9. Running/Jogging (100+ days/year) 3,368,000
10. Freshwater Fishing (15+ days/year) 3,106,000
11. Stretching (100+ days/year) 3,031,000
12. Touch Football (25+ days/year) 2,901,000
13. Slow-Pitch Softball (25+ days/year) 2,785,000
14. Court Volleyball (25+ days/year) 2,730,000
15. Skateboarding (52+ days/year) 2,440,000
SGMA Launches Baseball/Softball Participation Initiative
NORTH PALM BEACH, FLORIDA – September 19, 2001 – It's time to put baseball (and softball) – America's pastime – on the comeback trail. That's the battle cry of the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA).
With baseball and softball participation experiencing a steady decline since 1993, SGMA's Baseball and Softball Council has formed a special committee comprised of ten baseball/softball equipment manufacturers aimed at supporting the growth of participation in the two sports. These companies have made financial contributions to develop participation opportunities. Jess Heald (Worth, Inc.) will chair the committee, while Mike Zlaket (Easton Sports) and Jim Hackett (Wilson Sporting Goods Company) will serve on the executive committee.
"Baseball and softball have been extremely popular national sports requiring little or no marketing to attract players. In fact, until 1993, the primary challenge was finding enough playing fields to accommodate the demand," said Heald. "This all changed, beginning in 1993, and participation in both baseball and softball has decreased since that year. The one major exception is girls fast pitch softball, which has enjoyed several years of strong growth. Our committee's focus will be to challenge all baseball/softball associations along with all equipment suppliers to join together in a concerted industry-wide effort to reverse these trends."
U.S. Team Sports: Current Status and Future Trends
NORTH PALM BEACH, FLORIDA — July 31, 2001 — Team sports are as much a part of Americana as Mom and apple pie. The numbers speak for themselves. In 2000, 36 million American children (aged 6 - 17) played at least one team sport. Of those 36 million, 26 million (or 54% of all U.S. youngsters aged 6 - 17) played on an organized team. Those are just a few of the results of a recent study by the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA) which are reported in U. S. Trends in Team Sports (2001 edition).
Listed below are other relevant details affecting the future of team sports in America:
 Basketball remains America’s most popular team sport and participation is up for the NCAA, AAU, and high schools, but the total number of players has dropped since 1997.
 While the total soccer-playing population has remained steady since 1997, the number of frequent players (52 or more days a year) has risen since ‘97, as has the number of average days played.
 Collage Soccer programs have increased since 1997, the number of programs went from 467 to 557
 American Football programs at the NCAA, AAU has dropped by over 10 %
 Despite the fact the total number of baseball players has fallen to 10.9 million, high school play is up by eight percent in the last decade

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since this report in 2001 Soccer has become the # 1 youth team sport in US and Basketball 2nd. Wilson who made strong efforts to breathe new life into baseball and Basketball have failed, and now have launched major investments in soccer products.

With this new change in policy, telivision and media which has been controled by advertisers bias to the sport have started to cave. Yet Major networks will have a hard time catching up with the cable networks who have taken a strong position in the marketing of soccer in the US.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Well this is good news. Networks must start taking steps to show more soccer on television, and that starts with ESPN2 showing more Champions League matches. Only one match per week is absolutely ridiculous, especially since they have the rights to show as many as they want. Next season they need to show more matches to compete with the likes of Fox Soccer, and broadcast more on ESPN and possibly ABC.

Oh, and I loved reading about the downfall of Baseball. If there's one sport I would love to fvck over it's that one because it's fvcking worthless. I also hope the Nationals go bankrupt.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too would love to see Baseball fall.
In fact MLB has seen the writting on the wall. There Demigraphics today show that there main audience is in the 41 and above age bracket. In an attempt to spark intrest in the youth they have tried to align themselves with Hollywood in promotions with Spiderman 2 movie and they were rejected. As they didn't want to be associated with a sport that is overjuices and has an image problem. :D
It has to be bad when your rejected on an image basis by Hollywood :eekani:
There was an article in the Washing Times that stated Baseball Americas Past Time has Past its Time. If I can dig it up again Ill post it its a funny article.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Thats what I like to hear. Once the older generation dies off, so will that worthless sport called baseball.

Baseball needs to go down in order for soccer to become big here in the US. I would love to experiance a summer without that shite sport. :D

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
More than the game on TV, I want to see the game on the sports news. That makes a big difference. Not everyone catches the games, but most everyone catch the sports news.

About the CL, Andy, I want ESPN to lose their rights and for FSC or Gol TV to get them. They are in the last year of the contacts and if ESPN gets them agian, I won't be happy even if they show two games a week. A channel loke FSC would show 6 games a week they way ESPN Deportes does.

Baseball has a great threat called steroids but in our generation and our children's generations it will always be popular.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought GOL TV had the rights to CL. Yet I see ESPN losing the rights to it as well as the US nat'l team to Fox. Its allready started as FSC has picked up the games ESPN refused to televise.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
No Gol TV does not show Champions League matches.

Barca I like the idea about Gol TV or FSC picking up Champions League matches. If they would have the rights they could show multiple matches on each Matchday. However I have not heard anything about ESPN losing the rights to the CL, and if they do they'll probably renew them anyway. I just hope whoever has them shows more matches.

ESPN is just a bunch of assholes anyway.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
FCW is showing International qualifying games. :thumbsup: Today I saw Sweden v Bulgaria

Wed.....Spain V ??? and Engalnd V &*&(*((! :proud:

·
21,026 Posts
I don't think there has been talk about ESPN losing the rights yet. I am not sure also that they will lose them. All I know is that this is the last year of teh CL contract and it will be for grabs next year. I am sure that UEFA wil put it up for bids and that FSC and Gol TV will make a big run for it. If ESPN gets it again, I would like to see UEFA demading that more games be televised in the USA. Lets hope for it.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree But If ESPN that would be more of Tommy Smith who can go to blazes before I watch another game done by him.

·
21,026 Posts
When the Chelsea vs Bacelona game was 3-0 he said something like "I had predicted a 4-0 trashing of Barcelona" then when the socre was 3-2 he said something lke "I knew that Barcelona would show up to play, it couldn't be that easy for Chelsea"

:finger:

The kid that does the play by play for the NT games is no prize either:rollani:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
barça said:
When the Chelsea vs Bacelona game was 3-0 he said something like "I had predicted a 4-0 trashing of Barcelona" then when the socre was 3-2 he said something lke "I knew that Barcelona would show up to play, it couldn't be that easy for Chelsea"

:finger:

The kid that does the play by play for the NT games is no prize either:rollani:
Oh God I friggen hate Tommy Smith. He's one of the worst commentators I have ever heard in any sport. He tries to act like he knows what he's talking about but sometimes it really doesn't work.

On top of that he seems to be a Manure fan, English football lover, and a Real Madrid fan all while being a commentator. :rolleyes:

He's a joke.

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
With the addition of ESPN Deportes (still haven't anyone who has that channel) it is extremely likely that ESPN will renew their Champions League television rights. That's been their hook from the begining and you can be sure that they'll stick to it.

Gol TV owns the rights to so many leagues that I doubt they have any money left to put up a decent offer on the table for the Champions League.

Fox on the other hand is just dandy with its obscure soccer showing options along with their bread and butter, the tape-delay.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Its a shame that Baseball and Footy cannot coexist togheter in the US..I arrived in the US many moons ago to find that our beloved Football was NOTHING more than a distant and louzy sport played away from America and when played in America it was nothinn more than a pastime for foreigners that couldnt speak english...
I learned baseball and to this day I enjoy the sport...not on TV but by goinn to the stadium...I cant wait for Miami (That is if Im still here 5 yrs from now) to build a Stadium for the Marlins, that beiin the case Im a candidate for season tickets without a doubt...
I dont disparage Baseball and certainly NOT SOCCER..But from the looks of those posting here...both Sports TOGETHER dont mix in the States..Oil and Vinegar... :(

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think its mainly due to the fact that we are fighting for the same schedule time. Spring through Fall. Also when you talk to most American Baseball supporters they would knock Footie as a Boring sport, not much action and not enough goals. Yet to us footie fans we cant see that argument holding water when you can watch a Baseball game for 3 hours and the score is 1-0 and to them thats not boring. :rollani: Go figure.
At the Youth level we fight for the same kids to play, and that creates more annomosity.
I remember living in Miami when there was No NBA, NHL, or MLB and all they had was the Fourt Lauderdale strikers, and even after the NASL folded they were one of the few cities that still followed that team in the ASL.
so it was sad to see them lose the MLS team.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
I personally know someone who was involved a whole lot with the Miami Fusion Organization..The one wrong move they did was to place the team in Ft Lauderdale..Granted the OB became a problem for K Horowtiz and then Mayor Carollo...BUT the team should have stayed in Miami...The owner should have done Xactly what he did @ Lockhart ..... in Miami @ The FIU Grounds..Had he done that (On my acquaintance's strong advice)...The Miami Fusion would still be playing today.

;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts