Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look at Serie A this season it really appear's like it's showing sign's of getting back to what it used to be year's back.Quality player's still in their prime wanting and coming to play in Italy,the great club's like Napoli,Genoa,Fiorentina,Sampdoria&Torino (barring this eason anyway for now especially Toro more)and then you have Palermo,Catania,Atalanta even producing quite consistently.

Add to that the league doesn't really have any weak team's Roma is having a horror of a season as could be sadly,but even team's like Siena and Lecce make life hell home or away fro any club.Sadly Reggina especilaly and Chievo look really hot candidate's to go down into B at the end of the season and I hate to say this I hate to see Bologna following but something inside me say's they can survive.

I'm just saying not because it's Serie a but as obviously the Italian league,has alway's no doubt been known as one of the strongest really seem's to be making some stride's of much needed improvement.Of course the other serious issue's involving crowd trouble are still there but I just don't know what can really be done about that,unless we follow the model of the change's in England since the Premiership but can this be achieved in Italy?hmmm!!

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
In an strict football sense, neither of the three big leagues always mentioned, has or had a huge gap in level above the other, they are just different in their main ideology regarding the game; and even so, there are teams that played totally different in all of them.

If anything: a major quantity of money involve, better infraestructure or a more debatable quantity of great players, are the only things measureable to make a certain distance, that at the end? won't be a great distance on favour on any of them...

In fact not even other "lesser" leagues are way far from the level of the most influential ones...football in traditional countries, is pretty much the same with different predominant approaches.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The league took a big hit due to Caliopoli but it seems to be getting back on track. The only thing we need to secure the league's position is have the league champions (Inter) win the CL. :D (Of course, Milan can do their part by winning the UEFA Cup as well) ;)

In a football sense there was never a huge gap; a gap would take years to develop. But in terms of short term player development, if you look at the movement of players across leagues, there was a huge improvement this year compared to 2006. By this, I mean a huge development. In 2006 there were no stars coming into Italy. Now, the top 2 most marketable payers in the world (David Beckham and Ronaldinho) joined. It's true that Beckham and Dinho are/were considered pure marketting fluff at time of the move, but players like Milito and Zarate show that technically talented players are moving in again. Of course, Dinho has surprisingly proven that he's still one of the best players in the world.

In terms of physical infrastructure, Serie A is still way behind the EPL and has not made any gains yet. But this aspect is not as important, because even the EPL is behind the Bundesliga in this category, and the Bundesliga is far from its prestige back in the 80s.

·
Registered
59,258 Posts
I wish more Dutch players would go to Italy.

Understandable most are going to England (language and money), Germany (culture closest to ours and money) or Spain (money) but with no Dutch players in Serie A, we've almost forgotten about the league's existance in contrast to the 90s. While we're just a small country, it'd at least give me a sense that Serie A is big.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
It doesn't have the money to get back to what it was in the 90's, I don't think.

It is encouraging that mid table teams can hang on to the likes of Pandev and Hamsik, though.

·
Registered
27,416 Posts
I love the Serie A, I preffer it to the EPL, which is the only other league (except the cl) that I get to watch.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
one or more hot players like Quagliarella, Hamsik, Zarate , Milito , Lavezzi will surely end up at Mancity or Chelsea

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
I am very much enjoying Serie A this season. A lot of talent at the smaller teams.
:thumbsup: Its definately the mid table teams that are making serie A this year. The top teams are still a little behind the epl top 4 and barcelona but the rest of the league uis really nice.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
candy-man got it right on the nail....The big 4 in Italy haven't had much improvement in their squad, be it on the field or paper (bar Milan, probably?). Its the teams after that that's causing waves in the league...Fiorentina, while stronger than last season (Gilardino, Vargas, Jovetic, Melo), are struggling this season to be the undoubted 5th team of Italy...Napoli and Genoa aren't gonna look back from now as they are rising and....rising....Hamsik, Lavezzi, Santacroce, Milito, Palladino, Motta...just look at the names between these 2 teams...
Lazio too are back on track Zarate, Foggia and Lichsteiner on the team, not to forget Pandev and Rocchi...
Sampdoria, the top 7 last year, are suckin' this year...not coz they are weaker than last year, but coz their opponents r gettin' stronger!...Palermo...meh?..same thing...inconsistensy...Kjaer?...or the Georgian..or Cavani?..not as big as Napoli or Genoa..YET!

Then you have mid table Atalantas and Sienas of the league...one, extremely effective, but not eye-catching...the latter, very eye-catching (Kharja, Gallopa, Juniga) yet ineffective...

And not to forget Udinese...probably the most competitive league this year (not discounting Valencia's revival and Villarreal's surreal determination in La Liga)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I only watch Serie A these days. EPL is torture to me, I haven't made it past half an hour this season.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
i think Genoa has been the most entertaining team this season...playin' attack-minded stylish football, a la Roma or Fiorentina of last season.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Los Che Forever: Actually I deleted my post because I wanted to find more information first, but yeah anyways some guy on a different forum posted the max stats for the teams and Inter, Juve and Milan had higher total player stats than Arsenal and Liverpool. But All of those teams are rated 5 stars.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Los Che, you say the reason small teams are tallying up is due to the fact that big teams like Inter aren't performing well.....Well, why do you think they aren't performing so well? Its coz every other team in Serie A is giving them a run for their money. Therefore, they are struggling...Look at Roma, they beat Chelsea but are still suckin' in Serie A. I am not sayin they drew with Bologna coz Bologna is better, but because they underestimated Bologna...and apparently, you don't underestimate ANYONE in Serie A 08 - 09.

BTW, Lazio were always an above average team, even after their bankruptcy. They under-achieved last year. On top of that, they have strengthened their squad this year with Zarate, Carrizo, Lichts and co.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
candy-man got it right on the nail....The big 4 in Italy haven't had much improvement in their squad, be it on the field or paper (bar Milan, probably?). Its the teams after that that's causing waves in the league...Fiorentina, while stronger than last season (Gilardino, Vargas, Jovetic, Melo), are struggling this season to be the undoubted 5th team of Italy...Napoli and Genoa aren't gonna look back from now as they are rising and....rising....Hamsik, Lavezzi, Santacroce, Milito, Palladino, Motta...just look at the names between these 2 teams...
Lazio too are back on track Zarate, Foggia and Lichsteiner on the team, not to forget Pandev and Rocchi...
Sampdoria, the top 7 last year, are suckin' this year...not coz they are weaker than last year, but coz their opponents r gettin' stronger!...Palermo...meh?..same thing...inconsistensy...Kjaer?...or the Georgian..or Cavani?..not as big as Napoli or Genoa..YET!

Then you have mid table Atalantas and Sienas of the league...one, extremely effective, but not eye-catching...the latter, very eye-catching (Kharja, Gallopa, Juniga) yet ineffective...

And not to forget Udinese...probably the most competitive league this year (not discounting Valencia's revival and Villarreal's surreal determination in La Liga)
Nin Fio are mainly struggling a fair bit more in Serie A due to their Champion's leahue commitment's which they didn't play last season.Also it's obvious to see Serie A is stronger than last season,La Viola also has a hell of a tough group on the CL and sadly are pretty much gone barring a miracle.Watch when they're out of Europe with complete focus on Serie A what will happen they will just be concentrating nou doubt 100% on finishing top four.

Well depend's what happen's with them in the Coppa Italia but I really doubt that they will be concentrating too much on that anyway.It's also because Napoli and Lazio have been fairly constaent,adding Napoli are out of the UEFA giving them complete attention on Serie A just like Lazio no European commitment's,and genoa another team as especially have proven like last season can cause a real stir and push for at least a UEFA cup spot.

Udinese is probably a little more the unsung hero yet they've been consistently for season's having quite decent season,expecting Udinese to qualify for the CL really is a fair bit much.But they pretty much are there every season at least top half finisher's have proven that.Going on to the infrastructure problem that's no doubt a biggie we've seen the amazing transition in England for e.g also with what's been done to encourage more the family atmosphere type of support in England.

Obviously there is alot of long long work to do,I just hope as IMO the slow recovery keep's on happening.As I stated earlier on it's great seeing the good old traditional Serie club's back in A,now I'd like to see the obvious return's of Bari,Parma and Pisa sorry a few have to make way though oopsy hehe.:eek:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i think Genoa has been the most entertaining team this season...playin' attack-minded stylish football, a la Roma or Fiorentina of last season.
I havent watched too much Serie A this season (coz its at 3am in the morning here) but i have seen Genoa play a few times and i was very impressed. Milito has been awesome for them.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
serie a is one of the most favourite leagues for football fans in the world.
i like some teams there, their fans passion, have many talented players... etc
also, i would agree with all what said Bandiera, but i still think that the derbies and still are not as the great level of them few seasons ago, are they?

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
I havent watched too much Serie A this season (coz its at 3am in the morning here) but i have seen Genoa play a few times and i was very impressed. Milito has been awesome for them.
yea, genoa has been doing excellent season and milito has a great impact with them. the last game against reggina was an example for that. of course in addition to sculli, palladino, criscito and the new comer motta.. etc

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
On paper Liverpool or Arsenal's team isnt too much better than Inter, Juve or Milan if at all... maybe in terms of depth Liverpool is stronger than all apart from Inter, Arsenal are certainly not. Juve despite having some average players, also hold some of the best players of their position in the team too.

Anyway on this subject, its boring now, yes Serie A is certainly stronger, but no one apart from Serie A fans cares and there has been too many threads on the subject already and its just November.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts