Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You didn't think England would actually be a force? Come on, they are rubbish. Macca is great because he plays abroad. But every other player plays in England and that is the problem. The premier league standards are patheic compared to Spain and Italy. That's why Italy, Spain, Holland and Germany are all through because most of their players play in the two leagues. The quality of players as well is very poor. Shearer is crap, Owen hyped up to much, Beckham does a cross and gets called a champion. Macca is the only one who really knows how to play. Your defence would have to be one of the worst. 6 goals in three games is shocking. Come on, get over your selves, England and it's football is overated and it has a bad standard of skill and professionalism. It's simple, this Euro has proved it.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Germany through :confused:
....most of their players play in the two leagues :confused:
Man, it shouldn't be allowed to use Germany as an example. I mean, it's such disgrace.

Which Germans play in the two leagues??? Bierhoff??? So, why use the plural????????????????

Germans in Spain oooohhhh, !que Dios nos ayude!

[Edited by hala on 23-06-2000 at 09:55]

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I disagree Cug, England are a good side, they just didn't peform in this championship.
If you look at their performance against Brazil before the tournament, you will know what they are capable of.
2 years ago in France, England were unlucky to go out to Argentina, and 4 years ago in Euro96 they demolished the Dutch 4-1, and again unluckily lost on penalties to the Germans in the semi-final.
You might say I'm living in the past, but I believe that the current squad is good enough to make a semi-final place(with the exception of the Nevilles!), they just didn't peform.

B

·
0 Posts
I agree with Razor also! England does have a good players but don't play well as a team! The English side is better than what they showed in Euro 2000! I think they need a new tactic that long ball stuff will get you goals here and there but not on a consistent level! Maybe a new coach is in order! Look at the portuguese for years we've had the same players that play all over europe but never had any success on a international level! I think sooner or later if you keep the same nucleas of players playing together for a few years they finally get on the same page! I don't know if that's englands problem but it was with Portugal and it was frustrating to watch! Because you know the players you got and their skills but they always suck ass! Maybe this year will be the year for Portugal!

Portugal Rocks!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Although I agree that England should have done much better in Euro-2000, even with the current set of players, the truth is they were riding the train on a derailed track. Every single link in a chain that's called England had obvious weaknesses.
What they had in goals? "A piece of meat with eyes and mustashes". I think nobody can put it better than that. Every time there is a shot on goals he ducks. The entire back 4 as well as Ince and Wise were embarrasingly uncomfortable with the ball. That's 6 out of 10 field players who can not control the ball, pass, shoot, create a space, even make a clean tackle.
You had Paul Scholes as a playmaker who spent most of the time up front and not exactly "making play" for his teammates, simply because he is not that type of player, he is uncomfortable playing deep enough to read the game. Beckham and Owen are the only players who did fine, nobody could do better playing in such a crappy team.
And Shearer "answered his critics"!!! Unfortunately for England forwards need to be able to do much more than just to score from a penalty spot or to score from a pin-point cross when there are no defenders in vicinity.
Even though it was 8 sh]tdags on the field + Beckham, Owen and Scholes, KK still managed to find reason not to play McManaman who was fit to play Romania. He's excused if the reason was that he decided not to play such a great player in such sh*tty team. I would not be lying too much if I say that England2000 was the worst ever team that ever played in a major tournament. And the scoreline against Germany flatters only to deceive. Even Germany were a better team. If they would have a Beckham to provide crosses for Janker they would have stuffed you like 5:0.
If I sound like I'm anti-English, trust me I'm not. I think England were the best team in Euro'96 and I think they should have won Italia'90. But this time...
Untill you keep building your team around Ince, Wise or Batty instead of players like Gazza or Macca, I honestly can not see where a success would come from. Also, every time I watch England their defenders look like they are afraid of somebody. Why they panic so much? Why they are afraid even of the players nobody heard of? The entire episode when the second goal was conceded against Romania was a classic! You would not see that type of goal even in College soccer in US.
But the FA saw the light at the end of tunnel... WILKINSON!!! What can I say, CONGRATULATIONS! And good bye for 10 years or so . The world cups will miss you.

D

·
0 Posts
Just to comment on a Beckham type player to Jancker. JAcnker was total crap, if a Beckham type player crossed to Bierhoff, yeah, a few goals will go in, but Jancker was just crap and crap against England and Portugal. He reminded me of Freddie Bobic during Euro 96, he was hopeless back then too.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Perhaps you right about Janker, but my point was that even as poor a team as the Germans were, they still passed the ball better than England. And without Beckham crosses I don't think England would've scored more than Germans did.

What do you think prevents England from putting on shows like the one Holland did against Yugoslavia?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I personally think that with Terry Venables as the Manager, England would
have been threatening to demolish a side or two. As pointed out in an
earlier post, a team not unlike the one put out against Portugal demolished
Holland 4-1 back in '96.
For me the problem is that Kevin Keegan has not yet learned how to influence
a game tactically, hopefully he will learn from his mistakes at Euro2000, or
we will in fact struggle to qualify for the next world cup.
Incidentilly the last time I saw England play as badly as they did in this
tournament, they also failed to qualify for World Cup 94. The similarities
between Euro92 and 2000 are alarming to me as an England fan. I do however
think Keegan will learn, and hopefully we will see the real England in the
qualifiers.

Personally I think the only players from the England side to come out of the
tournament with some credit are Owen, Beckham, Scholes and Gerrard. A fit
Jamie Redknapp would have been able to pass the ball around and hold onto
the ball, which was essentially Englands key problem during the
championships.
Your point on the back four is valid, and I wouldn't have Gary or Phil
Neville any where near my England squad, Kieron Dyer and Gareth Barry
respectively would be the replacements in my team.
Adams, Keown, Ince and Wise should step aside for the likes of Ferdinand,
Southgate, Gerrard and Joe Cole.
Keegan's next step is possibly the most critical for the England side, for
me, he should be bold enough to throw in the young hungry and skillful
players (Gerrard, Dyer, Barry, Bowyer and Joe Cole etc) that he has at his
disposal.
The old guard should step aside now for Englands good, and to ensure that
they are remembered for the great times, and not the failure that was
Euro2000!

Your point about Howard Wilkinson is also a very interesting one, why did
they give him the U21 side? Who not keep with Taylor who had built the team,
and had obviously got the tactical knowledge to make England compete with
any countries U21 squad. A lack of foresight by the FA if you ask me!
Wilkinson likes long ball tactics, you only have to look at his Leeds side
that won the English title! This is not taking England forward, it's taking
them backwards!

R

·
0 Posts
Keegan has no idea of tactics.
He thinks if his team sings the National Anthem really loud then they will play well.
He cannot watch a game and make tactical changes during the play.
His tactics were to take Owen off and put Heskey on with 20 minutes to go.
These tactics were obviously decided before the competition started, as he stuck to them rigidly.
The biggest disappointment for England was Shearer's last tournament.
We expect Beckham to dive in every game ( and we weren't let down ), but to see Shearer reduced to diving instead of scoring in these games was the worst thing about the England performance.
England have done better in the past because they have been seeded in everything.
What will happen when they slip down the rankings and cease to be seeded and have to play against good teams in the first round ?

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Technicalities

There is only one solution to your problems and its technical ability.

You have nne. Not trying to be offencive but it really annoys me the way you English never ever ever see your faults.

You need technique andnot one of your players have any of it except Macca Scholes and Beckham.

players like Owen are way too old to be still playing on raw talent. The man is already 21 that is ridiculous to be still playing the same way he was at 18.

You need technique and until you lose it you7 will continue to play this type of freddy flintstone football.

D

·
0 Posts
When England beat the Dutch 4-1 at Euro 96, they were good, not great. The Dutch had just lost their most influential midfielder Davids, and they team was in jeopardy. There was no good relationship, and players such as Hoekstra, Jordi Cruyff, Seedorf, Winter, De Kock, probably played the worst match of their careers that day.
England then faced a Spanish, team, not half as talented as the one at Euro 2000, still with the old Salinas up-front and no Raul, and still managed to score twice against England, unfortunately wronfully dis-allowed for off-side.

B

·
0 Posts
CUG,

In future before you come to this forum spouting your troll posting crap, perhaps you would like to substantiate your assumptions, with arguments, even, vaguly based on fact and logic.

"The premier league standards are
patheic compared to Spain and Italy. That's why Italy, Spain, Holland and Germany are all through because
most of their players play in the two leagues."

Excuse me, germany through, since when, besides as hala pointed out they have few players that feature in the 'great' leagues. Perhaps you should try reading through an idiots guide to euro2000.

I also find your inclusion of holland as slighty odd given that their first team and indeed their squad features more players from the 'crappy' premiership then seria a.

Your argument is also disingenuous, since you have presumably choosen to surruptitiously omit, more obvious candidates for supremacy, such as the french, the world champions, from your list of the great and the good. I presume this has little, or indeed nothing to do with the fact that 6 of the french first team play in the 'crappy' premiership....Surely this is an argument for the english league being greater, no?

So basically your argument seems to boil down to the fact that lots of italian players play in italy and lots of spanish players play in spain....my what an insightful it you must be........

[Edited by RazorUK on 04-07-2000 at 07:05]

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
wats with keegan
rijkard quit as national coach because his team didnt win euro2000, he thought that he didnt do a good job in leading holland
and also coelho of portugal quit because he thought he didnt do a good job either, taking them to the semi finals beaten by the world cup winners by a penalty in extra time
keegan's team played maybe the worst football in the tournament, and was proud of a lucky 1-0 win over GERMANY
keegan should keep his pride and resign from the post
he said that england had a chance to win the whole tournament
and to save face he should quit
not keep on disgracing england with poor football

B

·
0 Posts
The reason why keegan won't quite, is the same reason why ingerland failed so dismaly, he's as thick as sh*t.

Appealing to his pride won't work either, he lost that in the seventies when he appeared on it's a knockout.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts