Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up towards the end of the season, doubtful we can win Serie A but this match is a match we must win in case of any slip up in Milan. After all, if Milan draw again and we win then we can move to within 9 and can shorten that to 6 if we win the derby.

Lecce are a good team who loves to play attacking football, this can play in to our hands, but Lecce have been on a decent run of late, although they did lose at home to Perugia.

Its a must now, that we go back to the 3-4-1-2 formation which worked so well in the first half of the season. Its a shame that we have gone back to the haunted 4-4-2 which let us finish 8th last year.

My team v Lecce:

Pelizzoli
Zebina Samuel Chivu
Mancini Emerson Dacourt Candela
Totti
Montella Cassano

bench: Zotti, Panucci, Lima, Tommasi, D'Agostino, Carew, Corvia

seeing as the season seems over, even if it may not be, it is a good time to go back to the system which worked so well.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
there's a time for the 3-4-1-2 and another for a 4-4-2, being stuck on one thing no matter how things are going is what makes me so angry at Cap.

anyhoo, Candela seems to be regaining some of his form and it seems that he just needs some on pitch time. wonder if he's gonna be given freedom to act his role or be confined into a defensive role and hindering our left side attack in the process, why am I wondering anyhoo? there's no way in hell Cap's gonna play anyone but mighty Lima on the left.

there’s no point in thinking about the title now when we should be thinking about an automatic enter to the Champions, a match at hand doesn’t guarantee 3 points.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Formation doesn't really make a difference if the players are not on form and confident going into a game.

If our players play with heart on Sunday we will beat Lecce regardless if we play 4-4-2 or 3-4-1-2

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the 4-4-2 doesnt work against smaller teams who defend, even though Lecce are not one of them.

Itt is weird how the 3-4-1-2 we managed to find our way throuhg them matchs, with the 4-4-2 we cant beat these relegation or mid table battlers.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
I know Lecce is known for Chevanton, but check out their defensive duo if you have an oppt'y to see the match this weekend. I'm really liking Stovini, a prospect we looked at last summer but passed over. He's a great underrated Italian defender that we could get at a decent price. Also, Bovo is growing rapidly. He is still ours, isn't he? Maybe I'm wrong, but sure would like to get him back. I'm impressed by Stovini, tho. He played great when Lecce shut down Milan 1-1 earlier this year.
Recent past results:

11/30/2003 Roma-Lecce 3-1
03/03/2002 Lecce-Roma 1-1
10/21/2001 Roma-Lecce 5-1
02/18/2001 Roma-Lecce 1-0
10/15/2000 Lecce-Roma 0-4
04/09/2000 Lecce-Roma 0-0
12/05/1999 Roma-Lecce 3-2
02/11/1998 Lecce-Roma 1-3
09/21/1997 Roma-Lecce 3-1

Goal Scorers vs. Roma
Javier Chevanton 2

Roma vs. Lecce
Francesco Totti 6
Vincent Candela 4
Walter Adrian Samuel 2
Alessandro Faiolhe Amantin Mancini 1
John Carew 1
Damiano Tommasi 1

Ex players
Ex players (Roma)
Sebastiano Siviglia
Lorenzo Stovini
Marco Amelia
Cesare Bovo

Roma
Ex players (Lecce)
Francisco Lima

:star:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lecce in defence have been ok this season. lately they have been cocneding a few again though.

I think we can win this 2-0 or 3-1. Probably 2-0 actully now that Chevanton aint playing.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Deano said:
Its a shame that we have gone back to the haunted 4-4-2 which let us finish 8th last year.
Haunted? I am confused. Didn't the (4-4-2) formation provide us with our best victories of the season? I believe the (4-4-2) was used in the 4-0 win over Juve, the 6-0 win over Siena, the 4-1 win over Parma, and the 4-1 win over Inter. Roma's problems are more physical and mental at this point in the season, not tactical. Don't get me wrong, because I am a big believer in the (3-4-1-2) as it suits Totti and Cassano best. But we fail to realize that we don't have a legitmate target man to fully apply the tridente. Where Capello made a mistake was the (4-4-2) should been used only for big teams like Milan, Juve, and Inter. The tridente should always be used against smaller teams like Ancona and Reggina, because those teams played (4-5-1) where a third attacker was absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
11,399 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Could be a draw

don,t know what will happen, roma is on fire now after the shock lost to Bologna at own stadium. Hopefully roma will grab three points againts Lecce, we will see

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any more sarcastic posts and I will delete every comment you say from now on even if that is not our policy. It is starting to annoy me too.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
ignore him Deano, these 2-5 liners make him feel like a just crusader and important and any attention he gets only deepens his belief and makes him feel more important. sticks and stones my man, sticks stones.

Chevanton suspension is good news for us but the players psyche is what worries me. and Romanista10, 4-4-2 needs Totti, Cassano, Mancini and Emerson or Dacourt to be in top form for it to have effect the way Cap applies it. there's nothing wrong with it but we need the 3-4-1-2 to gain more attack power when needed or when the 4-4-2 is not working, but the question is do we have any player to fully fill in the second attacker spot in the 3-4-1-2 right now?

what do you guys think of a 4-3-3? I’ve wondered how Roma would perform with 2 wingbacks (Zebina/Panucci, Candela), 2 central defenders (Samuel, Chivu), 3 inner midfielders (Emerson, Dacourt, De Rossi) and Cassano, Totti, Mancini upfront? Of course Mancini (right) and Cassano (left) have the freedom to roam wide and come in. it's a bit too late in the season to experement anyhoo.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Of wolf and Man said:
what do you guys think of a 4-3-3? I’ve wondered how Roma would perform with 2 wingbacks (Zebina/Panucci, Candela), 2 central defenders (Samuel, Chivu), 3 inner midfielders (Emerson, Dacourt, De Rossi) and Cassano, Totti, Mancini upfront? Of course Mancini (right) and Cassano (left) have the freedom to roam wide and come in. it's a bit too late in the season to experement anyhoo.
What? You crazy, how could we ever play without Lima??:pp

Seriously, id rather have Montella upfront than Mancini but Mancini has gotta play, Panucci is just a dodgy player, he cost us the second goal against Bologna and i dont like his long balls one bit. Totti aint a striker, we need him to go much further back more than anything else..

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with the formation of Of Wolf and Man

maybe we can play Mancini right back and Montella upfront

Mancini use to be a full back after all and with 3 holding midfielders he would have enough cover to allow him to go forward.

Maybe something to try out when we have nothing to play for maybe at the end of the season.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Even though Mancini is probably a better defender than Panucci he's still probably not good enough to play there, plus we'd probably have to do without his charges forward, unless we wanted to end up like R. Madrid in defence. I forgot Lecce have Sicignano, thats a quality keeper right there, more incentive to start with a tridente perhaps Fabio?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Basically Romafan, if we get a good defensive left back, then sometimes the right back can attack as much as he wants... look at Milan, Cafu hasnt always been the best defensively but with Pancaro covering on the other side the team stays balanced.

I think we can have that type of defensive system.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
romafan53 said:
Seriously, id rather have Montella upfront than Mancini but Mancini has gotta play, Panucci is just a dodgy player, he cost us the second goal against Bologna and i dont like his long balls one bit. Totti aint a striker, we need him to go much further back more than anything else..
we're not playinga video game with strict formation and player positioning, I'm suggesting loose 4-3-3 and that's why I picked Totti, Cassano and Mancini up front. a mixture of speed and technique where players of the midfield/attack can fall back and still have someone to link up with up front. Panucci might be dodgy and Zebina might not have the heart anymore but you've gotta do with what you have :stress:

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
Deano said:
Basically Romafan, if we get a good defensive left back, then sometimes the right back can attack as much as he wants... look at Milan, Cafu hasnt always been the best defensively but with Pancaro covering on the other side the team stays balanced.

I think we can have that type of defensive system.
I hate that and think it's unbalanced, reserving one side for something and the other for another only cripples the flow of the team and make the play more predictable.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts