Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking before about making a thread like this. About those players who keep on playing in serie A despite never showing any value on the pitch or delivering. Others can contribute, but I would implore you to not just post a name of a player.

I will start with a player I questioned when Milan met Chievo. This player is
Riccardo Meggiorini
I really felt safe knowing he was leading their forward line.

After the goalless striker Meggiorini finished last season with Torino with no goals at all over 34 games you could think he would not be wanted by anyone, but Chievo picked him up on a free transfer and keep on fielding him. A player with no outstanding qualities who neither is a good provider or scorer. But this is not a former good player that is picked on past merits, he should be in his best years at 29 years of age, yet...

When 23 he showed that promise to become something as he came off two good seasons with Cittadella in lega pro and serie B. With 18 goals in 37 serie B games he could be seen as an interesting prospect and Bari can be excused for bringing him to serie A. (think he was there on co-ownership with Genoa)

With 31 games he was on the scoresheet 5 times and this season scored his highest number of played minutes ever (in serie A). Not good, but not bad either, yet this would turn out his best Serie A seasons as far as scoring. No, it was really the coming seasons he established himself as an Charlatan of the highest order. On another co-ownership from Genoa he played a season with Bologna and netted an impressive 1 goal in 29 games.

It is impressive to net that little in that many games, so the next season he spent on loan with first Novara in serie A and scored 1 goal in 12 games. Then for the second half Torino had the misfortune to loan him and for some reason his 4 goals in 18 serie B games convinced them to buy him fully.

By now we could start questioning the sanity of managers as there is not really anything that should motivate them to start him or having him come on from the bench. so he spends the next season in Serie A with Torino and almost match his serie A record of 5 goals as he nets a patethic 3 goals over 31 games. Last season then he feature in 34 games, but mostly comes on from the bench. Who knows why he is ever put on as any granny could net at least one goal over those 34 games, but not Riccardo. Then we came to this season were he have a slight chance at reaching his goal record of 5 as he now scored 3 goals over 22 games.

Can he do it? Not very likely.

outstanding qualities: I guess he can run.

Why he is a charlatan: He never have any good games and he almost never scores.

Clubs keep on playing him because: Probably because he played in Serie A before and therefore must be good enough for the division.

I'll post another player in about a week, I already have a name lined up!

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Daniele Bonera comes to mind...it's a rather familiar story. An Italian defender breaks into the starting line-up for a small club and is touted as the best thing since sliced bread. Ranocchia was like that, Astori...loads of others. They play one good season and the reputation is made for their whole career. Usually it's in a defensively minded team and the player's performance is very much influenced by always having extra players to cover for them.

In the case of Bonera, it was a defensively tight Brescia team with Baggio, Hubner and (for part of the season) even the young Pirlo playing. Rest of the squad could focus on covering spaces and not be exposed to counters. It's much easier for a defender to succeed with those tactics. But when the player moves to a big club and suddenly has to cover for counters and run towards his own goal, the task becomes much more difficult. It was quite obvious early on that Bonera is not a real top defender. He moved to Parma as the next Nesta or whatever but turned out to be just a run-of-the-mill Italian defender.

But at Parma he was still not at a top team and his weaknesses were not exposed. In Milan, his true quality was obvious right away and understandably he became a spare part. Of course that strong Milan team gradually turned into the joke they are now and even Bonera was somehow deemed good enough to start somewhat regularly. He seems to get worse each passing year, but so does the Milan squad and he keeps finding playing time.

But the level Bonera's at currently...I sincerely believe he's the worst defender in Serie A. You've all seen him play this season. Who's worse?

Then why does Milan keep playing him? Well, it's the Milan way, isn't it. There are always the bloody senators there. They used to be great players who could play well into their 30s on top level. Now they're stuck with useless duds like Bonera but the mindset can't change. Actually it's the same with the DNA bullshit they like to repeat at Milanello. We're heard all the high opinions about the Milan family, the Milan lab, the DNA whatever. Where are those now? Could it just be that Milan was successful because they had the best players? None of the rest matters much when you have Bonera as the new Maldini.

·
FINOALLAFINE
9,248 Posts
Yes, Meggiorini seems to live off one good game per season where he'll score a couple goals then not score again for another year!

·
Registered
23,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the level Bonera's at currently...I sincerely believe he's the worst defender in Serie A. You've all seen him play this season. Who's worse?
Maybe my next pick? ;)

Bonera can have a few acceptable games in a season, in the rest he really just blow. There are slow defenders that can cope with fast players, Bonera is not one of them.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Muntari belongs in MLS at best. That's being pretty generous though. I never understood what managers see in him.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
Ah ah ah, great thread.
I often think about these players when I read the lineups of teams like Carpi who dominate serie B with a bunch of nobodies. A lot of serie A well known players would never start for Carpi or at least would worsen them if they started for them. Truth is that if it was not for the tricks of their agents more players could easily find themselves without a job at the end of a contract with a serie A club.

·
Administrator
52,118 Posts
I knew Meggiorini would be mentionned just reading the title. Baffling player.

But it stems from the overly cautious mindset of experience of failure in the league is safer choice then no experience (youngsters). But also as Toni says it must be agent thing too, not just this dud, but see shitty players get relegated and then just sign for next about to be promoted team, they have "good" reputation just for having played at the highest division . It's normal to a point, but some are so awful you wonder why they bother, like the Cesena squad, one glance in summer and you knew they had no hope.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Meggiorini tends to do well against us, what with being an Inter Primavera product and all..

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Neither really fits this thread, though. Pereyra is a young talent who showed great promise in Udinese and got the expected move to a bigger club. He may not be Juve level but that's how transfers work, not every signing is a huge success. If not for Juve, I'm sure he can be a valuable player at another Serie a club. Maybe back at Udinese.

As for Pepe, well he simply doesn't play. He's just a case of getting a too long contract when he was signed. That happens, but it's not like he was a bad signing. For a couple of years he was a good player for Juve. It's just that they're a much better team now and Pepe is no longer good enough.

Now if Pepe would get an extension, that would be a different matter. Bonera, for example, got one two years ago, when he had already been a spare part for a while...

·
FINOALLAFINE
9,248 Posts
Simone Pepe is mainly there for team morale/spirit now! He is the team jester and everybody at the club loves him. Wouldnt be surprised if they keep him for another year just because of that or if he retires and becomes a youth coach at the club

I've always been a big fan of him, very useful squad player

·
Administrator
52,118 Posts
Nero has now officially gone completely over frigging board with his Pereyra hate, getting ridicolous.

·
Registered
23,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is a player that I been baffled year after year as another team gives him a contract. A defender that sucks at defending. I am talking about Cesare Bovo.

the first time I saw Bovo I like many others thought he could have some potential. He was quite comfortable with the ball and a good passer. Just a bit slow. But instead of really developing I would say he has regressed as a defender over the years. i can't remember I ever see him have a good game in defense, possibly it was just so long ago that I don't remember it. Even his supposed glory years in Palermo I mostly just remember all his mistakes.

some could say he has been found out after that, as he has played less and less. Yet he has been signed on by two serie A teams and just stay on in the league. That is for 5 years straight now. Hey, who wants to put on a defender who can't defend? Like previously mentioned player it seems like he just gets to play because he has previous serie A experience, no other merit needed.

Outstanding qualities: He can hit the ball well.

why is he a charlatan: He is a defender that can't defend, is late into challenges and really slow.

·
Registered
45,377 Posts
Another brilliant choice.

Like previously mentioned player it seems like he just gets to play because he has previous serie A experience, no other merit needed.
yeah, it's so stupid when there are very likely better players in minor leagues. I think favours to agents are also a factor in some cases, maybe not Bovo's and Meggiorini's.

·
Administrator
52,118 Posts
With him I'm guessing some teams were easily impressed by a left footed defender who can take set pieces and occasionally score. Kinda like Domizzi, who is an improved Bovo in that aspect.

·
FINOALLAFINE
9,248 Posts
stupidest comment i've seen on these forums, and you have to compete with game_over, quite the accomplishment
ha didnt help that Pererya went and put in one of his best performances yet last night! typical :howler:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts