Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is another battle similar to the one of Sampdoria, Udinese I believe are on roughly the same level as Sampdoria!!!

They have a dangerous midfield when fit, but Pizarro is likely to be out, and Im not sure if Pinzi will play... but Jankulovski, Jorgensen and Fava are real danger men!!! Udinese are struggling to score though even if they create the chances, they are also good in defence so this will be tough!!!

Early on in the season we beat them 2-1 in Udine, thanx to Montella's winner but they showed in that match that they are capable of upsetting teams, let alone their 2-1 win in the San Siro before Xmas, and despite the 4-1 loss in Juve, they were 1-0 up until the last 15 mins!!!

I expect more of the same from Capello this week, Totti, Cassano and Carew to start... Lima to be LWB... although we may welcome back Samuel and Chivu and probably Pelizzoli (if he had no major problem) to the Roma defence which is a very warm welcome indeed :D

The team I expect from Capello is...
Pelizzoli
Zebina Samuel Chivu
Mancini Emerson Dacourt Lima
Totti
Carew Cassano

doesnt take a rocket scientist to work it out I beleive!!! 1 mistake we made v Samo was the fact that Carew and Cassano almsot swapped positions, I think its best if we leave Cassano as the left winger and put Carew back in the middle, Carew played too wide for me v Samp!!! And Cassano in the centre/right was not as good and its best if he plays left where he can cut inside!!! From that team I would give Candela a chance to start once more ahead of Lima, but thats about it... It may be too soon to play Montella yet!!!

Prediction: 2-0: Cassano, Totti

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Surely not an easy game. It all depends on Inter-Udinese on Wednesday. If Udinese manage to go through to the semis they'll be boosted like hell and vice versa.

I guess Roma will win this one. 1-0 Montella will score.

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Deano said:
This is another battle similar to the one of Sampdoria, Udinese I believe are on roughly the same level as Sampdoria!!!
Not more because more of our best player are injured
Deano said:

and Im not sure if Pinzi will play...
he will back at the ends of the month....:(
Deano said:

but Jankulovski, Jorgensen and Fava are real danger men!!!
but noone of tree in this period score... and Janku are 3 games that don't play so good because seems he's not interest to play for us and have his mind already to Juve(...his future team...)

Deano said:

Early on in the season we beat them 2-1 in Udine,
we deserved the draw agains you :)
Deano said:

The team I expect from Capello is...
Pelizzoli
Zebina Samuel Chivu
Mancini Emerson Dacourt Lima
Totti
Carew Cassano
our probable is (unfortunately because we have Pizarro, Pinzi, Iaquinta, Nonvethe and Jancker out)

------------De Sanctis----
Berotto----Sensini----Kroldrup
Castroman---Pazienza---Muntari---Pieri
-------Jorgensen-------Jankulovski-----
-------------Fava

Deano said:

Prediction: 2-0: Cassano, Totti
yea unfortunately i think so too

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
01/19/2004. Vincenzo Montella picked up an injury during today's training session with Roma.

The Italia forward had been sidelined for two months this season and has only recently recovered. However this latest problem means that he will have to postpone his comeback.
SA Europe

------------------------

Nice goin' :eek:

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
No way would i start Lima. The guy does nothing constructive against Samp, he gets subbed and has an attitude about it. Cap's gotta play Candela, he looked back to me, if that is the case we may be in the possesion of the best defensive, left sided midfielder in europe, once again. Mancini was awful against Samp too, boy this guy is inconsistent.

What i would like to see Cap do is this, revert back to the midfield system of the Scudetto season, still play 3 upfront. What i mean by the Scudetto system is the one with Cafu and Candela. One would recieve the ball, attack the opponents wing while the other would push toward the centre, also pushing out the centre midfielders to whichever flank is open, incase of a counter attack.

E.g- Candela--Tommasi--Assuncao--Cafu.
Cafu makes a run forward with the ball, attempts to expose opponents flank, we revert to this: -----------Candela>>>>--Tommasi--Assuncao--. The opposition(if Cafu is tackled), cannot move the ball to the right side to expose Candela fast enough, Candela would be back in time, with Cafu back in position.

I know there is no need to change a winning system, that is true but we have struggled against the big teams, that is tantamount to the fact that we can only attack on one side- Mancini's side when Lima starts. Lima has no ability going forward, the guy can't even defend. Our midfield has been overhauled in so many games, our ability to only attack on one side is the reason. The opposition can double up on Mancini. Lima's inability to attack means that Cassano has to play on that wing. With a quality player, able to attack and defend, it eliminates the neccesity of having Cassano attack from the wing. In fact, Cassano could almost have a free role, or be played upfront much more effectively. Our midfield will also have much, more power, we could attack via either flank, opponents would be spread like butter, gives Emerson time to create more as well.

My line up for the Samp game would be this:

---------------Pelizzoli/Zotti

---------Zebina---Samuel---Chivu

---Tommasi--Emerson--Dacourt--Candela

-----------------Totti

----------Carew-----Cassano

Tommasi was superb for us on the right wing last season when Cafu was injured, id go as far as saying, during those 2 months he was our best player, his form has been tremendous of late. Candela has to be on form for this to work, otherwise De Rossi could provide a similar function but i genuinely think Candela is on the way up. Montella got another injury so he wont make the game i think, furthering the notion that we need a new striker. Whats up with Pelizzoli anyway??

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Early word is Montella may be out 30-40 days. I hope this isn't the case.:(

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
I hope so too. It would be horrible to lose Montella for so long.:(

Anyway, I am also fully in favor of reverting to the old wingback strategy that was so successful in 2000/01. I've said many times that Lima's inability to attack puts too much pressure on Mancini and forces Cassano to drift too far wide. Candella showed signs of improvement towards the end of the last game, maybe after a few more games he will come back to something near his best, but even Candella at 70% is better than Lima at 100%. But I would prefer to keep Mancini on the right, Tomassi still doesn't look at his best to me, I didn't see the Peruggia game but against Milan and Samp he wasn't great, steady yes, but his dribbling and passing left much to be desired, and that's what he needs for the wingback position.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
This promises to be another real exciting match at the Olympico! Udinese is a real solid club with a coach that knows how to get the most from his players. Don't be fooled by Pizarro's absence; the Ghanian, Muntari (sp?) promises to be better than Appiah. This dude is gonna be the real deal. He made SoccerAge's top Serie 11 players again this week. Udinese also feature some good young Italian talent (Pinzi, Fava) and a wily defense. Their 2-1 win at San Siro vs. the Euro Champs prior to Christmas was a masterpiece of a match - perfectly executed by club and coach.
I'm not prepared to call for Mancini's replacement on the right. Capello has used Tommasi like a tactician in the last few matches - extremely, extremely smart. Tommasi, The Warrior, was incredible vs. Perugia in going forward/fighting, and he provides the midfield cover needed for Mancini to roar forward. We saw that when Mancini provided Totti's 2nd goal vs. Samp. Would I have subbed Cassano for Tommasi? Never, been Capello has got it going on and he's made the right decisions. Stick w/ Mancini-Emerson-Dacourt, but replace Lima. I mean, it's time. I'm sorry to Lima fans.

·
Registered
58,019 Posts
Nerazzuri4life said:
I guess Roma will win this one. 1-0 Montella will score.
Sorry guys I guess I jinxed Vincenzo . So Roma will win 1-0, Cassano will score.

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Nerazzuri4life said:
Sorry guys I guess I jinxed Vincenzo . So Roma will win 1-0, Cassano will score.
Quiet, you! :fero: :tongue:

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Primo said:
Don't be fooled by Pizarro's absence; the Ghanian, Muntari (sp?) promises to be better than Appiah.
Appiah in Udinese was a God!
And what about Pazienza? He's the real man! We taked him from Serie C this year..... Muntari is not one new( for us..!) :D

Primo said:
Udinese also feature some good young Italian talent (Pinzi, Fava) and a wily defense.
...Pinzi still out.... Fava without Iaquinta or Iancker do nothing.

:heart: our defence

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
We're on the same page Deamandred my friend;) I can feel Candela's return, hes risin up again. Eurosport will be showing this game btw, we're gettin a lot of coverage lately aint we??:)

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
There's a lot of coverage of Roma here in Bulgaria too, they have shown nearly all of our games so far.;)

I watched part of the second half against Samp again today and Candella looked even more impressive, he went past two players with ease(just right the penalty save by Zotti), I remember that he made a great run right at the end which Tomassi unfortunately ruined by electing to shoot after receiving the ball from Candella when Candella was in a great position to score...

Hopefully the trend continues against Milan in the Cup..

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
his dribbling and passing left much to be desired >>

Tommasi's passing has been very good lately, I think. It's hard to fault him for his passing vs. Milan when his perfect launch to Carew provided us with that key away goal. ;)

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
He also set up Totti's sublime goal against Samp. Tommasi isn't going to get better without practice. We saw him left out of a lot of games last season, he started playing when we were struggling with injuries but it took playing time for him to reach his peak. Hopefully, Candela will be the same.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
But he's made many mistakes in passing too, and he's still much better as a central DM than as an attacking right wingback IMO. I really like Tomassi, but I much prefer Mancini on the right.

BTW "He set up Totti's sublime goal against Samp"-wasn't that just a simple 5-10 meter pass in the middle? Hardly qualifes as an assist, Totti still had to get pass 6 Samp players too. Not that I am taking anything away from Tomassi,mind you, he had a very good game but I had to point that out. ;)

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Mistakes he's made have probably been due to not playing, hes getting older, the pressure is on him now more that ever, wouldn't you be nervous in his position? Mancini looks great at times but he makes so many mistakes its not funny. His blatant miss against Samp and losing posession to conceede the goal are just two prime examples of his inconsistency, on form hes great but can we afford to continue starting somone who can be so lacklusture and defensively weak at the same time? Here's a thread i actually looked up about a week ago, discussing the same point with some 'Tommasi haters'- http://www.xtratime.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105370&highlight=tommasi
Anyway, ive hyped the guy up enough, i just think it would suit the Scudetto system superbly to have a player that can attack and defend. Jury's still out on Mancini for me im afraid..

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
wasn't that just a simple 5-10 meter pass in the middle? Hardly qualifes as an assist >>

It's the way the Warrior won the ball back before hooking w/ Totti that he deserved credit for in that instance.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts