Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So not long until the new season starts - another campaign in Serie B.

I fear it's going to be a struggle given how we crashed out to Lecce in the Coppa Italia at the weekend. We are still awful defensively and don't seem to have the right players in those roles. Mentally we are pretty weak too.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Yes, seems to be a theme to some of the comments out there, players that still don't know how to fight when they're down.... Am (foolishly) clinging to the hope that after a slow start things will click and we'll turn it around over the course of a season but given the mentality if we start slow we may stay low....

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The Lecce game was depressing. New season, new players, new manager, same old team.

Early days of course, but yeah…

The midfield was nowhere. The attack was sterile (with the exception of a few runs by Man). I’m not sure if defense was crap because they were crap or because they had zero cover from the rest of the squad. Worst case scenario answer is ”both”.

Well… here goes nothing.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The Lecce game was depressing. New season, new players, new manager, same old team.

Early days of course, but yeah…

The midfield was nowhere. The attack was sterile (with the exception of a few runs by Man). I’m not sure if defense was crap because they were crap or because they had zero cover from the rest of the squad. Worst case scenario answer is ”both”.

Well… here goes nothing.
Yeah tonight 20:30 we kick off against Frosinone, the most interesting point for me at the moment is that their manager Grosso and Buffon are World Cup Winning teammates from 2006. I fear that will be the highlight of the game for me as well.....

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
2-2. At least we fought, but still can't maintain a lead, or defend set pieces or crosses.
Half monitored the game, not surprised at 1-0, pleases to see some fight to get to 1-1, a bit concerned that Tutino went off injured. Surprised at 2-1, laughed at 2-2, especially as it was in the 89th....

A draw was the most I was going for for an opening game... Better than expected given Lecce performance now let's see which direction this group is going to take....

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It wasn't as bad as feared, but given the amount of money spent on this team a draw with Frosinone isn't great. We need better more quality in defence and midfield.

Also is Inglese injured AGAIN?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the squad for the Benevento game - Gagliolo, Brugman and S. Iacoponi all not summoned. It does seem we are trying to get rid of pretty much everyone from the D'Aversa-Faggiano era.

Goalkeepers : Buffon, Colombi.
Defenders : Busi, Cobbaut, Dierckx, Osorio, Valenti, Zagaritis.
Midfielders : Camara, Juric, Schiattarella, Sohm, Vazquez.
Forwards : Benedyczak, Brunetta, Correia, D. Iacoponi, Inglese, Man, Mihaila, Tutino.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the squad for the Benevento game - Gagliolo, Brugman and S. Iacoponi all not summoned. It does seem we are trying to get rid of pretty much everyone from the D'Aversa-Faggiano era.

Goalkeepers : Buffon, Colombi.
Defenders : Busi, Cobbaut, Dierckx, Osorio, Valenti, Zagaritis.
Midfielders : Camara, Juric, Schiattarella, Sohm, Vazquez.
Forwards : Benedyczak, Brunetta, Correia, D. Iacoponi, Inglese, Man, Mihaila, Tutino.
We won 1-0, goal from Mihaila in the last moments of the game.

We are improving for sure.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Sounded like a very open - attacking - game, at points Buffon made important saves to keep us in it, and then the sucker punch, from us for a change, to score in the 97th!

In other good news, with both Inglese and Mihaila coming on as subs we're starting to get all of our attackers back, still a bit of concern around the defensive capabilities of the team but winning was more important, with a number of teams on six points from six we need to be with them in the coming weeks to avoid getting sucked into mid-table battles.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Beyond expectation as a result - good to have another clean sheet and puts us up near the top. Great to see Bobby get on the score sheet and Bunetta (?) got the entire bench to come and celebrate his goal (which shows they're all behind him).

Not getting carried away, it's one game and there will be harder games to come for sure....

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Unbeaten in three, two game winning streak, scored four in one game, kept a clean sheet, Inglese on the scoresheet.

What a confusing state of optimism I find myself in.

And of course it's early days, but it's been a while since simple things were actually simple for us.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts