Xtratime Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,303 Posts
Although I agree that England should have done much better in Euro-2000, even with the current set of players, the truth is they were riding the train on a derailed track. Every single link in a chain that's called England had obvious weaknesses.
What they had in goals? "A piece of meat with eyes and mustashes". I think nobody can put it better than that. Every time there is a shot on goals he ducks. The entire back 4 as well as Ince and Wise were embarrasingly uncomfortable with the ball. That's 6 out of 10 field players who can not control the ball, pass, shoot, create a space, even make a clean tackle.
You had Paul Scholes as a playmaker who spent most of the time up front and not exactly "making play" for his teammates, simply because he is not that type of player, he is uncomfortable playing deep enough to read the game. Beckham and Owen are the only players who did fine, nobody could do better playing in such a crappy team.
And Shearer "answered his critics"!!! Unfortunately for England forwards need to be able to do much more than just to score from a penalty spot or to score from a pin-point cross when there are no defenders in vicinity.
Even though it was 8 sh]tdags on the field + Beckham, Owen and Scholes, KK still managed to find reason not to play McManaman who was fit to play Romania. He's excused if the reason was that he decided not to play such a great player in such sh*tty team. I would not be lying too much if I say that England2000 was the worst ever team that ever played in a major tournament. And the scoreline against Germany flatters only to deceive. Even Germany were a better team. If they would have a Beckham to provide crosses for Janker they would have stuffed you like 5:0.
If I sound like I'm anti-English, trust me I'm not. I think England were the best team in Euro'96 and I think they should have won Italia'90. But this time...
Untill you keep building your team around Ince, Wise or Batty instead of players like Gazza or Macca, I honestly can not see where a success would come from. Also, every time I watch England their defenders look like they are afraid of somebody. Why they panic so much? Why they are afraid even of the players nobody heard of? The entire episode when the second goal was conceded against Romania was a classic! You would not see that type of goal even in College soccer in US.
But the FA saw the light at the end of tunnel... WILKINSON!!! What can I say, CONGRATULATIONS! And good bye for 10 years or so . The world cups will miss you.

· Registered
3,303 Posts
Perhaps you right about Janker, but my point was that even as poor a team as the Germans were, they still passed the ball better than England. And without Beckham crosses I don't think England would've scored more than Germans did.

What do you think prevents England from putting on shows like the one Holland did against Yugoslavia?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.