfield, we need tough wingplayers like Stanic and Rapaic from start, who can win "second - balls" and run in both directions, and make good runs on each side.

Who will support our attackers with smooth deep balls is the toughest question. I have no good answer on that one:eek: :( maybe we should give Prosinecki another chance against Italy, I don´t know what his problem was, humidity, temperature, bad preparations.....anyhow he runned like my grandmother.....:tongue: :( :(

Our defence did a acceptable effort. Even though Zivkovic could have made an different approach on Blanco. Pletikosa did his job!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
you know what really killed us today....IT WAS THOSE PHUCKING BLUE SHORTS!!!!Why play with Blue shorts?

i agree with what Oluja said abou cramming the mid. We had so many defenders on today that there was no way we were ever gonna be able to string a couple of passes together. we'd get it, pass one and then pump it long. i cant believe that we could play like that. A positive is that they cant play any worse. Also, if they want to do well they have to bet stronger opposition.....there's no better way than on Saturday against the Italians.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree with stacking the mid-field with more offensive-minded players, like in this 3-6-1 formation:

-------------------------Pletikosa--------------------------

-----------Simic--------R. Kovac--------Simunic----------

--Tomas(Vranjes)----N. Kovac----------------Jarni (Seric)---

-------------Stanic------Vugrinec--------Rapajic----------

------------------------Boksic (Olic)----------------------

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Sramota....

I woke up at 2:30 am to watch this. These guys couldn't put more than 5 passes together, played as individuals and not as a team, ther was no creativity.

I have said the Mexicans are a tough team when the groups were announced. I still think we had enough to beat them , but as I said, these guys have advanced to the next round in every world cup they were in since 86. I give them credit...they played hard, they created, and they took the game to us like they said they would.

As for the players....if you look at the replay, Zivkovic could have played that ball before playing the man. He had an angle on it and rather than slide into it, he went at the player. Also, how many runs does this guy make?? He makes his run, and then doesn't come back, making us vulnerable to the counter attack.

Tomas...he looked lost out there as did Simunic.

Robbie...was he on the field??? He looked like he just woke up.

Jarni, played well, but I still think he's better at the back rather than the midfield.

Soldo, same thing though he played OK. He went up, tried to get a few crosses with his head, and had a chance to score. I think though that he is better playing central defender rather than a midfield defender.

Suker and Boksic....well 4 years to late. Wish they could have played together 4 years ago. They are not in form at all. If they broke a sweat it was because of standing in th sun.

Rapaic...when he came in, he was ok. He is fine on dead ball situations, but he is just terrible when it comes to crossing the ball on the run. Plus, does this guy ever pass the ball??? I know he didn't have much support out there, but he could have played better.

The Kovac brothers played well...not great but they held their own.

Stanic looked like he gained 20 pounds since the last cup. As dad said, "Jedva se vuce." But, I think he is better off starting than coming off the bench. He just never looked comfortable out there.

I was hoping that Balaban or Olic or even Vlaovic was going to get a chance to play up front but I guess Jozic had other plans.

Jozic, every time that damn camera was on him, he was complaining about something to his assistant, and all that assistant did was lean forward with his hand on his mouth. If that is the type of game plan Jozic is going to make, well, it's a good thing he is quitting as NT coach after the Cup.

All in all, this looked like a team in transition. There is too much of a gap between young and old. Plus, I have to give the guy at ESPN credit...during qualifying we used something to the effect of 80 different players. In other words, we never had a true set lineup where we could build a team cohesiveness and it showed this morning.

I don't know what to say....I congradulate Mexico on a well played game. They came to play and we did not.

·
Registered
983 Posts
JureM said:
Sramota....

Robbie...was he on the field??? He looked like he just woke up.
I dont know WTF is up with this guy.. i saw him play quite afew games for Portsmouth and he ran like a dog.. when it comes to play for croatia he moves slower than my grandmother.. and his corners r so bad u gotta laugh.

When u really think about it Robbie is not a big game player.. he did nothing in Euro96.. nothing in WC 98.. and now looks like nothing in 2002.

I would give him 30 minutes.. if he moves like a starved malnurished peasant again send him home on the first flight.. if u dont come to play f*ck off.. simple as that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Actually i didn´t expect anything from Croatia, this is how bad we are. Saudiarabia, Croatia and Mexico must be the worst teams of this wc.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Before the game i had this vision that we'd see a great performance by Croatia...
Suker being in the right place at the right time....
Boka doing some runs i nthe box like a train, just stampeding the mexican defence down...
Prosinecki doing some extravagant dribbling....

But no.........we had nothing.,,,,,,,absolutely nothing to offer...we might aswell have lost 8-0 like the saudis....:dazed: :depress: :mad: :( :depress: :depress:

·
Registered
641 Posts
What a joke. I think all of the blame should be on Jozic for playing a defensive line up and not instilling the confidence in these players like Ciro. Mexico looked like the hungrier team and were rewarded accordingly.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts