Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past it was Juve and Milan fighting about who can fix games more. They get caught, a slap on the hand. Inter take their place in the top with a scudetto full of doubious calls. Now Berluscuni is the PM and Milan fighting for their previous glory again.

And you wonder why people don't attend matches and company don't sponsor teams?

Put Juve, Inter and Milan in a league of their own; the league of extraordinary cheaters and let other teams fight in honour. I am sick of the same story every year.

·
Registered
32,716 Posts
Everyone cheats in calcio, everyone has always cheated in calcio.

P.s. Sponsors and spectators were there in the '80s when Dino Viola and other crooks ruled.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.s. Sponsors and spectators were there in the '80s when Dino Viola and other crooks ruled.
The difference now people have alternative. Satelliate TV and Internet steams showing games from all around the globe. People realized football can still be played fairly.. and not surprisingly it is more fun when that happens.

·
Registered
32,716 Posts
Italian clubs don't suffer economically because of a lack of interest (not domestically, at least), but because of poor marketing.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing reflects lack of interest more than average attendance figures, which have declined dramtically.

It can be poor marketing among other factors such bad stadiums and such. But on a personal level I know at least 5 or 6 people who doesn't follow Serie A anymroe because they are fed up of curroption.

·
Registered
32,716 Posts
What I meant by marketing included poor facilities etc. Anything that can't be attributed strictly to the game itself.

Tv-ratings and sports paper circulation aren't down, to my knowledge.

... and even attendance figures have been sort of stagnant since Calciopoli.

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
It can be poor marketing among other factors such bad stadiums and such. But on a personal level I know at least 5 or 6 people who doesn't follow Serie A anymroe because they are fed up of curroption.
Wonderful, you have a little enclave going there. I never heard of someone like that.

But I guess they are as one-eyed as you. Only seeing things that goes for and never against. The thing on Kaka in the first half was not a penalty, but strangely enough you missed commenting on the three other incidents that could very well have been. Plus a clear freekick for Ronaldinho after a great run.

Hypocrite.

·
Registered
23,914 Posts
Would you be in favour of red card for dive in the box?
Does it matter? I mean I can't remember when I last saw someone get a yellow. I think it is a dangerous thing to do though. There is plenty of incidents were they did get a yellow when it wasn't a dive, like Totti in the world cup. Having a player sent off for a hard to judge thing like this could be very damaging.

·
Oje vita mia...
3,944 Posts
Nothing reflects lack of interest more than average attendance figures, which have declined dramtically.

You should also take note that assholes like Tosel and other corrupt officials are banning fans from traveling, and of course, closed our Curve for 4 games. Attendance would be better if a better system was used, not this crap just to fill the pockets of Tosel and Co.

·
Oje vita mia...
3,944 Posts
awful refs, i dont know if its cheating or not, how can refs be this bad?
The solution is easy: technology. But with technology, corruption wouldn't continue like it has...hence, corruption STILL exists because technology is NOT being implemented. And I don't want to hear any excuses, because we live in 2008/09 where every other major sports league uses technology to instill fairness.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Although it is temptignto think so, I think the inaccurate decision made each week is more because of incompetence than malice. Many referees in Serie A are not of the rquired standardm while others like Saccani who distorted the Udinese-Roma game are having a bad season.

·
Registered
32,716 Posts
Technology would not solve the problem as much as ruin the game. Who would be to make the decision as to when video-footage should be used during a game... and who would analyze the footage? People are yelling "conspiracy" every time a ban is inflicted based on videofootage already.

Football isn't like american football where you have natural breaks all the time.

Btw, please don't tell me corruption doesn't exist within cricket, basketball or baseball.

·
Oje vita mia...
3,944 Posts
Technology would not solve the problem as much as ruin the game. Who would be to make the decision as to when video-footage should be used during a game... and who would analyze the footage? People are yelling "conspiracy" every time a ban is inflicted based on videofootage already.

Football isn't like american football where you have natural breaks all the time.

Btw, please don't tell me corruption doesn't exist within cricket, basketball or baseball.
Well, there are breaks during football: After a goal is scored, after a PK is called. Instant replay is just that, instant. It should be used in these situation when such calls are not so obvious. Each team can have a booth like they do in America football to watch the game on video, and if there's a problem they each get one or two chances to appeal. If they are mistaken, either the manager gets a yellow or that time wasted is subtracted from injury time.

Yes, corruption exists in every sport, but we're talking about ref. corruption not players. Baseball, and I don't think cricket, have instant replay. Basketball sort of does, but corruption in basketball is harder to control because it's a high pts game where the spread is more important. A goal in football can make or break the game, the weight it greater.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
If they are mistaken, either the manager gets a yellow or that time wasted is subtracted from injury time.
Usually there would be no lost time anyway, when was the last time a penalty was given or a player was sent off and this was not followed by at least a minute of complaints from one set of players (or sometimes both sets)? And of course, the video officials could be bribed too, but it would be much easier to punish them as they would not have the "I saw it only once and not from up close" excuse. Of course, there are many cases where a minute or so of watching replays won't help much but the most blatant mistakes will largely disappear.

·
Registered
32,716 Posts
Any incident would be disputed and in all the cases where the ref today waves "play on" you'd have to stop the game whether it be an off-side, a free kick, penalty. The game would change fundamentally. There's a reason why only 2 or so major changes have been made to the football rulebook since forever.

American Football is very different. There's a trillion breaks anyway in the game, it's not "real time" like football. I would't want 10 commercial breaks during each half.

·
Registered
32,716 Posts
... and most cases aren't clear cut anyway. Take the Kaka penalty this last weekend. One could certainly make a strong case that it was indeed a penalty. There was contact, Kaka was on his way in the opposite direction, no ball in sight for the defender.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts