1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serie A Week 27 - 9/3/08 (19.30 UK)
Genoa - Juventus

Stadio Ferraris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus will be looking to get their Champions League charge back on course when they travel to Marassi for a tricky Week 27 encounter with Genoa. The Grifone are reeling after a shock defeat against Cagliari last time out, but their opponents on Sunday are winless in their last three.

The Bianconeri should have ended their brief skid in their last outing against Fiorentina in Turin, but they let a 2-1 lead slip late on, eventually losing the game to a last minute goal by Pablo Daniel Osvaldo. That followed a disappointing stalemate in the local derby against Torino, which Claudio Ranieri’s boys had more than enough chances to win, and an abysmal reverse against Reggina. However, with no Champions League game to distract them in midweek, the Old Lady will be confident of preventing another upset this weekend.

The defence will certainly be far stronger as Giorgio Chiellini returns from a one-match ban. Zdenek Grygera will be the man to make way for the Azzurri stopper, although the Czech will be hoping to retain his place in the team at the expense of Jonathan Zebina. That is likely to be the Bianconeri’s only change, as Pavel Nedved still has a game left to serve on his suspension for pulling Gianluca Comotto’s hair in the heated Turin derby last Wednesday.

Genoa, meanwhile, continue to shoot themselves in the foot by failing to put a decent run of results together which would see them competing for a spot in Europe. They really should have been eyeing up three wins on the bounce after seeing off Udinese and Napoli, but blew it with a disappointing loss at basement boys Cagliari. That match did, however, feature just the third goal scored by a Rossoblu defender this term, although that record puts the midfield to shame. Only Danilo out of the current crop has found the back of the net.

Fortunately, Marco Borriello has had his scoring boots on this term and is currently the top scorer in the Division. He is expected to be joined once again in an attacking trident by Giuseppe Sculli and Julio Leon, with Marco Di Vaio settling for a place on the substitutes’ bench. The only change Gian Piero Gasperini is likely to make to the side which lost in Sardinia will come in midfield, as Ivan Juric’s suspension opens the door for Abdoulay Konko.

Juventus and Genoa went head-to-head twice last term as they secured promotion from Serie B, although both outfits’ place in the Cadetti was due to off-the-field misdemeanours. The clash at Marassi finished all-square, but it was more memorable for Pavel Nedved’s dismissal for stamping on the referee’s foot! The Bianconeri won the return meeting in Turin, before following suit in this term’s corresponding fixture courtesy of an Alessandro Del Piero goal.

Keep an eye on: David Trezeguet (Juventus) – The French hitman is without a goal since the end of January, so he needs to get back on course soon if he is to usurp Borriello as Capocannoniere.

Form guide: Genoa (D L W W L) Juventus (W W L D L)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genoa (probable): Rubinho; Lucarelli, De Rosa, Criscito; Rossi, Milanetto, Konko, Fabiano; Sculli, Borriello, Leon

Juventus (probable): Buffon; Zebina, Legrottaglie, Chiellini, Molinaro; Camoranesi, Sissoko, Zanetti, Palladino; Trezeguet, Del Piero

Ref: To follow...

channel4

·
Registered
42,798 Posts
For your sake hopefully Genoa's performance isn't of a comparatively high standard as their boats, at least as far as the 19th century is concerned.

I've learned so much from the book :D

If one of your creative types are so ingenious as Abbé Faria, then you can set a smooth sail for victory.

I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
17,535 Posts
Unfortunately i'm also hoping for something to that effect...

A sad day when you want your club to lose to get rid of your coach, but we will go nowhere with him.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Indeed. It is not easy to think like this, but I am hopeless with Ranieri and this board. First they say they want to fight for the title, when the points keep on losing, they want the second place with all the confidence when we beat Roma, later they said they think it is funny to Sack Ranieri, because they are so sure about the CL spot, now that they started to realize how wrongs things are going, they lower their target to the maximum with "We didn't plan for the CL spot, UEFA spot will be a big achievement"..

I really don't want to read anything like this the coming weeks " We will stay in Serie A". :rollani:

They should realize now that "sacking" Didier was a huge mistake, and bringing worse than him was the Hugest one. Time to resign!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good news are Fiorentina are down 1-0 against Siena, and Milan is 1-1 with Empoli and seven minutes to go! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Siena 1-0 Fiorentina

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Milan now 3-1 up

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is good results afterall Milan will end up in top 4, no need to doubt about that, our main rival is Fiorentina.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Good that Siena, of all teams, beat the Viola though.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Actually even if we lose then we will stay in 3rd place. :D

:(

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
This is a perfect opportunity to gain some advantage on Fiorentina.

I'm sure we'll find a way to **** it up though.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I see a frustrating 1-1.

·
Registered
42,798 Posts
I hope you win as I feel pity for Hasuni and his blown bet. :D

I hope your financial situation isn't as desperate as Morrel's after this happening.

I'm not yet tiring of the blatant Monte Cristo references.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts