Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read something yesterday about playoff finals being the last game of the season at Hampden. When did this happen and what play offs are these?

This one must have passed me by.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
It's a bit complicated. From memory I think it goes like this:

1st placed team in the second division are promoted to the first and the bottom team in the first division are relegated.

2nd placed team in the second division plays the 4th placed team in the second division.

3rd placed team in the second division plays the 2nd bottom in the first division.

The winners of these 2 games play each other in a final to determine who gets relegated and who gets promoted.

:googly:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
kind of weird but should add a bit of excitement to what would potentially have been meaningless end of season games if it was only 1 up and 1 down

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
It's a bit complicated. From memory I think it goes like this:

1st placed team in the second division are promoted to the first and the bottom team in the first division are relegated.

2nd placed team in the second division plays the 4th placed team in the second division.

3rd placed team in the second division plays the 2nd bottom in the first division.

The winners of these 2 games play each other in a final to determine who gets relegated and who gets promoted.

:googly:
EH! so do QOS get a playoff then?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for explaining that Angle. :thumbsup:

I'm surprised they haven't made people more aware of it.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Angle_eyes said:

These games are also played over two legs.

·
Registered
368 Posts
really? played over two legs? even the Final?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for the info. :thumbsup:

That's even better- I thought it would just be a final for both leagues. That will hopefully give these club a wee bit extra money and the chance to run out at Hampden.

On another point. Has anyone heard that UEFA want all the leagues in Europe to consist of 16 teams? Regardless of how this would effect any other nation I really hope it happens here. When you look at the likes of Livi and Dunfermline then I don't think there is much of a gulf between them and St Mirren, Ross County and St Johnstone. The last two sides to come up from the first division have also proved they can compete at SPL level too.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Hampden?

I doubt this will be the venue.

The lower first and upper second (or lower second and upper third) are teams who struggle to get 1000 folk to their home games with the exception of Morton and Partick, theres no way imo that they will give them Hampden. They will give them a stadium they are likely to fill. Something small like Ibrox or New Broomfield, Love Street or Firhill, or maybe one of the smaller SPL teams stadiums in west central Scotland.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
Cheers for the info. :thumbsup:

That's even better- I thought it would just be a final for both leagues. That will hopefully give these club a wee bit extra money and the chance to run out at Hampden.

On another point. Has anyone heard that UEFA want all the leagues in Europe to consist of 16 teams? Regardless of how this would effect any other nation I really hope it happens here. When you look at the likes of Livi and Dunfermline then I don't think there is much of a gulf between them and St Mirren, Ross County and St Johnstone. The last two sides to come up from the first division have also proved they can compete at SPL level too.
When you look at QOS home gates averaging at 1200, when we have been pish for years, give us some hope of playing the big boys?

In the old first division a trip to palmerston was dreaded, i would go for an 18 top league and stop the monotony of playing each other 4 times

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GERS said:
When you look at QOS home gates averaging at 1200, when we have been pish for years, give us some hope of playing the big boys?

In the old first division a trip to palmerston was dreaded, i would go for an 18 top league and stop the monotony of playing each other 4 times
What really surprised me about Brooks Mileston was that he put his money into Gretna. If I had his money and was looking for a club with potentional then QOS is the one. Obviously they are still pulling in the punters in Dumfries but if they were in the SPL then they there are alot of fans from surrounding areas they could pull in.

When you look at how many league teams are in the South of Scotland, non-league excluded, compared to the central belt then you can see the potential for growth.

As you say Palmerston was a feared ground and I think it still is. Even if an SPL side had to go there in the cup I doubt they would fancy it much.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
What really surprised me about Brooks Mileston was that he put his money into Gretna. If I had his money and was looking for a club with potentional then QOS is the one. Obviously they are still pulling in the punters in Dumfries but if they were in the SPL then they there are alot of fans from surrounding areas they could pull in.

When you look at how many league teams are in the South of Scotland, non-league excluded, compared to the central belt then you can see the potential for growth.

As you say Palmerston was a feared ground and I think it still is. Even if an SPL side had to go there in the cup I doubt they would fancy it much.
Its true, i take the long drive down the M74 about 3 or 4 times a year and the crowds a consistently the same. Went down to the Airdre game at the begining of the season where Airdrie brought about 500, the atmposphere was great. I was asked by my Airdrie supporting mate how they can have a crowd so big! Well its cause there is he haw else to do down their on a Saturday!

Also your in Rangers country as well 4 or 5 full buses go to Ibrox regularly!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I actually have a sneaky feeling now that the games will be Hampden, only because I got Morton promoted from the second on Football Manager and the final was at Hampden :tongue:

I've emailed the SFL for further clarification.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Well I've just been told by the SFL that the finals will be held on a home and away basis as well :googly:

I'm surprised at that but she let me see the format of it.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I remember the UEFA Cup final used to be like that. I guess it alleviates the problem of having to worry about what size of venue to book for it.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm surprised by that too. I read in the papers that the final game of this season at Hampden would be the playoff final- it didn't mention which one. It just said that it would be played after the Scottish Cup final. So that is very strange to hear that.

Like Angle I remember the UEFA Cup games. I watched "the team that was" on Friday where the arabs contested their two legged affair against Gothenborg. I'm not a fan of two legged finals though nor am I a fan off playoffs either.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I hate two legged finals as well, but it does make a nice addition to the end of season climax in Scotland. Ironically it may also save my wee team, Stranraer from going straight back down to the second, looking like a tough playoff at the moment with Morton, Partick and Peterhead also going to be involved it seems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts