Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread was Ljubo's idea, a great idea which is nothing less than we'd expect from a Hercegovac;)

I'm a Milan fan myself and hopefully some of you are as well.

Here are this weeks games:

WEEK 20TH
January 26

Parma Bologna

January 27

Atalanta Fiorentina
Chievo Juventus
Lecce Brescia
Milan Udinese
Perugia Verona
Roma Piacenza
Torino Lazio
Venezia Inter

Parma host Bologna with Parma needing a win to get out of the relegation zone, what a horrible season they're having. Nothing's going right for them, not offensively and not defensively.

The biggest game of this round is probably Chievo-Juve. Chievo has fallen off the pace a bit after a great start, but should still be some tough competition for Juve. Not sure if Tudor's back from injury, but I doubt it.

It's an important game for Milan against Udinese, a must win almost. I'm sure Milan can pull it off since Udinese isn't very strong and if Milan wants to contend this season, we've got to win these sorts of games.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You know, as a die hard Milan fan, I am pretty depressed about the season right now. Not that I lose all hope, but I think that 4th place and a CL spot would be as good as we can hope for.

All we need to hold that spot now is a win and a Chievo tie or loss. Not that hard, considering Chievo is playing Juve.

Right now there are only two races really. The race for 1st (Roma vs Inter, and MAYBE Juve) and for 4th, which is Milan and Chievo, with Bologna and Lazio in the mix. Damn, I really hope we can get that CL spot, cuz if we don't Sheva won't have much of a good reason to reject Real's offer. Also, I don't think we will be able to sign world class players as a declining club ( a la Beckham for the right wing that we need to fill). We will see, and keep you fingers crossed for Udinese!!! The last time we played them it was quite an exciting one!

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Great Idea

so we just write all the stuff going on in the serie A in here or?.... cuz if so its even a better idea it saves us opening all these small threads instead it concentrates it into one BIG one!

plus Serie A is my favorite foreign league and yes I am one of those A.C. fans!:D and i do play seria A on pro line every week! and never win:depress: :cool: shows how much i know;)

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
For the weekends games nothing is bigger than Chievo-Juve.

As far as the season goes if Roma, Inter, or anybody else slips up the can afford to do so. But Chievo is one hell of a surprise and because they "shouldn't" be there than they have less games to claim a guaranteed 3 points. Anybody know Baggio's status?

Bol or 2
Ata 1
Chi 1
Lec 1
Mil 1
Per 1
-T- x
-T- x
-T- x

Great three Milan fans already.

Ljubo learn to keep your mouth shut!

c'mon inter.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're being too hard on Milan satanjones. We might be well back right now, but when we win lo scudetto a few years back, we had to make up a lot of ground on Lazio and we did it.

Javi Moreno seems to be scoring lately, even if it is only in the Coppa. If he can do the same in Serie A and if RuiCosta can finally start doing what we all expected him to do, we could finish strong.

Keep in mind Serginho was injured a while and he makes an important contribution to the team.

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a horrible loss to Udinese, these are the games that must be won if we wanna be champs.

MILAN - UDINESE 2-3 (2-1)

Serie A 2001-2002, Week 20th
Milano
Sunday January 27th, 2002

Milan: Abbiati 6, Helveg 5, Costacurta 5.5 (73'Laursen 5), Chamot 5.5, Kaladze 5, Contra 5 (69'Pirlo 5), Albertini 5, Donati 5, Serginho 5.5, Josè Mari 6 (46'Javi Moreno 5), Shevchenko 5.5.
(S.Rossi, Brocchi, Umit, Simone).
CT: Ancelotti.

Udinese: Turci 6.5, Gargo 6, Manfredini 5.5 (26'Scarlato 6.5), Sottil 6, Martinez 6.5, Pinzi 6 (70'Jorgensen 6.5), Pizarro 7, Helguera 6.5, Pieri 6.5, Muzzi 7, Di Michele 6 (73'Iaquinta 6.5).
(De Sanctis, Caballero, Marcos Paulo, Almiron).
CT: Ventura.

Referee: Trentalange.

Scorers: 6'p Shevchenko(M), 13'Serginho(M), 34'Muzzi,
54'Scarlato, 78'Jorgensen.

Corners: 7-6 Milan.

Booked: Sottil(U), Scarlato(U), Helguera(U), Albertini(M),
Pizarro(U), Javi Moreno(M).

Attendance: 40000.

Note: on 45' Turci(U) saved a penalty by Shevchenko(M).

There's the offical report from www.italian-soccer.com

Seems like nobody had a good game, but it's good to see Serginho score.

Ancelotti needs more time to settle, but time is not something he has:(

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We need to improve our defence. I think laursen has been good since coming over, but not good enough. Chamot shouldn't even be there and Billy's just too old now.

The injury to Maldini is showing it's effect but even with Maldini in the lineup, it's not a strong enough defence.

It's almost a joke of a defence when you compare it to Juve or Roma. Juve has Tudor, Montero and Thuram, arguably three of the best defenders in the world. Not to mention the fact that they've been linked with Nesta a few times in recent months.

All the while we have a guy like Chamot back there. Juve's benchers are better than our starters.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think our problems would be solved if we learned to play well and excited as a team. Look at teams like Chievo, who are there defenders? Can you name them? Yet they are 4 points ahead of us.

It's all about the total team package and we haven't gotten there yet. I think its all about Inzaghi too. We didn't have many poor games with him in there at all, when is he coming back anyway?>

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
milan was better last year when terim was a coatch,anceloti is not good enought but can't blame him...well,actually i don't know problems of milan,i know that ruicosta is injure and maldini but other boys are not brilliant,but u are not too bad,u can still go in intertoto cup;) i wonder if Inter winn this year scudetto,but i doubt on that,Juve n' roma are in better form and they have better players who can hit the goal and not only vieri in Inter,mad

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am posting to MM but finally some Croats to talk about Magico Milan.
We have 1 hour 15 min to loan Dario Simic what would be excellent move.
I am dissapointed as team has lost it's spirit and about tactics 3-man defence is ideal cause of right-wing problem.

But let's hope for better days!

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've created a monster!

Never ask what you wish for lads, never!:(

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
btw,

Milan's main problem is they like other big clubs expect to win everything all the time. Every club has its downs and it appears these next few year are going to be slow.

THis team cannot compare to the Sacchi-Capello teams. It will be next to impossible to rebuild what they had.

Also

can you believe Chievo?

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chievo had good team spirit which brought them to where they got in the first half of the season. Unfortunately for them, that'll only get you so far. You simply must have the talent at your disposal in order to compete in a full season.

As far as Milan goes, we lack the central defender to orchestrate things. Even with a healthy Maldini, he plays on the left so cannot marshall the defence.

RuiCosta has been a soar point as well this season, since the expectations were so high but the performances have not been up to par.

·
©
7,230 Posts
Simic stayed at Inter. I really hope that Chievo can keep up and finish near the top. I am sick of these rich Italian teams trying to buy championships and success. :rolleyes:

Like Lazio, what is the point of having a youth team when they never end up playing for the senior team.

·
Registered
21,985 Posts
well

I have to say I am a Milan fan still, but's not quite the same without Zvone...

Maybe I am leaning toward Juve and our great Tudor...

I do hate Lazio with a passion. I will never forget the disgusting arkan banners that made our Boksic sick to his stomach...well that and having to play on the same team with the king of a$$holes Mijahlovic (spelling-well who cares)...

Za Dom Spremni

·
International
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was a disappointing performance by Milan against Nazio today. The midfield couldnt' click at all and RuiCosta really needs to step up his game when he comes back from injury.

As it stands, I don't believe the scudetto is in reach but there's still a slight possibility.

·
Registered
32 Posts
IVO you are dreaming. No chance at Scudetto. That would require 4 teams ahead of us (all very good teams) struggling miserably for the remaining 13 games. I'm sure it has never happened.

As for the CL spot, it is still not too late and it is CRUCIAL to get into the CL next year and get back on track. Chievo is still good, so making up the 4 points will NOT be easy, but it is possible and perhaps even probable. I would support Chievo if they weren't the [email protected] in front of us.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
Hate to say it guys but the race is going down to Roma-Inter-Juve

Milan have already dropped too many points and it looks as though Chievo are about to write their last chapter.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
- NEWS

Friday, February 8, 2002
Clash of the titans in Serie A
By David Alexander

ROME, Feb 8 (Reuters) - No game in Italy could more readily be described as the clash of the titans when Serie A champions and current leaders Roma host second-placed Juventus on Sunday (kick-off 1930 GMT).
Roma have not lost at the Stadio Olimpico since March 2000 while Juventus have won their last six.

Fabio Capello's side have the psychological edge, having beaten Juve 2-0 at the Stadio delle Alpi earlier in the season and come back to draw 2-2 with their Turin rivals last season - a result that prompted their championship victory.

Roma's season has been built on a strong defence, having conceded just 14 goals while Juventus have scored the most, 41.

Roma president Franco Sensi prompted anxiety this week by demanding that an international referee be brought in to deal with the game in light of some decisions in favour of Juventus in the past.

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, who has recovered from a slight knock, is well aware of the importance of the game.

'The teams are separated by a single point, so you could say they are more or less equal,' Buffon was quoted as saying by newspaper Corriere Dello Sport on Friday.

'We know how strong Roma are at home but we're going there to win. It's not going to be a decisive game, but it will be important.'

Roma's recent success has been built on a settled line-up, which remains in doubt for Sunday's game. Brazilian midfielder Marcos Assuncao is definitely out after a knee operation and wing-back Cafu is again a doubt although he is expected to return.

'We know they will not come for the draw,' said Cafu. 'We may be that champions but that is the past now and we must look to a new story.

'Beating Juventus in Torino was not easy and the win earlier this season was my first at that stadium. That night we rediscovered our confidence but whoever wins, it will not be a matter of life or death.

'We simply know that all that matters in football is results.'

Juventus only have one doubt with midfielder Cristian Zenoni out with flu.

Other matches this weekend: (kick-off Sunday 1400 GMT unless stated)

CHIEVO (4) v UDINESE (10) (Saturday, 1930)
Chievo have resolutely held on to a Champions League place despite their stuttering form, which included missing two penalties last weekend. Winger Christian Manfredini will be hoping to do enough to impress Giovanni Trappatoni in time for the World Cup.

Udinese have settled into mid-table comfort and despite suffering knocks last week Giampiero Pinzi, Gonzalo Martinez and David Pizarro will be fit for the game.

ATALANTA (12) v BRESCIA (15)
The Lombardy derby will focus on the reception Carlo Mazzone receives from the fans he vilified in the earlier fixture between the teams. But after going out of the Italian Cup on Thursday and slipping into the relegation zone, this has become a massive game, especially now Brescia's inspirational Roberto Baggio is out following his knee operation.

Atalanta have relied on the input of Cristiano Doni for goals and both sides have let in an abysmal 37 goals this season. The home side will also be without the suspended Massimo Carrera.

BOLOGNA (6) v INTER MILAN (3)
It will be interesting to see how Inter shift the focus of attention away from Christian Vieri, who they have relied on for goals in the absence of Ronaldo and Alvaro Recoba. Much will depend on the form of Mohamed Kallon, who has not scored since before Christmas but defender Ivan Cordoba is suspended.

Bologna welcome back Matteo Brighi, Marcello Castellini and Carlo Nervo from suspension but Giulio Falcone is banned. Former Italy forward Beppe Signori could return after two months out injured with a place on the bench.

LECCE (16) V VERONA (7)
Lecce, who have not won in five games, are boosted by the return of Gica Popescu after a one-match ban but David Balleri is suspended. Verona set a new club record for six consecutive home wins last week, but Alberto Malesani's men also come from six straight away defeats and have doubts over forward Mario Frick.

AC MILAN (5) v PERUGIA (11)
Milan's dreadful season took another knock during the week when they went out of the Italian Cup and their task on Sunday is made harder by the suspensions of Cosmin Contra and Demetrio Albertini. Massimo Ambrosini and Manuel Rui Costa return from long injury lay-offs.

Perugia will be without captain Giovanni Tedesco and former Juventus midfielder Fabian O'Neill may make his debut following the January move.

PARMA (13) v LAZIO (8)
Parma and Lazio were both expected to compete for the title this season and neither has come close. But Parma's form has been improving of late and their move out of the relegation zone suggests they will be a test for Lazio's weary players.

Lazio are boosted by the return of captain Alessandro Nesta from injury - just in time to replace the suspended Fernando Couto, and they will be hoping not to let a lead slip as they have done in their last two games.

TORINO (9) v PIACENZA (14)
Torino's draw with Inter Milan last week underlines their superb form this season and victory would go a long way to ensuring their survival. But their task is complicated by the absence of defender Marco Comotto and midfielder Simone Vergassola.

Piacenza's Carmine Gautieri is suspended and much will again depend on the goals of Dario Hubner.

VENEZIA (18) v FIORENTINA (17)
Venezia have not been picking up the points their performances deserve, though a draw against Inter Milan two weeks ago underlines their ability. Captain Stefano Bettarini is banned and Daniel Andersson is expected to return while Fiorentina will be without midfielder Paolo Vanoli for three weeks with a thigh strain.

Christian Amoroso and Amaral are suspended, hardly encouraging for a side who have not won in seven games despite last week's improving draw against Roma.

I was hoping this thread could remain.

Anyways here are my picks. I can feel the tremors of the Roma-Juve match already, ULTRAS you have to admire them.

Roma-1
Chievo-1
Tie-x
Inter-2
Lecce-1
Per-2
Tie-x
Tor-1
Ven-1

1 - 20 of 48 Posts