Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serie A welcomes artificial pitches
Tuesday 25 January, 2005
The Italian Football Federation has confirmed that Serie A clubs could be playing on synthetic pitches as early as next season, much to Milan’s delight.

“We have to ascertain whether the new generation of synthetic playing fields affect the environment and players’ performances,” explained FIGC chief Franco Carraro.

“Once that has been verified, I think an artificial pitch can be used in the top flight from next year without problems.”

The ban on so-called ‘plastic pitches’ has been lifted by UEFA for its international club competitions, opening the door for League football to use this type of ground.

Milan and Inter have long been calling for the chance to refurbish the troubled San Siro playing surface with one that would not require regular ‘refills’ with plots of grass flown in from Germany.

“The UEFA decision is bases on the notion that it is better to play on a good artificial pitch than a mediocre natural one,” added Carraro.

The Rossoneri were first to react after this announcement and pointed out this would be every bit a technical issue as an economic one.

“Playing on an artificial field means it is totally straight all the way through,” said Coach Carlo Ancelotti. “There are no holes and no bumps, so the ball runs quickly and true. It’s the perfect environment for technically gifted players who like to pass the ball around.”

====

I know some people have strong opinions about this, what do you think? Will it somehow negatively affect the game or are these pitches just as good?

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
I'm not sure I like this, then again, unless these pitches are tried out, they shouldn't be dismissed easily. And as Interista has stated, goodness knows it can't be any worse then the real grass at the San Siro.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
They've been using this plastic stuff at Milanello for years, so the Milan players are used to it. Anything is better than the relaid and/or dried-up turf at the San Siro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts