Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Diego Godín / Stefan de Vrij / Milan Škriniar

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
I strongly doubt that Juventus will play with three center backs and that is a plus for Juventus because Bonucci is the worst pure defender in the poll. Are the three defenders of Inter suited to a 3-man defense? Skriniar should be the left center back, who is going to be the right one between Godin and De Vrij? I bet that there will be surprises and we will hardly see those three together.

I choose Chiellini + De Ligt (without Bonucci).

·
Registered
17,495 Posts
I have to say, i know De Ligt will steal the headlines, but i really like Napoli's and Inter's CBs.

I actually think that with how much Chiellini has become injury prone and with Bonucci dropping off so much, we have the third best defense after Napoli and Inter, even if De Ligt is the most exciting individual player.

A lot will depend on how much Rugani can improve under Sarri, but i'm not that optimistic.

I also don't know why we weren't in for de Vrij, one of the best defenders in the league is a free agent, and we just let Inter sign him without much of a tussle.

Instead we spend 26m on Romero and 18m on Demiral, both decent players but still very raw and unproven.

36m for a seasoned international like Manolas was another missed opportunity.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Godin will need to improve from last season, he was pretty shit.

Looks past it tbh.
I don't think he is past it yet, but I agree his form dipped last season probably due to the mental aspect as he knew this was his last with Atletico... he was very emotional in his last press conference... but he is younger than Chiellini and only 1 year older than Bonucci....

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also don't know why we weren't in for de Vrij, one of the best defenders in the league is a free agent, and we just let Inter sign him without much of a tussle.

Instead we spend 26m on Romero and 18m on Demiral, both decent players but still very raw and unproven.

36m for a seasoned international like Manolas was another missed opportunity.
I remember we were linked with De Vrij, but he was asking for a huge salary despite coming off two seasons with big injury concerns (he missed almost the entire 2015-16 season and broke his metatarsal the season after that)... Inter took the risk as they badly needed a defender in the starting lineup and it seems to be working well for them as his injuries didn't flare up again....

The outlay on Romero and Demiral are clearly an investment for the future, not for the now... Bonucci and Chiellini won't stay forever.... the figure for Romero is inflated, so as the deal was for Sturaro.....

I also wanted us to sign Manolas but clearly that budget was saved for the de Ligt transfer, who is almost 10 years younger than Manolas....

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Romagnoli-Demiral > All above
Unfortunately for Milan, Gazidis will make them the new Arsenal with already a salary cap of 2.5M scaring away any potential big transfers....

·
Registered
14,993 Posts
Are the three defenders of Inter suited to a 3-man defense? Skriniar should be the left center back, who is going to be the right one between Godin and De Vrij? I bet that there will be surprises and we will hardly see those three together.
I think you're right.

Not necessarily about Skriniar being LCB (although it's possible), but about those 3 not being a unit.

Bastoni might have to be used on the left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts