Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Italian football is serious about trying to raise Italy's coefficient, they should look at the fixture list.

If I take the Champions League for example.....the games are reasonably spaced out for the group stage and the round of 16. However, the Quarter finals and Semi Finals happen in consecutive weeks making April and May very busy for clubs involved in the competition.

The most obvious thing the FIGC should do is start the overall season a week or 2 earlier and perhaps shorten the winter break to free up more space in the calender for these crucial months.

Take Juve in April for example. They have to play Inter, QF 1st leg, Pescara, QF 2nd leg, Lazio, Milan, Semi 1st leg, Torino and Semi 2nd leg all in that month assuming they progressed to the semis. 9 games in 1 month. This would obviously be similar for Milan.

Compare that to January where Juve would have played only 4 games (or 5 if you include Coppa Italia), and you know you have a serious scheduling inefficiency.

Another alternative is that for Italian teams participating in Quarters or Semis in either Champions League or Europa League, should be entitled to schedule a bye day and have the match re-scheduled later in the calender.

It makes painful common sense.

All European leagues have similar difficulties, but the FIGC should be more proactive to allow enough room in the schedule to stop Italian teams prioritizing the league over European success.

·
Registered
45,418 Posts
The increased number of CL and EL games is the real problem rather than the serie A calender. I'm in favour of the reduction of serie A to 18 clubs, but other than that I wouldn't concede anything.

·
Registered
23,832 Posts
I don't see a problem. I don't see a probem in playing just two games a week. That is not that much and compared to other teamsports that is not even often. Add to that that the teams that do participate in this extra competition often have a big squad with many players that don't even play. Use them

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see a problem. I don't see a probem in playing just two games a week. That is not that much and compared to other teamsports that is not even often. Add to that that the teams that do participate in this extra competition often have a big squad with many players that don't even play. Use them
Sounds nice in theory but in practice it doesn't work. If Juve or Milan played a B side every week they were participating in the champions league they would most certainly drop points.

Also, the current system is not working. Many may argue its the same for the rest of Europe which is fine but why wouldn't the FIGC try to give Italian teams an edge? The lower Italians teams go down the co-efficients, the less popular Serie A becomes and the less revenue it earns.

Just to give you an example, I live in Hong Kong. When I first came here in 1999, Italian Serie A and the EPL had equal as good coverage and nobody was that interested in La Liga or Bundesliga. Today, Italian games are not even broadcast (and I have BOTH cable boxes).

Of course there are many reasons for this. But Serie A will be able to attract better players if they are well regarded in Europe. The FIGC should be looking at every avenue possible to improve this. Freeing up space in the Calender is one such way to do so.

Actually, in the Champions league, Italy's record is not that bad over the last 9-10 years. Its been in the Europa league that really hurt. The Europa league is a lower competition with even MORE games if you want to win it. Italian teams don't prioritize it all. In order to encourage Italian teams to participate more wholeheartedly in the competition, scheduling could be a big help. Napoli was Italy's strongest team in that tournament (and have some decent experience in the champions league) yet completely de-prioritized it. This needs to change, if Italian football is to improve.

·
Registered
45,418 Posts
In order to encourage Italian teams to participate more wholeheartedly in the competition, scheduling could be a big help. Napoli was Italy's strongest team in that tournament (and have some decent experience in the champions league) yet completely de-prioritized it. This needs to change, if Italian football is to improve.
Let's make solid examples, Catenaccio. How should have fixtures been changed in order to make them consider the Europa League?

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
I think a solution can and should be found with the mix of making Serie A a 18 teams competition (like advocated by Lotito for several years now), starting the Serie A one week earlier and shortening the winter break for several days.

Do these steps and things will automatically regulate.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Catenaccio - Ceccarini is missing from your siggy.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I think there are reports that serie A is going to be reduced to 18 teams in the coming years.Yeh I do see your point Cat about the fixtures congestion.With clubs featuring in Europe,Serie A,Coppa Italia,players featuring for their National teams as well these days there is such a big demand.

And I do speak very similarly for other leagues as well.Looking at England for e.g who don't really have a break over Christmas&it does appear the demand is a fair bit heavier in the Premiership even Championship etc etc also:smileani:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts