Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The quality of our set pieces - corner kicks and free kicks - this season has been atrocious. It's upsetting to watch us rack up six, eight corner kicks a match and not come even close to scoring on one! Furthermore, we seem to have less players to step up and take them now that Chivu has been injured and D'Ago gone.
Totti is the obvious choice to take the kicks, and he's pretty good, but this this season, he's really sort of dropped off a bit, and it's hurting us. I think we've scored only a handful of goals on set pieces.
Set Pieces are a good opportunity to get a goal. I don't think we've maximized our chances this season on them. I don't know what the problem or the solution is, but I'm a firm believer in getting as much as you can from corner and free kicks. Hope we can do better and get a few set piece takers back. Seeing Panucci take one when Totti was out vs. Palermo in the closing mins. of the match was heart breaking.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
When I first saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of the defensive set pieces. I usually say that it's unforgiveable to concede goals on set pieces. Still, more than 50% of the goals come out of it. I think we're disgraceful at defensive set pieces. There's no determination whatsoever, and it always ends in commotion. Isn't there a way we can dominate more? We have Dellas, who is about 198 cm and, when not suspended, Mexes who also is kind of tall. Apart from those two, we completely lack aerial power. I guess we can't dominate. Still, you come a long way with tight marking and most importantly, keeping the opponent as far away from the goal as possible. I think we're especially crappy at the latter..

But to the original subject here. As already mentioned, we don't have much aerial possibilities. Dellas is tall, but he's not dangerous offensively. I'm tempted to say none of our defenders are. But on the offensive set pieces, we should be able to move better. The timing often looks sporadic and I honestly believe that it is. I hope we don't practice on set pieces and still are that random. However, we came pretty close after 5 minutes against Juventus. Only unlucky to not see that go in. We need to do that a lot more IMO. Attack from the depth and cross it towards the keeper in hope of a deflection.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Had Assuncao stayed he would of won us a couple more games on his freekicks alone this season...another masterstroke by Capello :rollani:

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
I'm not so much bothered by the direct free kicks - once Chivu returns we have a lethal choice for the freekicks on the right as well. What is absolutely frustating is seeing corners and crosses from free kicks being wasted over and over. You have to give it to Capello on that one, he sure knew how to make those tick for the team. Last year we were truly immense on set pieces, showing up new stuff every other week, stuff I haven't seen in italian football before. Delneri seems to be completely incompetent in that area though, as it is hardly a lack of aerial power that lets us down - Dellas, Ferrari, Mexès, Panucci(!), and De Rossi are all very good at that aspect of the game. It's purely a matter of organization and tactics that fails us, yet again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts