Xtratime Community banner

Serie B: 21/22 Season

6K views 225 replies 9 participants last post by  Indra 
#1 ·
So not long until the new season starts - another campaign in Serie B.

I fear it's going to be a struggle given how we crashed out to Lecce in the Coppa Italia at the weekend. We are still awful defensively and don't seem to have the right players in those roles. Mentally we are pretty weak too.

#39 ·
I cling to the insanity that is a thread of hope but in reality I'm just astounded at how poor this team is performing, almost like they don't understand how much of a fight Serie B is. Sure the squad is young but this is just rubbish, they've all been playing football for long enough to understand what they need to do. Afraid this is a sign of having gone too far to youth with a lack of experience on the pitch?

#41 ·
Yeah me too, it's astounding given the players we have 'on paper'. We have loads of Football Manager style signings whose 'stats' just don't correspond to reality.

I think its inexperience, lots of foreign players and an overall weak management that isn't able to coach them to deal with the pressures of Serie B. I genuinely fear we are looking at a relegation dogfight at this rate.

#40 ·
Now Man's agent is talking about something maybe happening during winter (transfer window). Given the "talent" has been playing pretty badly not sure we'll get many sensible offers, and I hope that we'll stick to the guns of asking for REAL money for any purchase.

Apparently "this isn't what he wants" and "Serie B requires a different approach to Serie A".

For a player that has potential but hasn't delivered that much till now, pretty arrogant IMO.

#45 ·
And if we fired Maresca, who would be an option?

Cannavaro? Gattuso?
God help us isn't Liverani still on the books or did he get a new job???

#46 ·
Well blow me down I didn't even realise we'd played last night..... Maybe for the best given what's been happening.

We actually won a game of football.... 2-1, and it was away to Cittadella, though it sounds like we have a certain Buffon to thank for saving yet another penalty.

Given the "compressed" nature of the league at the moment that moves us up only slightly but a lot nearer the mid/top teams - though we played early so the others can stretch away once more depending on results.

Interesting to note that Man didn't play (or even come on as a sub) - didn't think he was injured, but given recent comments from his agent maybe something is being managed with him.

Oh well - let's see if this is the start of something or just another false dawn....

#47 ·
Next game tonight against Vicenza (who are actually below us), yet another "must win" scenario, a win would likely put us on the edge of the promotion battle (play-off not top two), and we can't expect Pisa to keep throwing points to keep us just close enough to hope. Sounds like the same team as the Cittadella game, which means no starting spots for our Romanian starlets... I think there's a message there for all of the players, the ones who play have to earn their spot, suspect too many think they're owed a spot in the squad.

So it's, yet another, "make or break" game to demonstrate that we're either improving or just as unpredictable as ever and staying mid-table this year.

#48 ·
Oh. wow..
I was a member of this forum since 2002.
How things have changed since then.. Really strange.
I see almost everyone from back then abandoned this Parma forum..
It seems like no one cares about the club anymore since the club changed the name, the badge and the kits 😢

#49 ·
Well I had to check but 2002 is when I joined this, had been using a mailing list (showing my age) in the years before that, but that faded away....

We haven't all gone away - but life changes and changes things for you sometimes, and it's generally easier to support a winning team I think, and you get more media attention in Serie A than Serie B.

I can say I won't give up on Parma, but I'm not able to do what I did all those years ago (and jump on a flight to go to Italy for a week-end and catch a game), and not just because of some insane political ideology (at which point I MUST stop on THAT topic).

Fair to say we lost a lot of our support from the Orient after Dino Baggio left, the ladies seemed to REALLY like him!!! :D

#50 ·
Two in a row.... 1-0 win, but with Brunetta getting sent off in the first half it was not straightforward. So suddenly we're 10th, Pisa still lead and are 6 points ahead, which goes to show just how compact the league is still. A couple of points more and you're fighting for the championship, a couple of points less and you're looking over your shoulder at the relegation fight.

Goal by Benedyczak (again), sounds like a bit of a goal from nothing, while we were already down to ten.

The team needs to show a run of form, two games is not that, before they can be really considered a possible challenger, but it only counts on the last day.... Don't care if we never get into the top two until the final game so long as we're there then.

#51 ·
So talk that Galatassary want to sign Man - but only offering €6/7million where Parma with a "rich" owner, are holding out for €11.

Got to say I'm pretty disappointed with this situation, more so with Man, as he now seems to be a bit mercenary.... Wanting to move at the first sign of a challenge, has the talent but does he have the mentality to succeed?

Also makes me wonder if we'll see him on the pitch in the next weeks.... since the poor performance and comments from his agent he's not played, not even as a sub.

#52 ·
Just tuned into the Lecce game, we are already 3-0 down before half time. Absolute shit yet again. Just when I think we've turned a corner, it turns out we haven't. Really embarrassing. We just can't defend from the flanks and give away too many penalties.

I can't see promotion being realistic at this point - I think we'll be low mid table by the end of season.

#54 ·
We are losing 4-0 now and it is not even half time. Massimo Coda again.

This club is being driven into the ground but consistently bad management, player recruitment and tactical decisions.

Our two most expensive players are not even starting.

#58 ·
I'm not sure I get the reason of giving the job to a coach without experience like Maresca. Serie B is the typical championship which is won by the coaches who had already won it before. Sampdoria got promoted twice, in 2003 and 2012, thanks to Novellino and Iachini, who had already gained promotions before. Novellino nowadays is no more what he used to be, but Iachini is free.

#59 ·
That was a big slap in the face, given the couple of wins (admittedly suffered) recently, clearly there's something lacking in the attitude of the players on the pitch as we know that the quality is there (or maybe it isn't and that's just a delusion).

I can't see Maresca being chopped, yet, it would be relegation territory in the New Year I suspect before anything would be changed, if anything perhaps one or two more experienced players will come in to provide that maturity that perhaps we lack.

As ever I never get to see any of our games so only based on reading the commentary it "felt" like we tried for a while, but being sucker punched on a counter attack for the fourth shows failings on the pitch, if that's Mareca's instructions or players not following them it's not clear. I think it needs to be like the story I heard about JuveMerda recently - all the players received a text message saying Allegri is in charge, so do what's expected or else...

Losing was not entirely unexpected, the manner of that loss unacceptable, starting to look like I'm hoping to make the play-offs which would be a nightmare at the end of a poor season for the money spent.

#60 ·
Well back to playing Serie B and back to under performing. 1-1 with Cosenza, having taken the lead it sounds like we then got scared or something and could well have actually lost at home were it not for the oldest player on the pitch. A long and poor season this is turning out to be, all hope smothered in the mediocrity of the on pitch performances.

#62 ·
Apparently he's won promotion from Serie B to Serie A with four different teams before, and talk of him having some more budget for players.....

That last part makes me think he'll find some experience war horse type players who bring more fight to the squad.

I'm disappointed that Maresca didn't manage to do better, I had hopes that he'd be another good manager in time, and possibly he will be. Again I refer to a certain Stefano Pioli who managed us some years back, currently managing AC Milan.... Parma need to stop being the testing ground for managers who are too inexperienced.

#63 ·
It looks like the management of Parma read my post or, more easily, they simply realized that a veteran with a few promotions from serie B to serie A in his curriculum vitae is probably a better option than the random guy who worked with Guardiola. And yes, it is also probable that a few players with the same curriculum vitae will join Parma in January.

#64 ·
Sunday evening away to Como we'll see the first impact of Iachini. Sounds like he's cracking the whip right now, double training sessions to get the team to adapt to his game plan.
Also talk of some of the older players being brought back into the squad - not sure if they're currently on the squad list for Serie B or this is something that needs to wait till the January window.

If we don't see some "fire" in the squad to fight for a result already then we'll be lucky to stay mid-table by end of the season.

#65 ·
The impact won't be necessarily positive at the beginning. I remember that Iachini lost the first game (or the first two games, I should check) when he replaced the previous coach at Sampdoria, but the team slowly gained the confidence it lacked, qualified to the promotion playoffs (the last spot!) and gained the promotion to serie A.

#66 ·
An evening kick off away to Como, there are a few injuries, so looks like we're starting with 3-4-1-2.

PARMA (3-4-1-2): Buffon; Osorio, Danilo, Cobbaut; Delprato, Schiattarella, Brunetta, Juric; Vazquez; Tutino, Inglese.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.